• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton rings!
6 6

235 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:
On 8/20/2018 at 5:30 PM, Yorick said:

I recently won a modern book with horrible rings on the front side, but (incredibly) not a single ring on the reverse.  Maybe CGC can just put the books in backward from now on?

DSC_0940.JPG

DSC_0941.JPG

You're definition of "winning" slightly differs from mine, but I'm getting a better grasp on a possible rationale for the more visibly prominent grade.  With increased incidences of Newton Rings it's like saying "Don't look at the book, ...LOOK AT THE GRADE!!!"

:idea:

Well, she's back.  Much improved, although there are still a couple of rings -- most noticeably under her left eye.  I've included the before and after scans.

I sent back four books with bad Newton rings.  Three of them came back with no rings and this one came back with just a couple.  Maybe the crisis has passed? hm

2018-08-31-0001_zpsbndudef4.JPG

2018-07-05-0001_zpsnvjwgvnp.thumb.JPG.7160aeba32dba362aa295b6ad3e4b716.jpg

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, she's back.  Much improved, although there are still a couple of rings -- most noticeably under her left eye.  I've included the before and after scans.

I sent back four books with bad Newton rings.  Three of them came back with no rings and this one came back with just a couple.  Maybe the crisis has passed? hm

Good news! Sent off 2 books last week .... hoping for the same!

On 8/20/2018 at 5:30 PM, Yorick said:

I recently won a modern book with horrible rings on the front side, but (incredibly) not a single ring on the reverse.  Maybe CGC can just put the books in backward from now on?

DSC_0940.JPG

I suggested the same thing, lol.

@Sqeggs, thanks f

DSC_0941.JPG

@Sqeggs  Thanks for posting that, it's encouraging!

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Good to know, I've built up a little order and was just about to ask if its safe to go back into the water again.

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Looks like it may be safe to go back in the water. If not right away, then soon. Thanks for sounding the alarm. Not easy to do when it's your books coming back fugly.

18 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Good news! Thanks for the update!

I noticed there are quite a few slabbed comics with excessive newton rings in this week's Heritage auction.

I also noticed there are several comics in which HA does not use their usual "Imaged by Heritage Auctions, HA.com" watermark at the bottom of the image.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that all of the images that are missing the HA watermark have excessive newton rings. On the other hand, there is a watermark on all images of raw comics, comics from a competitor, comics in the older CGC holder, and comics in the new CGC holder without excessive newton rings.

Maybe it's coincidence, or perhaps Heritage is trying to distance themselves from the newton rings?

Anyone else notice this?

I bit the bullet and just bought a new slab book last week.  Yep, it has Newton Rings, not a lot, but any is too many for me.  I couldn't see the oil slicks in the eBay image, but once in hand and in scans they're clearly there.  I've also noticed that my scans of the new slabbed book are darker & duller, perhaps due to the deeper well.  In hand, the colors are deeper and brighter, but I had to adjust my Photobucket settings to get closer to the actual color.  Of course I don't plan on keeping the book in the CGC slab.  Once burned, twice shy.  The only viable options are old label, raw or ...!

If anyone's curious, here's the new label CGC book (it's my second copy of this title in grade)...

99c9815f-4282-4f97-9636-d03e1a31c44d_zps

And for comparison's sake, here's my old label CGC Penn. ped. copy (...better color scan and no Newton Rings):

b9e998a5-5a72-4a22-810a-04e3df41b8b7_zps

Edited by Cat-Man_America

23 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I noticed there are quite a few slabbed comics with excessive newton rings in this week's Heritage auction.

I also noticed there are several comics in which HA does not use their usual "Imaged by Heritage Auctions, HA.com" watermark at the bottom of the image.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that all of the images that are missing the HA watermark have excessive newton rings. On the other hand, there is a watermark on all images of raw comics, comics from a competitor, comics in the older CGC holder, and comics in the new CGC holder without excessive newton rings.

Maybe it's coincidence, or perhaps Heritage is trying to distance themselves from the newton rings?

Anyone else notice this?

I hadn't noticed, but that is interesting.  You may well be correct.  I know that they are very concerned about the NR problem -- concerned enough that they have been sending some books to the other guys.  

4 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I bit the bullet and just bought a new slab book last week.  Yep, it has Newton Rings, not a lot, but any is too many for me.  I couldn't see the oil slicks in the eBay image, but once in hand and in scans they're clearly there.  I've also noticed that my scans of the new slabbed book are darker & duller, perhaps due to the deeper well.  In hand, the colors are deeper and brighter, but I had to adjust my Photobucket settings to get closer to the actual color.  Of course I don't plan on keeping the book in the CGC slab.  Once burned, twice shy.  The only viable options are old label, raw or ...!

If anyone's curious, here's the new label CGC book (it's my second copy of this title in grade)...

And for comparison's sake, here's my old label CGC Penn. ped. copy (the colors are much closer in hand ...and no Newton Rings):

b9e998a5-5a72-4a22-810a-04e3df41b8b7_zps

You can't stop Newton rings; you can only hope to contain them! :)

6 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I may be wrong but your new slab looks to be of the '1st generation' type of the new slab design, the one with the so called 'creep engine' that slowly squeezes the book to death. I am saying this because I do not see an inner well. If so, you do not want to keep it in that slab. Get it reslabbed as soon as possible. Don't worry about the Newton rings as they are harmless compared to this slab design.

21 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I hadn't noticed, but that is interesting.  You may well be correct.  I know that they are very concerned about the NR problem -- concerned enough that they have been sending some books to the other guys.  

Is it safe to assume that HA has let CGC know about their concerns regarding the NR problem?

On 9/7/2018 at 7:13 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Is it safe to assume that HA has let CGC know about their concerns regarding the NR problem?

I believe there was the proverbial "frank exchange of views."  A bystander or two may have been winged by the small arms fire. :whatthe:

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I believe there was the proverbial "frank exchange of views."  A bystander or two may have been winged by the small arms fire. :whatthe:

Go on :popcorn:

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Go on :popcorn:

I know they were pretty discontented.  How can they not have been given the volume of books they both slab themselves and sell for consignors?  I'm not sure whether the recent adjustments to the slabbing techniques -- or whatever it is that seems to have ameliorated the problem -- have entirely satisfied them, but my impression is that they may not yet be entirely back on board.  Interesting, given the connections between the two companies. 

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I know they were pretty discontented.  How can they not have been given the volume of books they both slab themselves and sell for consignors?  I'm not sure whether the recent adjustments to the slabbing techniques -- or whatever it is that seems to have ameliorated the problem -- have entirely satisfied them, but my impression is that they may not yet be entirely back on board.  Interesting, given the connections between the two companies. 

You'd think CGC would want to solve the problem just to stop everyone going on about it. It's actually pretty tedious reading / hearing about it all the time now isn't it.

Nice use of 'ameliorated' by the way :headbang: