• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,752 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Is it the Mamas and the Papas? hm

believe it or not, my dad played golf when them way back in the day, my bio dad. Still he's not much for stories other than the Bible nowadays haha

1 hour ago, Spider-Variant said:

That's neat.  Loved their music.

But no, not them

then like stevey nicks or something? haha

or 

Have we established that it is the Zappa, but we need to make it stick to Spidey and Andru?

lol Everyone was trying to frame or stick it to spidey early on haha

21 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

then like stevey nicks or something? haha

or 

Have we established that it is the Zappa, but we need to make it stick to Spidey and Andru?

lol Everyone was trying to frame or stick it to spidey early on haha

Not Zappa, Think magazines ...

Just now, Spider-Variant said:

Not Zappa, Think magazines ...

sonny from sonny and cher? lol 

we demand a hint haha, but we got magazines so I'll keep a thinkin'

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

sonny from sonny and cher? lol 

we demand a hint haha, but we got magazines so I'll keep a thinkin'

The hint is that one of them is incredibly well known, but apparently not recognizable.  I didn't recognize the person and I am still kind of scratching my head in disbelief.  But I have not seen a lot of photos from this time period of the person, so maybe....

Edited by Spider-Variant

14 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Ok, think 70s magazines.   Think artist and inker.  

There is one person in that picture that everyone here knows.  Again, not recognizable, at least by me.

It's got to be the guy on the right above what looks to be a spidey calendar lol

He looks a bit old gene Simmonsy, but the only "mag " person I know is frazetta that's famous or infamous, depending on your philosophical bent. Still I'm not sure what he looks like, I'd look at the thick glasses as a clue, but again I dont know too much on mags in general......

hm

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's got to be the guy on the right above what looks to be a spidey calendar lol

He looks a bit old gene Simmonsy, but the only "mag " person I know is frazetta that's famous or infamous, depending on your philosophical bent. Still I'm not sure what he looks like, I'd look at the thick glasses as a clue, but again I dont know too much on mags in general......

hm

Well, to be fair, the magazine in question is pretty obscure....

Now people here are thinking back in the 70s...

Jigsaw puzzles photo finish :news:

But not annoying at all....... to get up someone's nose:blush:

its really a pretty obscure magazine

2 hours ago, ganni said:

Now people here are thinking back in the 70s...

Jigsaw puzzles photo finish :news:

But not annoying at all....... to get up someone's nose:blush:

its really a pretty obscure magazine

We have a positive ID on the magazine.

Now, @ganni name one of the players!  

The year was around 1972, when Ross Andru and Mike Esposito wanted to publish an independently published magazine, similar to Mad magazine.  They came up with the name Up Your Nose (and Out Your Ear).  It was a combination of Ross and Mike's art with real life photos thrown in here and there.

Mike Esposito hired his daughter Michelle (far left in the photo) and her friends Caryn and Joe Snow (both in center of the photo) to be involved in the photo shoots.  The photo below was provided by Caryn, who is in the photo and good friends with the Espositos.  

I asked her if she remembers anything about Ross.  That's when she came up with the photo and wrote " He loved interfering with the direction, thus, probably annoying Mike and the photographer. Poor Michele was often his target. We shot one issue at Ross’s house in Rockaway, when he was out of town. I have a proof foto of Ross doing just that. When I locate it, I’ll try to post it here."

So, the man on the far right, is ..................Ross Andru.  It doesn't look like what I envisioned, although it's hard to tell from this angle.  He would have been 45 at the time, but if I compare photos of him from the 1978 Spider-Man calendar, again it doesn't look like him.  But maybe those photos in the calendar were of a younger Ross.  

I did some digging and found this great article by Dan Best 

https://mike-destasio.blogspot.com/2011/07/thelma-of-apes-article-by-daniel-best.html?fbclid=IwAR1BbUIYTao5mUCmHiIiO6Ty1VMq3RwlYUNlRetdOaz6HtOZDTdsKv8wzd8&_sm_au_=i057QHV1DvSNnf3qML8tvK34L00HF

This article matches what Caryn posted to me exactly.  So, I am going with Caryn that the gent in the far right is indeed Ross, giving direction on this photo shoot.

Up Your Nose was a huge shipper, but when I got to the stands, the stores refused to sell it.  The reason.  They thought it was a drug book, because of Joe Snow, the guy on the ground in the photo.  The stores returned all the books.  So it went from huge success, to failure over night.  The sad part is that the guy's name really was Joe Snow.

And thus instead of continuing to publish Up Your Nose and making great money, Ross and Mike went on to do the art for Amazing Spider-Man, all because of a man named Joe Snow.

And now you know the rest of the story....

Please read Dan Best's article, lots of great stuff in there.  Ross and Mike were definitely ahead of their time.

May be an image of 2 people

18 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

The year was around 1972, when Ross Andru and Mike Esposito wanted to publish an independently published magazine, similar to Mad magazine.  They came up with the name Up Your Nose (and Out Your Ear).  It was a combination of Ross and Mike's art with real life photos thrown in here and there.

Mike Esposito hired his daughter Michelle (far left in the photo) and her friends Caryn and Joe Snow (both in center of the photo) to be involved in the photo shoots.  The photo below was provided by Caryn, who is in the photo and good friends with the Espositos.  

I asked her if she remembers anything about Ross.  That's when she came up with the photo and wrote " He loved interfering with the direction, thus, probably annoying Mike and the photographer. Poor Michele was often his target. We shot one issue at Ross’s house in Rockaway, when he was out of town. I have a proof foto of Ross doing just that. When I locate it, I’ll try to post it here."

So, the man on the far right, is ..................Ross Andru.  It doesn't look like what I envisioned, although it's hard to tell from this angle.  He would have been 45 at the time, but if I compare photos of him from the 1978 Spider-Man calendar, again it doesn't look like him.  But maybe those photos in the calendar were of a younger Ross.  

I did some digging and found this great article by Dan Best 

https://mike-destasio.blogspot.com/2011/07/thelma-of-apes-article-by-daniel-best.html?fbclid=IwAR1BbUIYTao5mUCmHiIiO6Ty1VMq3RwlYUNlRetdOaz6HtOZDTdsKv8wzd8&_sm_au_=i057QHV1DvSNnf3qML8tvK34L00HF

This article matches what Caryn posted to me exactly.  So, I am going with Caryn that the gent in the far right is indeed Ross, giving direction on this photo shoot.

Up Your Nose was a huge shipper, but when I got to the stands, the stores refused to sell it.  The reason.  They thought it was a drug book, because of Joe Snow, the guy on the ground in the photo.  The stores returned all the books.  So it went from huge success, to failure over night.  The sad part is that the guy's name really was Joe Snow.

And thus instead of continuing to publish Up Your Nose and making great money, Ross and Mike went on to do the art for Amazing Spider-Man, all because of a man named Joe Snow.

And now you know the rest of the story....

Please read Dan Best's article, lots of great stuff in there.  Ross and Mike were definitely ahead of their time.

May be an image of 2 people

Ha! What an awesome display of circumstantial predicaments, precariously even!

FUN!  

2 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Wow! As Johnny Carson would say: That is some wild, crazy stuff right there!

Johnny Carson is where they got the name of the magazine from, as he would say "May the birds of paradise fly up your nose" on his show. 

Maybe you knew that though...