• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,021 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2023 at 5:29 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

Speaking of Gold Key mystery comics, it's time for a Mystery Comics Digest Party! Woo-hoo! I bought these on the Boards recently; I used to pick them up in the supermarket if i went shopping with my mom in the early '70s. (Probably First National, for you Northeastern old-timers.)

Finast.png

MCD1.jpg

MCD2.jpg

MCD3.jpg

Were these exclusively reprinted stories or were there new ones in them too? 

On 5/5/2023 at 11:19 AM, Professor Echo said:

Were these exclusively reprinted stories or were there new ones in them too? 

Mostly reprints but with some new material and first appearances by Z-listers like Dr. Spektor, Tragg, Count Wulfstein et. al.

On 5/5/2023 at 6:00 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

Mostly reprints but with some new material and first appearances by Z-listers like Dr. Spektor, Tragg, Count Wulfstein et. al.

Do you think they are worth seeking out and picking up for reading? I don't know what current prices are, but I'm guessing it's cheaper to sample at least some of these stories in the digests instead of trying to cherry pick the individual comic series. Advice anyone? 

Edited by Professor Echo

On 5/9/2023 at 1:07 PM, Professor Echo said:

Do you think they are worth seeking out and picking up for reading? I don't know what current prices are, but I'm guessing it's cheaper to sample at least some of these stories in the digests instead of trying to cherry pick the individual comic series. Advice anyone? 

Those titles aren't in high demand and mid-grade copies are plentiful and cheap. I'd probably just pick some of the original issues up. My primary interest in the digests was nostalgia.