• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,028 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, creaturefan95 said:

That is my copy of Ghosts #1!  :acclaim:

Actually I got the whole set in one go one night on Ebay for £1 each because it was an ungodly hour and no one was interested I was looking for TV Ghosts (go figure).(thumbsu It's a nice run and some great covers here's some of my favourite issues..   

17725-2503-19816-1-ghosts.jpg

2567c7776ce50abfe85acbe8ea7a8848269565c9_00.jpg

Edited by tv horror

Coming in June.

image.jpeg.421a4013810f8636d1182e642e3f13f7.jpeg

This collection includes The Black Cat (1934), The Raven (1935), The Invisible Ray (1936) and Black Friday (1940) in a 4-Disc set with a slipcover and new art.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3540989/four-classic-bela-lugosi-boris-karloff-horror-films-getting-scream-factory-blu-ray-collection/

13 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Coming in June.

image.jpeg.421a4013810f8636d1182e642e3f13f7.jpeg

I bought the DVD version that Universal put out a while ago, to replace the problematic DVD-18 of the Bela Lugosi Collection. Unfortunately, neither of the newer sets include MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE from the Lugosi collection (no Karloff).

52 minutes ago, Mike Scott said:

MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE

This is one of the better versions of the Poe story "Bad blood" as he drains the Working girl,  how did they get that pass the censor? This and the Invisible ray plus the Black cat are the best movies in this series. Oops I never knew about there being a problem on the Lugosi collection, I never checked as my VHS still works and I was future proofing.

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

Edited by tv horror

1 hour ago, Mike Scott said:

I bought the DVD version that Universal put out a while ago, to replace the problematic DVD-18 of the Bela Lugosi Collection. Unfortunately, neither of the newer sets include MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE from the Lugosi collection (no Karloff).

Thanks for that info about the Murders in the Rue Morgue.

45 minutes ago, tv horror said:

This is one of the better versions of the Poe story "Bad blood" as he drains the Working girl,  how did they get that pass the censor? This and the Invisible ray plus the Black cat are the best movies in this series. Oops I never knew about there being a problem on the Lugosi collection, I never checked as my VHS still works and I was future proofing.

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

I agree on how this got by the censor back then?

Surprisingly scary movie.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:
5 hours ago, Mike Scott said:

Thanks for that info about the Murders in the Rue Morgue.

4 hours ago, tv horror said:

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

I agree on how this got by the censor back then?

Surprisingly scary movie.

Murders in the Rue Morgue came out before the Hays Code was enforced.

1 hour ago, creaturefan95 said:

Murders in the Rue Morgue came out before the Hays Code was enforced.

Yes, however the big Studios had their own censors that checked the scripts, there's a famous story that while Carl Laemmie jr was out of the Studio for a few days they got The Black Cat through without censorship. Otherwise Devil worshipping was a big No No as well as flaying a person alive, after they found out it was changed to Sun worshippers. 

download.jpg

images.jpg

The Karloff/Lugosi collection is being retooled and I like where this is going! Vol. 2 will surely have MURDER? Any guesses on the other three?

FROM UNIVERSAL:

"As some of you know already, we recently moved the release date of the Boris Karloff/Bela Lugosi Collection into June. The reason we needed to do this was to sort out some unexpected developments that presented themselves after we announced the project. Which also brings us to the following…

We have had to change course on our art and as to what we call the set. Going forward it will be known as the UNIVERSAL HORROR COLLECTION: VOLUME 1 with the new artwork that you see listed here. We tried everything we could to preserve Joel Robinson’s beautiful illustration, but we couldn’t come to a solution to keep it unfortunately.
The content inside the set (4 films including The Black Cat, The Raven, The Invisible Ray and Black Friday) are all intact. Packaging will still include slipcase and a booklet. Extras will be announced the next month.
Additionally, we can report today that we will be announcing VOLUME II next month that will include 4 more classic Universal films. Be on the lookout as to what they will be soon!
Thank you for your understanding and support on this unique turn-of-events." 

newspic.jpg.51157df5356ba50c994090aea459df52.jpg

Edited by Mike Scott