• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2022 at 4:56 PM, Straw-Man said:

which makes the point more glaring—a LESS GOOD b-tier character’s film opened that much larger than dc’s bell-cow’s better film. 

please, no marvel zombie bias ripostes here—i prefer the batman to doc 2.  

Have not seen Doc 2 yet (going later this week), but agree 100%. WB/DC really needs to rethink its approach to Batman and Superman. The current approach is losing market share.

Edited by kimik

On 5/8/2022 at 5:30 PM, Gatsby77 said:

No stake in this either way, but today's Mother's Day - not traditionally a big movie-going day.

And watch him talk about a huge rebound WoW next Sunday. lol 

On 5/8/2022 at 1:53 PM, Bird said:

:shiftyeyes: who are these people? and you can read the minds and body language of a theatre? impressive :devil:

Yeah as it turns out, I didn't get any of their names.

When people are slumped in their seats resting their heads on their hands in boredom, it doesn't take a mind reader or a genius to figure out how they're feeling about the movie.  And the audible giggles and laughs at certain moments (such as the absolutely awful scenes with the children, who couldn't act to save their lives, or the "music battle") were a clear indication as well.

On 5/8/2022 at 6:56 PM, Straw-Man said:

which makes the point more glaring—a LESS GOOD b-tier character’s film opened that much larger than dc’s bell-cow’s better film. 

please, no marvel zombie bias ripostes here—i prefer the batman to doc 2.  

I'm a gigantic Marvel guy and I agree completely, The Batman was a better movie by far than Doctor Strange 2.  If nothing else, it was consistent in tone and stood on its own as a well-told story that casual fans could enjoy.

On 5/8/2022 at 7:53 PM, Bosco685 said:

Who is 'he'?

From context, Gitesh Pandya.

Just seems silly to be discussing a "seemingly large Sunday drop" without looking at a calendar and realizing it's Mother's Day in the U.S.  - although several have pointed that out in the comments to his tweet.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 5/8/2022 at 8:01 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Just seems silly to be discussing a "seemingly large Sunday drop" without looking at a calendar and realizing it's Mother's Day in the U.S.  - although several have pointed that out in the comments to his tweet.

Ohhhhhhh. Him.

If anything, he is a hardcore MCU fan. Really boosts the messaging when an MCU film is released. So I wouldn't misread him as attempting to detract from Doctor Strange at all.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:01 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Cap: CW opened on Mother's Day Weekend 2016, fell on May 8th; did $75.5M ($25M preview), $61.2M (-19% vs Fri+preview), $42.4M (-31% vs Sat)

DS:MOM opened on Mother's Day Weekend 2022; fell on May 8th; est. $90M ($36M preview), $57.5M (-36% vs Fri+preview), $37.5 (-35% vs Sat)

Edited by paperheart

On 5/8/2022 at 6:01 PM, Gatsby77 said:

(thumbsu

I guess I should have used a quote. I did indeed mean Pandya, who will be talking about how strong it held next Sunday WoW.

On 5/8/2022 at 8:37 PM, kimik said:

(thumbsu

I guess I should have used a quote. I did indeed mean Pandya, who will be talking about how strong it held next Sunday WoW.

Trust me. I may not agree 100% with everything he may post (not that this is a requirement for an analyst to be trustworthy). But he is a very solid movie industry analyst on trends and results.

But even like the Deadline editorial director Anthony D'Alessandro who is biased toward Star Wars and MCU films, Gitesh leans in on MCU strong positive reporting. We all gravitate to what we appreciate more. It happens.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

After seeing it a 2nd time, and sleeping on it, this movie is closer to a 7/10.

I was bored AF until about halfway through.

What numerical grade is a semi-turd?

On 5/9/2022 at 7:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

6.9 Courics.

This makes it seem like a "semi-turd" is actually worse than a Couric.  I would contend that your scale should reflect that one Couric is a full turd.  Maybe more than one.

Edited by MattTheDuck