• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sick To My Stomach

81 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Actually how do you know that? Not everyone uses the chat boards, and not everyone looks at this specific section. It's also possible your magazines were holdered in a fault batch of hard plastics where the posts didn't seal sonically. As for the cracked plastics, there is no way QC would allow that out. Tiny crack, maybe they could miss, but cracks several inches long, no way. Not that I'm accusing, but causing cracks yourself would only support your case against CGC, so maybe you did it yourself out of frustration. Maybe you saw the open posts and magazine damaged and threw the cases against the floor out of anger and they broke. Cases don't magically crack that much without them being damaged in shipping. I'm on your side with most of this short of accusing the company of finding damaged cases just to put your magazines in to get back at you.

Unfortunately for the OP, there is exactly as much evidence suggesting he intentionally cracked cases as there is that CGC did.

2 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Unfortunately for the OP, there is exactly as much evidence suggesting he intentionally cracked cases as there is that CGC did.

Agreed. 

The pictures where he had his thumb jammed in the side of the case, while simultaneously pushing down on the inner slab, certainly doesn't help his case. 

I'm afraid his posts will end up doing him more harm than good in the long run. 

I

15 minutes ago, newshane said:

Agreed. 

The pictures where he had his thumb jammed in the side of the case, while simultaneously pushing down on the inner slab, certainly doesn't help his case. 

I'm afraid his posts will end up doing him more harm than good in the long run. 

I

True...so how does one prove if this was cgc's fault or a sabotage by a disgruntled customer?

14 minutes ago, EC Phanatic said:

True...so how does one prove if this was cgc's fault or a sabotage by a disgruntled customer?

Drop some F-bombs yo! lol 

First, let me say if that happened to so many of my comics, I would definitely be throwing around some f-bombs.  So I don't blame the OP at all.

Second, I'm sorry this happened to you. 

Third, I agree with what someone else said about the fragility of mag slabs.  I've never submitted so many big mags.  I do own some playboys that I bought from others and they are okay.  I'm just saying that I bet the damage level is higher with mags than comics.

Finally, does the CGC insurance cover the damage to the mags?  Sorry if you already answered this above.

Hope things work out for you.  I have always found CGC to be easy to work with.  Probably they are having a heart attack right now trying to figure out what to do with your case.

Unfortunately, a profanity filled tirade immediately de-credits you. I'm going to give you the benifit of the doubt though. Call CGC and talk with someone in a calm manner and try to get this resolved amicably. Accidents happen.

3 hours ago, PBruce said:

Those are about the most fantastic condition you could ever dream of for shipping boxes. These two boxes were inspected by USPS at the time of delivery as I notified them that the contents I received the previous day were damaged. There is not evidence of any caving in and anyone who does mail order will agree that these boxes are in outstanding condition. USPS did a fantastic job handling the packages. Blame solely goes to CGC.

I dunno, the bottom of those boxes are definitely caved in a bit as though they were dropped unceremoniously.  How tightly were the contents packed?  I have to wonder if the fact that they were dropped compounded with very tightly packed boxes caused the vibration from the drop to rattle through the contents of the box and thus cracked the cases.  (ie the force wasn't distributed amongst the cardboard packaging but was instead distributed amongst the plastic cases.)  I once received a package in the mail that was immaculate, yet the corner of the plastic case was heavily damaged.  These things happen.  The best one can do is respond politely.  I've never found rage and f-bombs to get me nearly as far as kindness and a good attitude.  As others have stated, there is no way cases that damaged would make it past QC.

37 minutes ago, icefires said:

Do you happen to have photos of the interior of the boxes immediately after opening the top flaps?  I am interested to see how these slabs were packaged internally.

Yes. I snapped numerous photos and forwarded to CGC. There is no problem with the boxes and no indication from CGC that there is a problem with the boxes or packing material. There is a problem with the product not being able to handle the weight of the contents. The inner linings shattered and that should not happen during routine USPS shipping. It extends beyond that though. Many were not compressed in their holders. And, many of the dowels were not sealed as pictured above. A combination of poor quality materials and poor craftsmanship are where this is going. CGC Director and I are working to resolve but the physical damage to the magazines can't be undone.

25 minutes ago, PBruce said:

Yes. I snapped numerous photos and forwarded to CGC. There is no problem with the boxes and no indication from CGC that there is a problem with the boxes or packing material. There is a problem with the product not being able to handle the weight of the contents. The inner linings shattered and that should not happen during routine USPS shipping. It extends beyond that though. Many were not compressed in their holders. And, many of the dowels were not sealed as pictured above. A combination of poor quality materials and poor craftsmanship are where this is going. CGC Director and I are working to resolve but the physical damage to the magazines can't be undone.

I'm guessing that shipping 24 thick Playboy slabs in one box is too much weight for CGC's current packaging procedures.  Fragile contents of a sturdy box can certainly be damaged during shipping without much damage to the box itself.

Does CGC photograph or scan front and back of each slab prior to shipping?

34 minutes ago, PBruce said:

...but the physical damage to the magazines can't be undone.

Some of the damage can be fixed by pressing. If I were you, I'd ask if they could include those services as part of your compensation package. 

5 minutes ago, icefires said:

Does CGC photograph or scan front and back of each slab prior to shipping?

That would be a big negatory good buddy! They charge you for "imaging" service. 

If they took the time to scan and store images of every single slab, then the turn-around times would be 4 or 5 years. lol 

15 minutes ago, newshane said:

That would be a big negatory good buddy! They charge you for "imaging" service. 

If they took the time to scan and store images of every single slab, then the turn-around times would be 4 or 5 years. lol 

Equipment exists that can mass scan quickly. I guess CGC cannot justify the cost in relation to the number of disputes.

Having said that, I have always felt imaging should be included in the cost of having a book slabbed.

5 minutes ago, newshane said:

Some of the damage can be fixed by pressing. If I were you, I'd ask if they could include those services as part of your compensation package. 

Many were literally torn at the bottom edge from the inner wells shattering. My Madonna edge completely flipped over as pictured and chiseled the left corner.

I was going to start a discussion on pressing prior to this mishap as I was preparing over 400 more issues to send in. Pressing is widely accepted in the comic biz and I understand why. That being said, I refuse to have anything pressed in my collection. It's a personal preference. In the sports card biz its called "spooning" and is highly frowned upon and nearly impossible to identify. The integrity of the cardboard is compromised and the crease reintroduced very easily. I don't see why it would be any different with a magazine or comic.

Let me present a scenario. I have a valuable 9.2 (pick a book) and it is the highest and one of only two. I know the owner of the other 9.2 that exists and he had his 9.2 pressed. My 9.2 has never been pressed. I can send it in for pressing and it may come back 9.4 or 9.6.

My point is, I am willing to pay a premium for a book that has never been pressed over a book of the same grade that has. Any sensible person would choose the unpressed issue of the same grade over the pressed issue (I think).

I would feel comfortable if CGC added the fact that a particular issue had been pressed in the books description. 

1 hour ago, PBruce said:

First off, I am sorry this happened to you. This is terrible. I think you may be correct with the assumption that the weight of these Playboy magazines was too much for the packaging. Some of the worst damage I have encountered with getting slabs shipped to me was not from damage to the box itself. It was from the slabs not being properly packed inside and had some free movement. Maybe the typical way CGC ships books in these large boxes doesn't work for the Playboys. DO you remember if the inside of the boxes had sufficient padding, peanuts or something ?

Don't ya wanna look at the insides of the girlie mags? I know they say the same about comics, and I agree. (I got 12 comic books slabbed out of a collection of maybe 1,200) But girlie mags? Really?

Edited by NoMan

5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Or how about the bottom of the boxes as shown in the pictures clearly shows they were dropped somewhere - that's why the bottoms are caved in?

DSC06651.JPG

So, a long time ago, I had a box of CGC slabs delivered.  I brought them inside the house, which had a cement floor just inside the house, for the washer and dryer.  When closing the door, I dropped the box, which landed flat on the floor.  The box looked fine.  When I opened it, the slabs appeared to be well packed.  They were cracked all the way across though.  

22 minutes ago, comicdonna said:
6 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Or how about the bottom of the boxes as shown in the pictures clearly shows they were dropped somewhere - that's why the bottoms are caved in?

DSC06651.JPG

So, a long time ago, I had a box of CGC slabs delivered.  I brought them inside the house, which had a cement floor just inside the house, for the washer and dryer.  When closing the door, I dropped the box, which landed flat on the floor.  The box looked fine.  When I opened it, the slabs appeared to be well packed.  They were cracked all the way across though.  

Yeah - it's obvious to me if not the OP, that this is shipping/handling damage, that most likely contributed to all the slab damage.

43 minutes ago, PBruce said:

Many were literally torn at the bottom edge from the inner wells shattering. My Madonna edge completely flipped over as pictured and chiseled the left corner.

I was going to start a discussion on pressing prior to this mishap as I was preparing over 400 more issues to send in. Pressing is widely accepted in the comic biz and I understand why. That being said, I refuse to have anything pressed in my collection. It's a personal preference. In the sports card biz its called "spooning" and is highly frowned upon and nearly impossible to identify. The integrity of the cardboard is compromised and the crease reintroduced very easily. I don't see why it would be any different with a magazine or comic.

Let me present a scenario. I have a valuable 9.2 (pick a book) and it is the highest and one of only two. I know the owner of the other 9.2 that exists and he had his 9.2 pressed. My 9.2 has never been pressed. I can send it in for pressing and it may come back 9.4 or 9.6.

My point is, I am willing to pay a premium for a book that has never been pressed over a book of the same grade that has. Any sensible person would choose the unpressed issue of the same grade over the pressed issue (I think).

I would feel comfortable if CGC added the fact that a particular issue had been pressed in the books description. 

re: pressing.

1.  if they noted it, it would definitely have the feel of restoration, which they would certainly want to avoid as they have a pressing service AND they have not been noting the pressing up to this point.

2.  Especially when its done right, CGC can't consistently tell whether or not a book has been pressed just by looking at the book, especially not in the relatively small time it takes to grade a book.  To apply any notation of pressing would be wildly inconsistent to the point of ridiculousness, and unnecessary because it is not considered restoration.

3.  One could make the argument that they should mark it when they (CCS) does the pressing, because they KNOW it to be pressed.  But I think most of us and CGC would rather believe that books are graded (and notes are made) independently of their history with CCS.

4.  CGC doesn't care about which book you would want to pay more for.  They grade the comic and page quality at the time they review the book.  That's it (and occasionally use crappy materials to pack and ship magazine collections).