• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Geppi closing Museum:Donating Collection to Library of Congress
2 2

44 posts in this topic

Yes, there seemed to be a flaw in his business model for the GEM when I visited about 8 years ago. In the afternoon, there were the 3 of us collector/fans, 1 cashier and 1 security guard for the entire museum near the harbor of Baltimore, MD. Lots of room to take pics of paper collectibles and tv props though. :idea:

Great place. Benn there a lot. The flaw is the parking situation in that location. It is a PITAPITA.

It is expected to be very busy starting tomorrow, though, with the Closing and other activities nearby.

I kind of thought it was a bad sign when I walked by the place when the Baltimore Comic Con was happening and there still was not many people walking around the place.  you would think that would be prime time for comic collectors to check out some history but the place looked pretty empty.

Dear Steve Geppi: I love comics and have since I was 9 years old and saw my first comic.  I'm not a high end collector my most valuable comic is about $80-pls let me have just one of those magnificent books you are donating thx.

26 minutes ago, kav said:

Dear Steve Geppi: I love comics and have since I was 9 years old and saw my first comic.  I'm not a high end collector my most valuable comic is about $80-pls let me have just one of those magnificent books you are donating thx.

That'll do it.......lol

Glad I finally got there last year after wanting to for years. Even my Wife who is not into comics enjoyed the place. We spent 2 hours there. Was really cool. So sorry to see it go but kool of the donation.

2 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

A little somber to hear the doors are closing, but it is awesome that he decided to donate 3,000 items to the Library of Congress. Nice to know that lot has found a permanent home like that.  Fulfilling a dream - pretty neat stuff?

And getting a nice little tax write off in the process...:devil:

11 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I kind of thought it was a bad sign when I walked by the place when the Baltimore Comic Con was happening and there still was not many people walking around the place.  you would think that would be prime time for comic collectors to check out some history but the place looked pretty empty.

Why do you think it wasn't more visited by collectors/fans?

I remember GEM opening, then several years later a lot of the rarest high-end material being sold from the museum because of the 2007-2008 financial crisis; this includes the historic Action court copies and many of the highest grade slabbed CGC books.  I also remember the blowout sales Diamond Distributors had on eBay.  I picked a half a dozen mint Harry Metetsky Superman books, and a dozen or so Sprang signed lithographs for peanuts back then.

I know his son was an Overstreet advisor and I wonder why Geppi didn't keep what's left of the collection in the family?  As much as I pay in taxes there absolutely no way I would donate anything to an entity backed or subsidized by the Federal government when they have already taken so much away.

6 hours ago, jcjames said:

Why do you think it wasn't more visited by collectors/fans?

Great question.  I think museum numbers have to down across the board just because of the internet.  If I want to look at ancient artifacts I can look at them for free from my home.  I also think it hurts that most big comic cons have a plethora of old comic books and OA that fills the need to see old comics and the history of comic books.  Comic books still are seen as children books so I can see why some people just don't thinks its necessary to go learn the history of comics.

Drat, this place opened after I left Baltimore, and I haven't been back. But since I found out about it, I wanted to go and visit...oh well. I guess, at this point, that's just not going to happen.

What is the Library of Congress going to do with, and why would it want, a giganormous collection of flicker rings?

I'm betting that there's a lot more to this story...

Edited by jools&jim

49 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

As much as I pay in taxes there absolutely no way I would donate anything to an entity backed or subsidized by the Federal government when they have already taken so much away.

I certainly support your Right to your opinion, and hope that after contemplation concerning the most important (and largest) Library in the world, including world literature, and the open access to everybody via internet on any subject by anybody, for any purpose...research/teaching/enjoyment/preserving the cultural history of the world/etc., that you would re-consider. We pay a ridiculously almost atom sized amount of wampum for the privilege.

Consider: Would you view the National Library of Medicine as also not being worth donating to?

Note that, (and you might not actually realize it) you benefit in some manner almost every day due to these great institutions.

I blame Orioles fans for seeing the museum every time they go to a game and probably not once going in!

>:(

But in reality, I think the location was never a good fit and the marketing of GEM. I have never taken a trip myself but now I really want to before it closes. It's sad but at least it will have some notice being at the Library of Congress. This way someone doesn't really have to keep up with the pricing of having the items on display but unfortunately now the government has control of it.