• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metropolis is Suing Voldemort
5 5

761 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

and there are still only two "real" choices (my opinion). So I am hopeful that both clean up their acts and get the ships righted. But currently, the other company is more consistent with grading, and CGC seems to have better turn around times. And the message board, and ESPECIALLY the registry are what separate the two and will keep the two separated for the foreseeable future.

Lots of land in Montana, great beaches, the very BEST beaches.  

I agree and can definitely get behind that.

...and I do love the beaches. :insane:

5 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Simple answer, the registry. People are competitive in nature, therefore allowing them to compete with each others collections drives them to grade more books. I could probably sit and start getting into other issues like when were the books graded (one company has a decade jump start). You could argue that the majority of flippers use CGC due to familiarity within the market. Also, out of the "sold" listing how many will say CGC but are a PGX or brand X? Because we both KNOW people love to use the "like CGC" or "not CGC".

Some valid points.  Flippers just flip books that are in demand so if they are flipping one slab over the other then that is telling.  I'm sure registry is part of it but smart of CGC to think up that idea but I'm not sure the registry demand should be disregarded outright. 

Interesting concept that CGC was around when raw Silver-Age high grade or keys was more plentiful so they may have "cornered" the market with grading those types of books and the other guy is getting mostly modern or SS books.  Not sure how to check it.

I'd agree the guys who say "CGC it" definitely sway the numbers in CGC favor since no one says "Vold it" but I'd the fact that people don't use the other guy to promote raw of PGX books is telling in terms of market preference.

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

Some valid points.  Flippers just flip books that are in demand so if they are flipping one slab over the other then that is telling.  I'm sure registry is part of it but smart of CGC to think up that idea but I'm not sure the registry demand should be disregarded outright. 

Interesting concept that CGC was around when raw Silver-Age high grade or keys was more plentiful so they may have "cornered" the market with grading those types of books and the other guy is getting mostly modern or SS books.  Not sure how to check it.

I'd agree the guys who say "CGC it" definitely sway the numbers in CGC favor since no one says "Vold it" but I'd the fact that people don't use the other guy to promote raw of PGX books is telling in terms of market preference.

I don't think it is a matter of market preference but a way to gain more exposure. I don't hate on the guys for marketing to a broader audience, that's just business. And the books were more plentiful, but let me ask you one question.

Why do people chase the old blue label CGC books, and some of the guys who are really into it know which serial numbers to go after? The answer to that is one of the reasons CGC isn't the "be all, end all" that people like to pretend they are.

1 minute ago, The Resurrection said:

I don't think it is a matter of market preference but a way to gain more exposure. I don't hate on the guys for marketing to a broader audience, that's just business. And the books were more plentiful, but let me ask you one question.

Why do people chase the old blue label CGC books, and some of the guys who are really into it know which serial numbers to go after? The answer to that is one of the reasons CGC isn't the "be all, end all" that people like to pretend they are.

I wonder if people are still doing this?  From what I've seen CGC is currently as tight as the old blue label days.  I do get your point that CGC shouldn't have tight or loose grading eras but just one long stream of consistency.  But graders are human too and grading is not an exact science where you can put the book in a machine and out pops a grade. 

I don't have any issues with the other guys grading but I do hate their label and most people I talk to agree.

13 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I wonder if people are still doing this?  From what I've seen CGC is currently as tight as the old blue label days.  I do get your point that CGC shouldn't have tight or loose grading eras but just one long stream of consistency.  But graders are human too and grading is not an exact science where you can put the book in a machine and out pops a grade. 

I don't have any issues with the other guys grading but I do hate their label and most people I talk to agree.

CGC has been tight for 2 years now. And yea, the tight/loose era is obnoxious, but created their own secondary market.

the label doesn't bother me. But I pretty much never take my books out of their cardboard tomb, once put away.

Whats really surprising to me is how voldy's performance is closer to PGX than CGC. I know that PGX has been around longer, but its reputation is much much worse compared to Vold's. I always preferred CGC to the competition, but kinda looked at voldy as a good alternative. But judging from the prices they fetch they are literally neck and neck with PGX which is very surprising to me. Are they really THAT bad?

5 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Whats really surprising to me is how voldy's performance is closer to PGX than CGC. I know that PGX has been around longer, but its reputation is much much worse compared to Vold's. I always preferred CGC to the competition, but kinda looked at voldy as a good alternative. But judging from the prices they fetch they are literally neck and neck with PGX which is very surprising to me. Are they really THAT bad?

Short answer, no.  I think they are much more consistent than the X company, and there are no issues with ‘insider’ grades.  About the only thing I don’t like about Voldy is they are grading the Frankenbooks which I think is highly damaging to comics in general, and restored comics in particular.

6 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I've been stocking up at great prices. I don't think the market is very balanced right now and I think these books are selling at too large a discount. Just one mans opinion.

16 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

My experience is this...

At auction the books do not perform as well as CGC, at BIN I have sold them within 10% (we are talking mostly copper, modern, hot books, variants). On keys, I have not had to discount, although they may not sell as fast. I have found the grading with CBCS to be very consistent ( I have had about 120/130 books graded by them.), but have not submitted in about a year (I took a hiatus). So all in all, I view them to be on par with CGC.

Now.... Not having a registry really hurts them, not having a good message board hurts them as well. CGC has made some stellar decisions there and THAT to me is what separates them, the competitive nature of collectors, the ease of keeping track of your collection, the ease of buying and selling on a message board (that is active). Are clear cut reasons why CGC continues to perform better.

On 5/7/2018 at 7:49 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

I may or may not have heard the same :whistle: which makes this part "Enter a preliminary injunction preventing Defendants’ from further disposing of CBCS’s assets, including those comprising of the Asset Sale and enjoining Defendants from relocating CBCS’s comic book grading and certification business outside the state of Florida." even more interesting.

"....breached the Agreement by failing to perform various obligations under the Agreement and by wrongfully terminating the Agreement." Doesn't sound to me like ownership would be the case here. Sounds like Metro were owed services under this "Preferred Vendor Agreement" and Voldy has terminated that agreement and somehow left Metro holding the bag.

This was my reading as well.

Also, this confirms that Voldy indeed completely failed.  It went bankrupt and was purchased through a receivership by Beckett. Metro is trying to stop them from becoming completely insolvent before they get what they're owed, as it appears Beckett is attempting to not honor the terms of an agreement that the previous, now dead company made with them.  

Unfortunately for Beckett, the law will not be on their side on this.  

I'm just glad I never went bargain hunting on any cut-rate Voldy slabs.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

9 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Unfortunately for Beckett, the law will not be on their side on this.

That depends on what the contract between Metro and Voldy says.

11 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

This was my reading as well.

Also, this confirms that Voldy indeed completely failed.  It went bankrupt and was purchased through a receivership by Beckett.

-J.

No it doesn't.

18 minutes ago, namisgr said:

No it doesn't.

It certainly does.  Yes, I know it's not anything you want to believe or accept. But it is what it is.   Voldy was a complete and total bust.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

41 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Beckett is bound to honour any pre-existing contracts from the now bankrupt and liquidated Voldy.  

At least that's my understanding of Chapter 7/11 law.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

13 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Don't bother, this dudes a hardcore kool aid drinker.

And what kool-aid are you drinking?

The article specifically refers to an "asset sale".  Beckett did not simply buy out Voldy, Voldy was acquired through an asset sale.

"Asset sales" are what happen when companies and individuals go bankrupt.  

You seem to have a thing for kool-aid.

How do you like this kool-aid?

https://www.inforuptcy.com/articles/363-bankruptcy-asset-sales-overview

-J.

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
24 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Beckett is bound to honour any pre-existing contracts from the now bankrupt and liquidated Voldy.  

At least that's my understanding of Chapter 11 law.  

Not if the original contract allowed for either party to terminate the agreement in the event of insolvency or acquisition and there was no language obligating that outstanding balances be paid. Metro could still file a claim but the payout would depend on how Beckett is positioning themselves as an acquirer of Voldy.

This, of course, is based on the premise that Voldy and Metro actually put a formal contract in place and it wasn't a handshake deal between two non-legal reps.