• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton rings!
6 6

235 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I doubt CGC would be interested in my label suggestions as I liked the old label just fine.  Trust me, my scanner normally takes great images.   A couple of pages back I compared an old label/holder scan with a new label/holder scan (complete with Newton Rings), both imaged on my HP Scanjet 8300.

I have the same scanner.  The new slabs were scanning very dark on my previous settings -- probably because the slabs are deeper.  Someone in the CG scanner thread suggested new settings.  I've been using those (with some tweaks), but my scans are now a bit brighter than they should be.  I could probably continue fiddling with the settings, but I'm fairly content with how they look now.  

I submitted 13 books a few weeks ago, and received the first book back last week since it was an Express submission. There's a few small traces of Newton ring action on the front, but I'm relieved to say it looks dramatically better than the examples in this thread and is minimal enough that it doesn't bother me. So, waiting for the other 12 and am cautiously optimistic that maybe things are back on track.  :wishluck:

11 hours ago, walclark said:

Got to the office this morning and had a 10 book value submission from June waiting for me.  These were slabbed last week.  The Newton ring effect is present in most of the books (7 of 10), but is certainly reduced from previous submissions.  The effect is still most noticeable on lighter colored covers.

I believe Sharon mentioned an issue with scratches on the inside of the slab.  There are scratches on 8 of the 10 slabs in this submission.  Like the ring effect, the scratches can only be seen when viewing the slabs at an angle to catch the light.  I would add photos, but I don’t think any of these defects will photograph or scan well.

Overall, I would say that, at least with this batch, there seems to be some improvement in regards to the ring effect.

@Sqeggs Ameliorated!

Wow. This is what I mean by "the new normal". Does ameliorated mean fixed if 7 of 10 books still have NR's that are reduced, but not eliminated? Scratches suggest either a new problem or a method employed to fix one problem that produces another. If "ameliorated" means settling then it sounds like some folks have reached a point of surrendering to the inevitable.  Truely sad scenario if you ask me.

Hopefully, walclark will post before and after scans so we can judge for ourselves what is happening.  :popcorn:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I have the same scanner.  The new slabs were scanning very dark on my previous settings -- probably because the slabs are deeper.  Someone in the CG scanner thread suggested new settings.  I've been using those (with some tweaks), but my scans are now a bit brighter than they should be.  I could probably continue fiddling with the settings, but I'm fairly content with how they look now.  

This is the fault of the new holders, not our scanners.  Why should collectors have to switch scanner settings back and forth for different holders? That's just nuts.  

8 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Wow. This is what I mean by "the new normal". Does ameliorated mean fixed if 7 of 10 books still have NR's that are reduced, but not eliminated? Scratches suggest either a new problem or a method employed to fix one problem that produces another. If "ameliorated" means settling then it sounds like some folks have reached a point of surrendering to the inevitable.  Truely sad scenario if you ask me.

Hopefully, walclark will post before and after scans so we can judge for ourselves what is happening.  :popcorn:

Well, I'll give it a shot.  Here are a couple shots from a submission that came back in June...about the time that people were beginning to sit up and take notice.

Frankenstein #9 (with arrows pointing towards rings)

2111288065_frankenstein9001.thumb.jpg.1ae28fc77172d2fdd4516b46ac35ffd9.jpg

frankenstein9closeuprings.jpg.55444f7b9d10cc85d7126148b3088dad.jpg

The Bill Barnes also suffers from the scratches inside the slab.  There are about a dozen parallel scratches running horizontally across the logo area.  Only one is large enough to photograph.  The rest are smaller and faint, but certainly visible in the right lighting.

billbarnes4closeupscratches.jpg.70499cb1992d2bd9e41575b31eba6494.jpg

In short, earlier submissions had very easily seen ring effects.  The most recent batch still has them, but you have to actively look for them and they are not as distracting as those from earlier this year.

thrilling46a.thumb.jpg.6222b4af41ff9646c75fd34ea3f52818.jpg

thrilling46b.jpg.43ee317387cecf9c1fd1eb299ba13efa.jpg

Edited by walclark
changed image due to double post

5 hours ago, szavisca said:

So, I'll admit I've never cracked a slab so don't have a great grasp on the inner construction and exactly how its all pieced together.  These scratches on the interior...any clue how or why that's happening? 

I know the books don't move around much in the slab but is it possible the scratched inner surface of the holders is providing a rough surface that could potentially damage the cover as it rubs up against it?  Either by snagging it or creating indentations if the piece of plastic pressing up against the cover isn't totally smooth.

I would think (hope) that the scratches are not on the inside of the inner well - and thus never come in contact with the comic itself, but I don't know for sure. :(Regardless, I'm as concerned about scratches as I am about Newton Rings. Sqeegs, were there scratches on your recent reholders?

18 minutes ago, walclark said:

@skypinkblu Sharon, didn’t you have some decent pictures of the scratches on the inside of the slabs?  I can’t get a good shot of them.

I don't know if I do, Walter, but I will look. To me, the scratches looked like there were from some kind of polishing implement, not something from an inner well. I don't know how hard  plastic is polished, but from my experience with glass, it might be some kind of polishing wheel.

They don't bother me nearly as much as the rings.

I'm going through 2 boxes that I got yesterday.  A lot of the books are better, so far only 12 out of 35 books have rings, most are as Walter said "Mitigated" but I just found this one. There are 3 others that are pretty bad. On the others, the rings are on colors not the faces, but I have to wait till it stops raining and look in sunlight.

There shouldn't be an "only" I know that, but I want to give people credit for improving, last time 41 out of 50 books had rings.

2059853042_wonderwoman108cgcnewtonrings0001.thumb.jpg.a176236405673cf7aeada2b7dea303ab.jpg

41 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm going through 2 boxes that I got yesterday.  A lot of the books are better, so far only 12 out of 35 books have rings, most are as Walter said "Mitigated" but I just found this one. There are 3 others that are pretty bad. On the others, the rings are on colors not the faces, but I have to wait till it stops raining and look in sunlight.

There shouldn't be an "only" I know that, but I want to give people credit for improving, last time 41 out of 50 books had rings.

2059853042_wonderwoman108cgcnewtonrings0001.thumb.jpg.a176236405673cf7aeada2b7dea303ab.jpg

Yikes!  That one looks as bad as the earlier ones before they recently tweaked the system.  Pain in the neck to do so, but you should probably send it back.

Since they seem to have a fix for the problem, you wonder how that one got through QC.