• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2022 at 4:51 PM, Larryw7 said:

I don't blame him, bobble head Clooney is the stuff of nightmares.

It was shortly after that, when I gave him the Universal Monsters collection, he took the lead in his dance with fear. Nothing like Frankenstein, Drac, Mummy, Wolfman, and the Creature to help a young man gain control of the helm. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 5/5/2022 at 10:36 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Saw it, liked it. Could have been better I thought. 

Same for me - I like comic relief, but Raimi can't help himself to go super goofy in some instances, like most of his movies.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:44 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Same for me - I like comic relief, but Raimi can't help himself to go super goofy in some instances, like most of his movies.

Yeah, it's not really comic relief, it truly is just straight up goofiness. People HAVE to be ready and know what a Raimi movie is before going into this film or else I guarantee it won't be enjoyed as much as it could.

Word of warning to anyone reading this thread and interested in seeing this film, it is from the same director who did this (in what is considered a masterpiece film)

If that scene above is not something you are into, then this might not be film for you.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:11 PM, William-James88 said:

Yeah, it's not really comic relief, it truly is just straight up goofiness. People HAVE to be ready and know what a Raimi movie is before going into this film or else I guarantee it won't be enjoyed as much as it could.

I know this sounds unbelievable, but I actually didn't know Raimi was the director as I was going into this movie - I've tried as much as possible to stay away from anything related to the movie - knowing he directed it wouldn't have spoiled anything for me, but I just didn't realize it since I didn't watch or read anything else about it. Then I saw

Spoiler

Bruce Campbell

And I thought, "ah, Raimi directed this?"

Edited by Jesse-Lee

Tentatively a 7.5/10. Average at best. It can be fun, as there is a lot of great stuff, but there's also a lot of dumb stuff. Doesn't really address any of the concerns that I had going into it. Waiting to see it again on Saturday before I lock in my rating.

On 5/6/2022 at 6:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Tentatively a 7.5/10. Average at best. It can be fun, as there is a lot of great stuff, but there's also a lot of dumb stuff. Doesn't really address any of the concerns that I had going into it. Waiting to see it again on Saturday before I lock in my rating.

Average at best but 7.5/10? Interesting.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I kinda use the school grade scale when it comes to describing my scores. Below 6.0 is bad.

It is just interesting when the MCU does average it scores high. When other studios do average, it leads to statements like, "I'm sorry I just can't with those dumb scenes that took me completely out of the story!"

At schools attempt to keep a standard. So they have that going for them.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

It is just interesting when the MCU does average it scores high. When other studios do average, it leads to statements like, "I'm sorry I just can't with those dumb scenes that took me completely out of the story!"

Haha, you know that's not me, though. There was so much cool s**t in this movie that it would be impossible for it to be "bad" to me. There was some bad, but man there was some damn cool stuff.

Raimi did a pretty good job with directing. I think that it was handcuffed by writing. I'm not sure what the re-shoots and late cuts changed, but it feels like an incomplete narrative.

I could re-watch all of the horror scenes all day. Those were so good.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Haha, you know that's not me, though. There was so much cool s**t in this movie that it would be impossible for it to be "bad" to me. There was some bad, but man there was some damn cool stuff.

Raimi did a pretty good job with directing. I think that it was handcuffed by writing. I'm not sure what the re-shoots and late cuts changed, but it feels like an incomplete narrative.

I could re-watch all of the horror scenes all day. Those were so good.

Now THAT is good to hear. :cheers:

On 5/6/2022 at 8:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not sure what the re-shoots and late cuts changed, but it feels like an incomplete narrative.

Reshoots in this film are easier to notice than in others. Just look at when Wong has longer hair. Which means bits of the ending with Wanda were reshot along with the first against the giant one eyed monster in the beginning.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

Speaking of school grades, I am VERY curious to see the cinemascore on this. As with Eternals, this is a very specific vision/style that, while it has a hardcore following, is not mainstream.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:23 AM, William-James88 said:

Speaking of school grades, I am VERY curious to see the cinemascore on this. As with Eternals, this is a very specific vision/style that, while it has a hardcore following, is not mainstream.

Agree or not, the MCU gets a clear pass from initial screenings due to early successes. To include the Disney + shows getting strong positive responses no matter how good they are.

So like a parent coaches a child about life's lessons, "You get what you get and you don't get upset!" If you give a studio easy street results, they don't learn from necessary feedback.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

"I'm sorry I just can't with those dumb scenes that took me completely out of the story!"

There were definitely a couple of these in the movie for me, but again, I'm chalking it up to Sam Raimi. I did feel like some of the performances were a bit stilted in this one, and I don't know what to attribute that to. Elizabeth Olsen was really, really good - maybe that's why I felt like others paled in comparison. But the MCU typically has fairly decent acting, and there were times in this movie where some of the performances grated on me.