• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

RT scores are starting to roll in.  It's at 84% on 56 reviews.  The early ones are always the highest, so it'll probably end up somewhere in the mid-to-high 70% range, which would mark it as an average MCU film most of which are very entertaining but not necessarily memorable or worth multiple viewings.

DEFINITELY going to end up being considered by critics to be not as good as the first one.  :sorry: Ah well, still sounds pretty good and I'm looking forward to it.  I always hope for greatness but don't necessarily expect it.

Edited by fantastic_four

Even though it is a Doc movie, it shouldn't be compared to the first one any more than to Captain Marvel etc. Different director, different purpose in the MCU scheme, et cetera et cetera.

Lots of variant character deaths coming methinks. I bet they kill EVERY variant we see in the movie. That way they don't have to worry about those characters, just kill them all including Captain Carter. They can pull them in again from the multiverse anytime they want anyway, so kill kill kill is what I smell cooking.

On 5/3/2022 at 11:21 AM, Bird said:

Even though it is a Doc movie, it shouldn't be compared to the first one any more than to Captain Marvel etc. Different director, different purpose in the MCU scheme, et cetera et cetera.

Lots of variant character deaths coming methinks. I bet they kill EVERY variant we see in the movie. That way they don't have to worry about those characters, just kill them all including Captain Carter. They can pull them in again from the multiverse anytime they want anyway, so kill kill kill is what I smell cooking.

While they may kill the variants, I doubt it will be extremely violent. This is a DIS film, after all, and I can't see them allowing that.

So, if the critics hate this film, does it matter any more? It sounds like the issue for some is that they were only allowed to go half Raimi by the studio, not full Raimi, and for others the issue is that it did not follow the standard simple and glib Marvel formula. lol 

That being said, this one may end up like IM 3, which had the highest box office gross out of the three movies by a longshot.

Edited by kimik

On 5/3/2022 at 12:27 PM, kimik said:

So, if the critics hate this film, does it matter any more?

I don't think they hate it.  That's not the impression I'm getting.  Not every movie will get a 90/100.  If it is around a 70 or an 80 (out of 100) from the "critics"...the general audience will still come to see it in droves.

***But I agree with the IM3 possible parallels...and Venom 

On 5/4/2022 at 6:02 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:
On 5/4/2022 at 3:27 AM, kimik said:

So, if the critics hate this film, does it matter any more?

I don't think they hate it.  That's not the impression I'm getting.  Not every movie will get a 90/100.  If it is around a 70 or an 80 (out of 100) from the "critics"...the general audience will still come to see it in droves.

***But I agree with the IM3 possible parallels...and Venom 

Thats it, if a movie has broken out of the 6's it's a decent, worth seeing movie.  A 7. something, it's a solid offering.  and your right, if the critic's put it there, it's dead-cert 8.0+ for us Joe public.

The fact that it is Sam Raimi, and seems to have some resemblance to the evil dead and zombie universe tells me I'll probably like it even more than Spider-Man's latest.

This regardless of the critic reviews - hope I am right on this one. I don't want a kid movie, I want the dark and frightening version.

Some of the best parts of Spider-Man for me were the Dr. Strange scenes (the crypt, weird beasts in the fridge, mirror universe, etc).

Edited by bronze_rules

On 5/3/2022 at 5:25 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Reviews are all over the place on this one.  I have hope though because I read more than a few that say "not for children".  That doesn't sound like the MCU cookie cutter theme.

And that would be great if this is the case. As that is the main complaint with some MCU films - too cookie cutter.

But odd then the Scott Derrickson fallout happened because that is what he wanted to begin with. A Doctor Strange horror story that honored the 70s material.