• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

Have I commented on her cosplay performance before?

I know that I constantly trash this movie, because it's obviously garbage, but I don't recall talking much about her rendition of this character.

Keep track of these things for me, bro.

(:

'I didn't use that point to trash a film on top of all the other points I posted - so I got that going for me!'

:baiting:

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Grace is insufferable, but Charlie's Angels is probably a better film.

Hard to say. We haven't seen the film. And, like the comic book market where certain runs were made for a given market this is probably not targeting the average guy.

It would odd to think every film coming out of a studio MUST be geared toward the same audience every time.

12 minutes ago, D84 said:

Atom tickets?  Never heard of them.  Is this like that Rise of Skywalker beating Engame first day presales?

You should ask Disney. It's an investor in the company.

Atom Tickets Secures Series B Round of Financing

Atom Tickets, the first-of-its-kind theatrical mobile ticketing platform and app, today announced that it has completed a Series B round of financing from investors that include The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS), 20th Century Fox (NASDAQ: FOXA) and Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF). Atom Tickets is a social, mobile ticketing platform designed to make movie-going simple. Movie fans can use the service to purchase tickets and concessions, coordinate and invite friends without having to pay for them, and skip the lines at the theater. The app is available in both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

“We’re thrilled to partner with some of the most forward-thinking media companies, exhibitors and trailblazers in the entertainment business,” said Matthew Bakal, Atom Tickets co-founder and Executive Chairman. “By bringing convenience to consumers and innovation to theaters, we will enhance the movie-going experience and bring additional revenue to studios and exhibitors.”

"The Atom Tickets app and platform is bringing innovation to the ticketing market by empowering social networks and mobile devices to make the movie-going experience seamless and convenient,” said Kevin Mayer, Chief Strategy Officer of The Walt Disney Company. “Their technology not only adds value to the consumer, but also helps movie studios and theatres by providing deep consumer insights, advanced analytics, and concession and ticket couponing.”

Established in 2014, Atom Tickets’ Series A funding was led by Lionsgate. The app is currently available in select test markets, with a full national rollout planned for later this year.

ABOUT ATOM TICKETS

Atom Tickets is the first-of-its-kind theatrical mobile ticketing platform. Through its patent pending recommendation and personalization technology, Atom Tickets enables consumers to search for films, invite friends, buy tickets, concessions and more. The platform’s innovative targeting capabilities and data analysis maximize revenue opportunities for studios, exhibitors and brands. The free app is available in the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. For more information please visit www.atomtickets.com.

Edited by Bosco685

16 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Hard to say. We haven't seen the film. And, like the comic book market where certain runs were made for a given market this is probably not targeting the average guy.

It would odd to think every film coming out of a studio MUST be geared toward the same audience every time.

It doesn't seem to be targeting an audience that wants a film of substance.

The trailers usually tell a tale. If they're misleading, then, what the F were they doing releasing these trailers...?

31 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It doesn't seem to be targeting an audience that wants a film of substance.

The trailers usually tell a tale. If they're misleading, then, what the F were they doing releasing these trailers...?

I don't read Harley Quinn comic books. Many do, and are fanatical over the zaniness of the character. Otherwise why would her early appearances explode so high over the past few years?

Are her comic book appearances about a story of substance where you walk away thinking 'Man, that really challenged my values and beliefs'? I think our expectations for a comic book and film may not match who Harley is reaching out to. And that's okay.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I don't read Harley Quinn comic books. Many do, and are fanatical over the zaniness of the character. Otherwise why would her early appearances explode so high over the past few years?

Are her comic book appearances about a story of substance where you walk away thinking 'Man, that really challenged my values and beliefs'? I think our expectations for a comic book and film may not match who Harley is reaching out to. And that's okay.

Spec collectors buying drek. Business as usual.

"Substance" doesn't have to be existentially life-altering. Vapid content is ultimately meaningless. Just watch an adult film if you want stimulation. Can't think of any 'girl power' movies that don't suck that I could suggest as an alternative.

52 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Spec collectors buying drek. Business as usual.

"Substance" doesn't have to be existentially life-altering. Vapid content is ultimately meaningless. Just watch an adult film if you want stimulation. Can't think of any 'girl power' movies that don't suck that I could suggest as an alternative.

Erin Brockovich or Oceans 8 may be what you have as an expectation. Those enjoying a similar crazy production like the Harley Quinn TAS may just wanted a wild ride.

You don't have to like this. But trying to pick it apart before anyone here has even watched this film based on these trailers - repeatedly - sure doesn't seem like an informed critique. And it could be pure trash. So far from the social media explosion now that the embargo is lifted on this content it seems to connect strong.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Erin Brockovich or Oceans 8 may be what you have as an expectation. Those enjoying a similar crazy production like the Harley Quinn TAS may just wanted a wild ride.

You don't have to like this. But trying to pick it apart before anyone here has even watched this film based on these trailers - repeatedly - sure doesn't seem like an informed critique. And it could be pure trash. So far from the social media explosion now that the embargo is lifted on this content it seems to connect strong.

Never saw it, but Ocean's 8 wasn't any good IMO.

I don't like the trailers. They appear to pander and don't convey any sense of an actual Birds of Prey movie. I'm criticizing the trailers and lack of substance in "reaction". You can "react" to a movie without using buzz words and without reviewing/spoiling.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Never saw it, but Ocean's 8 wasn't any good IMO.

I don't like the trailers. They appear to pander and don't convey any sense of an actual Birds of Prey movie. I'm criticizing the trailers and lack of substance in "reaction". You can "react" to a movie without using buzz words and without reviewing/spoiling.

I realize you are in disagreement with this, though I pointed it out before. Studios have two embargoes nowadays. Film Social Media Commentary, and Film Review Commentary.

The quick and buzz-wordy social media comments are accounting for the latter not lifting until (I believe) 2/5/20.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I realize you are in disagreement with this, though I pointed it out before. Studios have two embargoes nowadays. Film Social Media Commentary, and Film Review Commentary.

The quick and buzz-wordy social media comments are accounting for the latter not lifting until (I believe) 2/5/20.

I'm aware of the embargoes.

I've seen "reactions" to films with substance and those without it. These reactions give me no pause to think that it'll be any good. I was hoping for better, and unsurprised with the current 'results'.

44 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm aware of the embargoes.

I've seen "reactions" to films with substance and those without it. These reactions give me no pause to think that it'll be any good. I was hoping for better, and unsurprised with the current 'results'.

That's fair. Though not sure what results you are referring to if the initial responses are extremely positive.

Sure, Grace Randolph is slamming this film. But that is her reinforcing the messaging she posted over the months it was going to be no good. I'll have to look for these other negative posts that BOP is just not good.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That's fair. Though not sure what results you are referring to if the initial responses are extremely positive.

Sure, Grace Randolph is slamming this film. But that is her reinforcing the messaging she posted over the months it was going to be no good. I'll have to look for these other negative posts that BOP is just not good.

As vague as can be "positive". Usually a very bad sign.

I'm not using Grace's 'reaction' as the crux of my perception, either. As I mentioned - she's insufferable.

The 'reactions' being as vague as they can be is the negative. Not that people are 'reacting' like it's bad. Normally the vague "it's great" reactions are when the movie is garbage and people are enamored by visuals or concepts (like "girl power yay") rather than something that is multidimensional entertaining. One of my sister-in-laws is like this. "Wonder Woman is great because she's a female and so am I!" No, that's not why WW is great...

I'm gonna hammer this turdfest until you see TROS and admit that it's 86% good.

19 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

As vague as can be "positive". Usually a very bad sign.

I'm not using Grace's 'reaction' as the crux of my perception, either. As I mentioned - she's insufferable.

The 'reactions' being as vague as they can be is the negative. Not that people are 'reacting' like it's bad. Normally the vague "it's great" reactions are when the movie is garbage and people are enamored by visuals or concepts (like "girl power yay") rather than something that is multidimensional entertaining. One of my sister-in-laws is like this. "Wonder Woman is great because she's a female and so am I!" No, that's not why WW is great...

I'm gonna hammer this turdfest until you see TROS and admit that it's 86% good.

:roflmao:

Oh, is that what this is? I just assumed this was another Captain Marvel situation prior to the film even being seen by anyone here.

You shine on, bright diamond. No skin off my back over this film. :kidaround: :baiting:

Just now, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

Oh, is that what this is? I just assumed this was another Captain Marvel situation prior to the film even being seen by anyone here.

You shine on, bright diamond. No skin off my back over this film. :kidaround: :baiting:

We discussed this already! We agreed that the Captain Marvel trailers were misleading and suggested it was gonna be a good movie. :pullhair:

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I just want to have a good fun time watching a movie...Any movie when I pay to see it at a movie theatre.  With work life issues pulling at you all the time, it's nice to get away and "escape" to enjoy a movie (or something else if that is what you like).  
I do watch high drama movies as well but usually wait until they can be streamed or rented.  

With January ending with a whimper (alas, Blake Lively’s The Rhythm Section earned just $235,000 in Thursday previews), it’s time to look toward the future... one day in the future! Yes, tomorrow is the first day of February, which means we can take a look at the few big movies opening in the second weekend of the month. 

Birds of Prey (February 7/Warner Bros.)

Opening next Thursday evening, director Cathy Yan and screenwriter Christina Hodson’s Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is generating some very positive buzz following its global premiere and a few sneak peaks over the last few days. I’m under print embargo until Wednesday morning, but... you can buy tickets here and here.

Pre-sales have performed well thus far, with Atom reporting DC Film’s third-best pre-sale opening day behind Aquaman and Joker. The Margot Robbie-as-Harley Quinn Suicide Squad spin-off cost around $95 million and carries an R rating, so (Joker notwithstanding) we’re probably not talking Aquaman ($335 million domestic/$1.148 billion worldwide) or Wonder Woman ($412 million/$821 million) business. Grosses comparable to Shazam! ($140 million/$363 million) would be just fine, especially in terms of (allegedly) offering yet more evidence that a DC Films release is now more likely to be “good” than “not good.”