• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2022 at 7:25 PM, Beige said:

If you stopped telling people what their own opinions are, you'd probably get people to engage you.

Stop trying to define the Black Panther as some kind of racial equality breakthrough please. A role model for black people?

What world do you live in, that a made up character, rich beyond imagination, in a fantasy city, where everything is good and safe and clean, is a role model for African Americans?

If you really, really have to go down this idiotic route of making a completely made up character into a role model - and defining the people who see him as a role model by their skin colour - then what about something more realistic than a rich-beyond-measure, international jet-setting Prince?

How about Jefferson Pierce?

High-school headmaster in a deprived inner-city area with high crime rates, trying to get his pupils the skills to get an education, get work, get a long life - and help others.

I guess that's not sexy enough compared to a country ruling, mega-rich, Prince?

If you have to virtue-signal, whilst being patronising beyond belief - at least get a relatable role model when you decide to speak on behalf of a whole segment of society(thumbsu

Jefferson Pierce - for those that don't know, is Black Lightning - and I'd hazard a guess - that if indeed a  fantasy 'super-hero' could indeed be a 'role model' - that he would be a far better nominee.

The TV show at least did try to approach some real-life issues whilst set in a mainly AA suburb.

The thought that any comic-book movie will get kids to put down guns or drugs and go back to school is pitifully naive at best, and extremely offensive to those people who try on a daily basis to make life a bit better for those around them in suburbs facing terrible crime, profound poverty, hunger and lack of education.

But you virtue-signal away champ - those middle aged friends of your dressing up on facebook will make all the difference.

First, I'm not really trying to tell you what your opinion is. You posted about the Black Panther's insignifigance and "non-presence" in the MCU as if that was an absolute, as if that's the final conclusion for the character. I'm merely saying it's not and that millions of fans of the first film can attest to that.

Second, I don't give a s**t if anybody here engages me. I'm just here to strive for balance, as all things should be.

What world do I live in? The same world where a fictional jet-setting white guy who is rich beyond imagination turns into an armor wearing superhero called Iron Man and becomes the hero and role model for millions of fans around the world. Black Lightning?!? lol Clearly you are living in a DC colored world that ignores what the rest of the world thinks.

On 11/2/2022 at 7:25 PM, Beige said:

If you have to virtue-signal, whilst being patronising beyond belief - at least get a relatable role model when you decide to speak on behalf of a whole segment of society(thumbsu

Btw, how am I virtue-signaling? I thought I was just stating reality. I mean, what world do YOU live in that you haven't realized the MCU Black Panther's pop-cultural importance to the African-American community at large? Oh, the same world that you think Black Lightning would somehow be more appealing to kids than the Black Panther.

Also, 70's stereotype wants its definition of the African-American experience back.

On 11/2/2022 at 6:39 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Btw, how am I virtue-signaling? I thought I was just stating reality. I mean, what world do YOU live in that you haven't realized the MCU Black Panther's pop-cultural importance to the African-American community at large? Oh, the same world that you think Black Lightning would somehow be more appealing to kids than the Black Panther.

Also, 70's stereotype wants its definition of the African-American experience back.

It sure would be great if Black Panther was actually in this movie, wouldn't it.  

-J.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:39 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Popular cultural importance and role model are two completely separate things. Yes, fictional characters can be role models to children, but once someone passes the age of about 12, I doubt most people would list a fictional character as a role model.  Important culturally, possibly,  but not a lifelong role model. Most adults, realize these characters are fictional and as such not something that can be emulated especially when they lead such overly fantastic lives. I think you consistently over estimate the importance of fictional depictions and characters to the real world. In addition, your repeated insinuation, that nothing has been done or represented until Disney Marvel has done it, as shown by your downplaying Blade, or previously movies like Wonder Woman in favor of Captain Marvel, gets tiresome.  

There is clearly a place for diverse representation in entertainment, but real life people are far more important.  Seeing minorities  in politics, running businesses, becoming famous scientists, maybe actors and athletes. These are real role models, and the ones that are essential for the advancement of minorities in the real world, not fictional characters. Popularity in entertainment is fleeting, thus always diminishing its long term impact. Real people doing meaningful things can be transformative.

I intend to see Wakanda Forever.  I do however find some of the marketing and how apparently Boseman's death is handled in this films as borderline exploiting the tragedy or his death. I think this could end up being a marketing mistake.

Edited by drotto

On 11/2/2022 at 11:09 PM, Prince Namor said:

It was the first Marvel Superhero Movie where the main superhero was an African American. For many African Americans that was a big deal. 

I know as Caucasians that might not register because most all superhero movies are white males, but…

Again, Blade was the first Marvel African American super hero in film.  We also had Storm portrayed prominently (admittingly not the main) in the X-Men films. They were not Disney, but they do count.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:33 PM, drotto said:

Again, Blade was the first Marvel African American super hero in film.  We also had Storm portrayed prominently (admittingly not the main) in the X-Men films. They were not Disney, but they do count.

Ok. You go with that. I’ll stick with mine. 

On 11/2/2022 at 9:21 PM, drotto said:

Point taken, but the stipulation was Marvel. :P

True well if we are doing "just Marvel" then it is Blade.   Which is only a few months after Steel.

But credit due to DC for doing it first and Robert Townsend for getting meteor man made at all.  

-J.

On 11/3/2022 at 12:48 AM, Cat said:

Black Panther isn't African American though, just African. 

Black Panther is potentate of a fictional hermit kingdom hiding itself away on the African continent. 

As I reflect on BP1, I recall reacting to it as a fairly standard MCU origin story with some outstanding performances.

The scene I recall liking the most was the end when T'Challa set-up the US community center. It seemed to me then that entire narrative was always moving to that point.

Like most of the MCU films, I haven't returned for additional viewings. I usually see them in the theater & forget about them.

Just to keep posting. I recall watching bits & pieces of BP1 at The Old Fashioned's bar in Madison, Wisconsin about a year ago. My gf kept asking me to stop & to talk to our friends, instead. It looked really good.

On 11/3/2022 at 6:45 AM, TupennyConan said:

As I reflect on BP1, I recall reacting to it as a fairly standard MCU origin story with some outstanding performances.

Yeah, it's average AF, but Boseman's T'Challa was particularly great because I think he went the entire movie without a quip. It was refreshing to see a Marvel hero take their role in the MCU seriously.