• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quills from the Crypt
4 4

281 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AJD said:

Tell us more about this one...l

I'll tell you the little I know.The cover is from Red Seal Comics #19-by Superior Publications that took over from Chesler after #18.The interior is a mash up of oddball teenage humour stuff,front cover is newsprint like the rest of the book,and is cut short.The white-ish border you see is actually the first page.That's about all I know about it,oh and it's a Canadian book,possible printed in Britain for sale here?That rings a bell...and I am fairly certain it's advert free.I did read it,but it was sort of terrible,with awful printing inside,blotchy.

Someone once mentioned to me they saw a picture of it in a book or mag article,but couldn't remember what.The comic is one of those strange and I assume rare forties-I believe-Canuck books that I treasure.Maybe Stephen can add some information,he's a king of Canadian books.I think we talked about it briefly,but that was quite some time ago,and to be honest I can't remember :frown: @eccomic Could you lend some of your tremendous ken of Canadian comics?

Edited by porcupine48

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Thanks everyone who read and showed support today,thanks for baring with me.

Here's some comic stuff to get back on track.

Was super pleased to find this at a pawn shop some years ago for five bucks!

If I remember right it was sixteen higher grade copies,I gifted a few and the rest are stashed somewhere in the hoard

!!!!!5.jpg

I think I have that issue somewhere, it may have gotten dumped somewhere along the way.  If I recall, there was a giveaway around Superman's 50th where you could send away for both that issue and a reprint of Action #1 (which wound up just being the Superman story, with a paper cover.)  I never saw a display like that that I recall. 

7 hours ago, AJD said:

Tell us more about this one...l

The interior is Scooter comics that was published by Rucker Publishing Circa 1948 in Toronto, Ontario Canada. I believe FLASH was distributed in the UK. in spite of the fifteen cent cover price

831902.jpg

313095.jpg

Edited by eccomic

4 hours ago, eccomic said:

The interior is Scooter comics that was published by Rucker Publishing Circa 1948 in Toronto, Ontario Canada. I believe FLASH was distributed in the UK. in spite of the fifteen cent cover price

831902.jpg

313095.jpg

Thank you fine sir.

Even if it was distributed in the UK rather than here at home I still love it plenty.Great cover on the Scooter,thank you for posting it!

9 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I think I have that issue somewhere, it may have gotten dumped somewhere along the way.  If I recall, there was a giveaway around Superman's 50th where you could send away for both that issue and a reprint of Action #1 (which wound up just being the Superman story, with a paper cover.)  I never saw a display like that that I recall. 

I think the display was the most exciting part of the find for me-Well,when the fellow said just gimme five bux was pretty great too! Istill have the display,but it's in a storage closet.A tad to big to have laying about and I imagine the cats would have a good old time sleeping and scratching in it !!!!!0.jpg.1f89794dfc3ff1a41a8f4ce16fa00c46.jpg

Any chance to post his royal Linus....

Recently was very pleased to get this lovely,lovely magazine from a fellow board member.Figured it was about time I got myself some era Page stuff,and this hot dog pic is one of my favourite not so naughty images-like I could get away with posting the risque stuff!

Such a nice purple colour on this beautiful painted cover,wish the camera captured it a little better.

This magazine is TALL-I'm amazed it survived in such shape,as it's got me scrambling as to how I'm going to store it.A good inch taller than a mag box,and just a little taller than a long world war one rations,footlocker box I keep my other oddball stuff in.8 1/2 by 11 1/2!

mk5Ejed.jpg?1

XsvGHEI.jpg?1

That photo is bugging me.Here's a scan to show how lovely it is

Spoiler

bparade153.thumb.jpg.cdb7abfdbec7fff132b

Edited by porcupine48

6 minutes ago, AJD said:

Yeah, that Airboy cover is great. I assume the book is hard to find or it would be more popular?

It's very unusual isn't it. And thought provoking. I wonder if the split x-ray cover scenario features in the story? Does it Jim? @porcupine48

On 9/20/2019 at 8:12 PM, porcupine48 said:

There's something that's been weighing heavy on my heart this week,and I just need to get something out I guess.

It'll be five years on Sunday I got a phone call from his brother that my best friend Tim died,he'd been found dead of a drug overdose.Tim had pretty much lived with us on and off for close to five years,we had a spare room set up for him,he pitched in for food-but three makes a crowd so a few times a month I'd send him back to his ma,were he had his own room.It was one of these times that week,although I did see him,I mean we were the BEST of chums,did almost everything together,staying up most nights talking till the sun came up as we'd both had shall we say interesting lives.The night before,well he died that night,he'd wanted to spend the night,but I just wanted some time alone with my partner.We'd spent the day hanging out,so we walked him to the bus with our dog Penny,hugs all around and that was the last time I ever saw him.I know I couldn't have stopped it.I know Mrs Porcupine could have found both of us dead that morning-I've admitted my past drug and alcohol issues before,three years plus clean now-but it still hurts,and there will always be that what if.

Tim was a big,strong man.He'd survived gang life in east Vancouver,Wasting and Pain they call those streets.He'd survived seven of the twenty years I knew him in prison,he'd cleaned his life up.He was a survivor of church abuse as a young lad.He made it through years as a bouncer at a strip joint just at the city limits known for violence and motorcycle gang activity.But all it took was a needle and a small amount of fentanyl to do the big fella in.Recently they opened a safe injection site in my neighbourhood,so with drugs comes the crime and the folk that use them,so everyday my eyes are open to the pain of addiction and the suffering that comes with it.I used to try and help out there,but of late,it just hurts too much.

In the last few years since my hospital stay and recovery,I'm almost out of fingers and toes to count how many people I've lost due to this epidemic.I'm pretty damn close to being out of old friends,and I worry deeply for some that are still here.I doubt there are very many here with drug problems,but I'm sure you all have been affected in some way or another,friends of friends,family-it doesn't start with heroin.It often starts with medications rx'ed by a doctor.However it starts,it often ends very sadly,and when it does end sadly,there are grieving people left behind.Be careful out there folks.Even a few drinks with an opiate painkiller can do it.

I hope you're resting in peace Tim,I'll be visiting on Sunday

That's Tim in the leather trousers-boy did I make fun of him that night-and myself in healthier,chubbier times with the rat on my shoulder.

Not a day goes by that I don't miss him.He was a hard man,but had a heart of gold.The best friend I'll ever have.I mean,how many long lasting,deep friendships does one make in their forties,especially living on borrowed time as I am?

!!!!!1.jpg

!!!!!!1.jpg

Jim, I'm sorry to go back to this, I hope you don't mind.

I know today is the five year anniversary of Tim's passing and I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you my friend :foryou:

Although everyone's situation is unique, I can empathise deeply with your pain. I too have lost many friends to the disease of addiction, and struggled with it myself over the years. As you know, I lost my brother to a heroin overdose in March, so this hits very close to home.

I hope your visit with Tim today brings you a bit of peace, and just know that there's nothing you could have done differently to change what happened. You were obviously a great friend to Tim and brought him much happiness during his life, so try to take some solace in that and not dwell on the "what-ifs". I know it's easier said than done, and I still struggle to practice what I'm preaching here, so take that for what it's worth.

Hang in there bud. 

Thanks Ryan.I'm going to take the rest of the day off from posting,no good will come of me being in a bad mood here,and I'm in an awful state.

I'll leave you gang with a comic though

cfxQ4QG.jpg?1

YOvIR3k.jpg

BhtruEC.jpg?2

I'll come back and talk about the Airboy in a bit,sorry lads,my heart's just a little sore today and I've a thrist I'm not allowed to quench.Best leave before I turn into an angry dry drunk

15 hours ago, AJD said:

Yeah, that Airboy cover is great. I assume the book is hard to find or it would be more popular?

I'm not sure how hard,but in the time I've been here-and I look at most of the GA picture threads and sales-it's the only copy I've ever seen.That may be because it isn't more popular and more folks don't know about it?Now I've had a copy for some time maybe it's time to share the heck out of it!

Oh,and while I may have your attention,I finally got to read a Silver Flash comic on Comic Book Plus!Not my favourite cover issue you've posted,but I enjoyed it and the Crimson Comic very much.Never would have if not for you,thanks for that!

@Get Marwood & I -sadly there was no X-ray or skeleton horse inside.While it was enjoyable-some good punch and kick action shots,right in the ol kisser-it turned out to be more of a Scooby Doo superstitious villagers fall for a baddies scheme.The Heap story made up for it.How did you know I had to sit and read that while I had it out last night lol ?

Sharing pics from the Missus' phone is a lot easier than using the digital,but it just doesn't catch colour.This one is a little more vivid than in hand,but here's a nicer representation of the Vampiros

(not my scan,but the comic is in hand now)

brujas008.thumb.jpg.1d1ee15d4970ececc415

Found this at a local free book box.I loved this book as a small child,very happy to bring it home.Hopefully a young niece or nephew will have enough focus to let me read it to them

!!!!!0.jpg.3a38c1e02ccb1bf317f4f6e47a8e5ec8.jpg71185100_1248717575333965_68727037166931

I received a wonderful comic in the mail done by our own @Crimebuster and it looks great!

Thank you sir for the snazzy card and nice note to the postal workers!

woHJcbF.jpg?2upLmwQt.jpgg2kLvHd.jpg?2

Please support our board artists friends! I've been doing too much interneting,so I've yet to read it,but I can't wait!If it's okay with Crimebuster I can show a few interior shots as well-but maybe you need to get the comic.You should.

47 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I received a wonderful comic in the mail done by our own @Crimebuster and it looks great!

Thank you sir for the snazzy card and nice note to the postal workers!

woHJcbF.jpg?2upLmwQt.jpg

Please support our board artists friends! I've been doing too much interneting,so I've yet to read it,but I can't wait!If it's okay with Crimebuster I can show a few interior shots as well-but maybe you need to get the comic.You should.

Sure thing! The art gets better as it goes I think, I learned a lot during the long process of making this issue. 

I always try to write nice messages to the postal workers. A lot of times it just seems like people are yelling at them with the notes on the packages, so I think a little niceness is more likely to get the job done.

I received a comic book once from ebay and the person had written on the envelope "Do not bend! BABY PICTURES INSIDE!!" lol

Edited by Crimebuster

23 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

We are lucky to have them.  Me?  I couldn't draw in the dirt, with a stick good enough to communicate with a caveman.  

You make up for it with your gardening and cooking finesse!And butterfly love and photos!

And you're drawerings are likely wonderful :D

Edited by porcupine48