• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I didn't watch any of the movie reviews posted yesterday, as I wanted to go in with an open mind. I went back just now to see if there was a video that you posted, didn't find it quickly....

It's a bit quirky, as quirky as the Batman Animated Series, it works. The Egg sandwich wasn't bad and made sense :) 

While I seem to say that it wasn't bad, I think the main take away is: it wasn't nearly as cringe worthy as the lines in the clips make it seem. That I do know. It had a nice flow, and didn't go out of it's way to make any point or statement of cringe worthiness lol 

Even the "I'm Harley frickin' Quinn" line wasn't too bad. The "We're going to have to work togetha" line is basically the end of the movie, and it fits with the circumstances and wasn't that cringe worthy.....

Y'all don't know it, but I'm being critical of this movie..... The audience laughed and laughed throughout and clapped at the end. NO ONE got up to leave at the credits. Sometimes at least a few do, but not this time......

I just don't want to "spoil" anything for the average movie goer @Bosco685 but then they're probably avoiding spoilers and stay out of this thread? idk :foryou: 

Do you think the film went after the general audience (probably not being R-Rated), and more towards a younger audience (18-39)?

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was wondering why it was R as well...

Before going in lol

Is not Adam west campy, it doesn't make fun of men. But only men get beat up, nut shots, and the women have flaws too. If someone wanted to they could make a case, but I really don't think it comes off that way....

The nut shots are basically in cinematic fight scenes and are just part of fighting. Given past threads of m ivie reviews, I noticed them, but they're not pointed out as the way to go or anything. Even girls get kicked in the crotch and or boobs in this flick.

its really kind of a free for all

Ha yea you kind of expect that, in the trailer you see her stomp some guys crotch. 

Full disclosure, I want the movie to do well especially for Robbie's sake since she's a producer.  I just don't know if this was the right approach for success.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Do you think the film went after the general audience (probably not being R-Rated), and more towards a younger audience (18-39)?

That's a good question but I'm unqualified to answer lol :sorry: 

If I had to guess it's for 18+ and not geared towards any certain gender, race or creed, but I know it won't fit in the "general audience" genre...... so I'm not sure :shy: 

It's portrayed as kind of a backstory, rather than a future to go with it...... like any Batman comic with a back-up for Robin.... it's just to give the characters a reputation....

I'll give my one tick off of the movie....

The main bad guy....

Why are his underlings obeying him, he never lifts a finger. He gets manipulated into thinking certain things are true by his cronies and makes an "order"

He seemingly towards the end dawns a mask and looks as though he'll finally get his hands dirty, but then at the meet up place, he just says, "I've brought about this great team, go get'em" kind of attitude...

It was kind of lame....

AND

the detective female in the movie, is still a detective because her male counter-part partner took all the credit and got promoted and is now her boss 

that was the only thing I saw as a "statement".... even if they didn't come right out and say it....

Trying not to give spoilers here :eek: eek!

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I know 18-39 will like it

I don't know what 40+ are into ??? I don't see a reason they wouldn't enjoy it....

so I guess it IS geared towards general audiences.....

I think this is the core market they targeted, and everything else was nice to have but not a priority. When you read the extensive positive reviews raving over this film, and then check their profile, they are definitely in that 18-39 range. Especially those stating 'Greatest DC film I have been to'.

Where Iger has set the very successful bar at general audience mass-appeal, and it is certainly massively working, not every film needs to take this approach. Joker and from the sounds of it Birds of Prey are not 'mass-appeal' candidates, and didn't need to be.

13 minutes ago, devilsrain said:

No no this is good.  Does the asian girl in the movie actually steal a diamond with d i k pics in it?  Or did I misread that.

No, not pics, she does steal the diamond unintentionally, and the diamond has info imprinted on it that the bad guy wants :foryou: 

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

No, not pics, she does steal the diamond unintentionally, and the diamond has info imprinted on it that the bad guy wants :foryou: 

The level of stupidity that goes into these rumors to detract from a film's release is incredible at times. And for some, no boundaries to what they will state.

Like the person that went out of their way to potentially disrupt the Wonder Woman release by creating the fake 'former WB associate' letter. Which they invested a lot into what turned out to be fake details later on confirmed by Patty Jenkins. 

Edited by Bosco685

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

The level of stupidity that goes into these rumors to detract from from a film's release is incredible at times. And for some, no boundaries to what they will state.

Like the person that went out of their way to potentially disrupt the Wonder Woman release by creating the fake 'former WB associate' letter. Which they invested a lot into what turned out to be fake details later on confirmed by Patty Jenkins. 

Ya and me not wanting to out right spoil the movie lol I get it. I prefaced by saying I stink at reviews! haha, I don't mind giving a build up to the release for those that might enjoy... but I'm with you, that I wouldn't start a "rumor" just to get buzz or whatever they're reasoning was....

It's a decent flick, with popcorn. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a chick-flick, which I "thought was the biggest complaint".....

But that's my own opinion, given certain threads, it's hard not to speak to those to qualm fears....... this movie doesn't stand out like joker, but is fun :) 

Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn will easily fly to No. 1 in the U.S. this weekend with a domestic box office of $50 million or more.

Warner Bros. and DC's female-led feature is the year's first studio superhero pic, and sees Margot Robbie reprise her role as Harley Quinn following Suicide Squad. Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Rosie Perez and Mary Elizabeth Winstead star as her superhero pals.

Directed by Cathy Yan, the R-rated offering is the weekend's only new wide release and will have to compete with Sunday's Academy Awards telecast, where Robbie herself is up for best supporting actress for her performance in Bombshell (Robbie also starred in Quentin Tarantino's award contender Once Upon a Time in Hollywood).

Birds of Prey follows hot on the heels of DC's global blockbuster Joker, which is up for numerous Oscars (star Joaquin Phoenix is a frontrunner for best actor). Joker is not part of the DC Extended Universe, where Birds of Prey will be the eighth such film in the DCEU.

The film, which cost cost $80 million to $90 million to produce after tax incentives and rebates, also flies into numerous markets overseas, where it is hoping to take off with $60 million-plus. The rest of the cast is led by Chris Messina, Ella Jay Basco, Ali Wong and Ewan McGregor. Sue Kroll, Margot Robbie and Bryan Unkeless produced.

7 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I can't see how they could ever get Phoenix Joker to be in the same movie as Robbie Harley.  Maybe the money will convince him but I don't see him doing it.

She might cheer him up.