• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rest In Peace, John Verzyl
6 6

169 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes I attended the HA celebration afterward.  Met many boardies. Bob Overstreet was here. All the hitters were here. Whitlock from New Force, Vincent Zurzola, Borock, Haspel, Cat Conrad, Jim Halperin,  Richard from Bedrock Comics, and on and on. There was a lot of humor but a pervasive sense of loss, too

“Whitelock “ but won’t hold it against you :)

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Sounds like you gents sent him out in style. I think he would have been happy with the esteemed turnout. :angel:

Absotively-posilutely! Everyone attending shared loving stories and anecdotes..  The after service get-together ...provided through the generosity of Heritage Auctions... was well attended with excellent catering.

John's friendships were far reaching.  

I didn’t know John well but had talked with him briefly over the yrs at cons.  He was always friendly and helpful.    He treated customers with respect.

Before Centaurs became hot and well-known, I used to spend cons going from booth to booth asking if dealers had any Centaurs – 90% I had to tell them what a “Centaur” was and list the titles.  I’m thinking it was SDCC 2005, and I was doing my Centaur sweep, when I hit John’s table – not sure if I had seen the book on wall earlier or on someone’s reserve stack or John said someone hand pulled the book.  Anyway, I was interested, but understood it was taken.

John said he’d talk to the collector who was considering it and see if he’d let me have it.  He took my number, but I figured I’d never hear from him - he was just being polite.  Next day he called and said book was available, if I wanted it.  Don’t know if John talked buyer out of it or he changed his mind, but I made a beeline to his booth and bought it!  Price was little over OSPG, but very fair (OSPG price was lagging)!  Couldn’t believe it – both that I was able to get the book and a dealer had taken so much effort with a collector he didn’t know.

To me, that shows the quality of his character as a dealer and a person.  Glad to hear HA and community gave him a nice farewell – I’m sure he’d very much appreciate it.

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Bumping this thread. For those of us who attended the funeral, you will get this joke . . .

ADF2E4AC-2D72-4451-8346-DD1BCC7AA9D7.jpeg

Thanks for reminding me of this thread. Very humbling to re read it.

Certainly a lot people who may not have known JV or some who may not have heard of him, would benefit from reading this thread.

If there were more JVs around in the hobby today, the hobby would be where it deserves to be.