• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ganni said:

Remembering his last run of the amazing spider-man...

asm185.jpg

Yes, Happy Birthday Mr A. No doubt he's up there now in spirit world drawing something. Or taking photos of it to draw later. 

It was quite nice that his exit from the title wrapped up that chapter of Peter's life wasn't it. Although I must confess, I don't recall anyone ever demanding that graduation story. And I preferred the original head. Reggie will dig that out to remind us, I'm sure.... :wishluck:

185ne.thumb.jpg.7db9823b682079c2cc2226fcefe85dab.jpg 185mji.thumb.jpg.e8901f3a9cacc141c21fcddf56a4a937.jpg 185whitman.thumb.jpg.1353163536eb511d99c102dc4c935c43.jpg

1 minute ago, ganni said:

@Get Marwood & I

Three backing boards, an internal Mylite2, trimmed to size with the label and an outer Mylite2 ? (thumbsu

Happy Birthday Mr.A...

You got it :grin:

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, Happy Birthday Mr A. No doubt he's up there now in spirit world drawing something. Or taking photos of it to draw later. 

It was quite nice that his exit from the title wrapped up that chapter of Peter's life wasn't it. Although I must confess, I don't recall anyone ever demanding that graduation story. And I preferred the original head. Reggie will dig that out to remind us, I'm sure.... :wishluck:

185ne.thumb.jpg.7db9823b682079c2cc2226fcefe85dab.jpg 185mji.thumb.jpg.e8901f3a9cacc141c21fcddf56a4a937.jpg 185whitman.thumb.jpg.1353163536eb511d99c102dc4c935c43.jpg

Wow, I turn my back for a second and there's a Ross Andru BDay celebration going on!  Love it!

Here is the original cover Steve.  I will admit I like the published version better.

ASM 185 really was the end of the Bronze Age for me.  After this issue, Spider-Man just seemed to be in a new chapter of both the character's life and the series' life.  Keith Pollard, although a good enough artist, just didn't excite me the way Ross's depictions of Spider-Man did.  

It really wouldn't be until John Romita Jr.'s first stint on the book that I enjoyed it again.

Also, here is my favorite photo of Ross. 

image.png.3b4bd71496bdc780f260c55e43db9853.png

image.thumb.png.acdc68e7c1741b3b710386d32d919715.png

1 hour ago, Spider-Variant said:

Wow, I turn my back for a second and there's a Ross Andru BDay celebration going on!  Love it!

:banana:

Here is the original cover Steve.  I will admit I like the published version better.

Both aren't much cop really, to be honest. Ross's is too egg shaped, but has great eyes, the other is a good shape, but the eyes are too big.

ASM 185 really was the end of the Bronze Age for me.  After this issue, Spider-Man just seemed to be in a new chapter of both the character's life and the series' life.  Keith Pollard, although a good enough artist, just didn't excite me the way Ross's depictions of Spider-Man did.  

It really wouldn't be until John Romita Jr.'s first stint on the book that I enjoyed it again.

Same here - even as a kid I can remember registering the drop in quality following Ross's departure. I often say, everything good about Spidey was in those first 185 issues. 

Also, here is my favorite photo of Ross. 

Great isn't it. Much better than the more regularly used one which (as we pointed out previously) looks like a completely different man 220px-Ross_Andru_(1977).jpg.1dafa1d8ecfa48acf31034a1da1e3354.jpg

image.thumb.png.acdc68e7c1741b3b710386d32d919715.png

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

:banana:

Both aren't much cop really, to be honest. Ross's is too egg shaped, but has great eyes, the other is a good shape, but the eyes are too big.

Same here - even as a kid I can remember registering the drop in quality following Ross's departure. I often say, everything good about Spidey was in those first 185 issues. 

Great isn't it. Much better than the more regularly used one which (as we pointed out previously) looks like a completely different man 220px-Ross_Andru_(1977).jpg.1dafa1d8ecfa48acf31034a1da1e3354.jpg

I tell myself I am going to track down whatever Ross is drawing on that board, but then I think I don't really get pulled down another rabbit hole, lol.

:p

55 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I tell myself I am going to track down whatever Ross is drawing on that board, but then I think I don't really get pulled down another rabbit hole, lol.

:p

Do you know hat year the photo was taken? The art looks like character studies for cartoon animals. Fox and Crow or something like that. The bottom right character looks like a dog - the one above a crow or bird or some sort:

image.thumb.png.acdc68e7c1741b3b710386d32d919715.png.2561be6aa42af66f446685011dac7362.png

If we knew the date, and the work was published, we might be able to find something. This from Wikipandru:

"In 1946, Andru worked for an animation studio in Manhattan drawing artwork for Chiclets chewing gum commercials."

Could be something like that. 

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Do you know hat year the photo was taken? The art looks like character studies for cartoon animals. Fox and Crow or something like that. The bottom right character looks like a dog - the one above a crow or bird or some sort:

image.thumb.png.acdc68e7c1741b3b710386d32d919715.png.2561be6aa42af66f446685011dac7362.png

If we knew the date, and the work was published, we might be able to find something. This from Wikipandru:

"In 1946, Andru worked for an animation studio in Manhattan drawing artwork for Chiclets chewing gum commercials."

Could be something like that. 

I do not know the year, unfortunately, but that's a nice find, that could definitely be it.  In 1946, Ross would have been the ripe old age of 19.  

Edited by Spider-Variant

Thanks for posting the Andru original art pages from those auctions. Very cool to see!

Here’s a question: Does anyone have a comic signed by Andru - Spidey would he especially sweet, but Wonder Woman..? Metal Men? Flash? MTU?

I don’t think I’ve seen one…

(apologies if this has been answered before in the thread)

7 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Thanks for posting the Andru original art pages from those auctions. Very cool to see!

Here’s a question: Does anyone have a comic signed by Andru - Spidey would he especially sweet, but Wonder Woman..? Metal Men? Flash? MTU?

I don’t think I’ve seen one…

(apologies if this has been answered before in the thread)

Not sure if this is legit, but you'd expect a photo or two to exist of the event, wouldn't you and I can't find any after a quick search. 

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/amazing-spider-man-158-1976-fn-fn-542881290

Capture.PNG.ee9a4d4a8b9ba649453551443398a069.PNG

Captureb.thumb.PNG.2b4136a993f65ecec3c19c6c1e0aa72e.PNG

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Not sure if this is legit, but you'd expect a photo or two to exist of the event, wouldn't you and I can't find any after a quick search. 

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/amazing-spider-man-158-1976-fn-fn-542881290

Capture.PNG.ee9a4d4a8b9ba649453551443398a069.PNG

Captureb.thumb.PNG.2b4136a993f65ecec3c19c6c1e0aa72e.PNG

You can see Ross's signature on a few original art pages, here and there.    I can dig a few out, if there is interest.

The one above posted by @Get Marwood & I look legit to me, but I'm no expert.  Would love to own that book, if true.

6 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

You can see Ross's signature on a few original art pages, here and there.    I can dig a few out, if there is interest.

The one above posted by @Get Marwood & I look legit to me, but I'm no expert.  Would love to own that book, if true.

The listing text says it was signed "February 9, 1992 at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City at a Comic Book Convention"

I can't find any mention of that on Google.

I did find this:

Capture.thumb.PNG.fbc15282f9a64feaa0877ff10a963d61.PNG

...on here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Eastern_Conventions

Maybe they got the date wrong, but you'd think there would be one photo on Google somewhere of an appearance of Andru & Esposito at a comic con from 1992, wouldn't you? They did have cameras back then. 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The listing text says it was signed "February 9, 1992 at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City at a Comic Book Convention"

I can't find any mention of that on Google.

I did find this:

Capture.thumb.PNG.fbc15282f9a64feaa0877ff10a963d61.PNG

...on here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Eastern_Conventions

Maybe they got the date wrong, but you'd think there would be one photo on Google somewhere of an appearance of Andru & Esposito at a comic con from 1992, wouldn't you? They did have cameras back then. 

Too funny Steve, I was doing the exact same thing, looking for the specific convention.

You got further than I did though.  2/9/92 was a Sunday, so maybe.  I did see where Great Eastern Conventions held some events in 1993.

The auction said it came with a certificate of authenticity and the date is very specific.   Would love to find evidence.

12 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Too funny Steve, I was doing the exact same thing, looking for the specific convention.

You got further than I did though.  2/9/92 was a Sunday, so maybe.  I did see where Great Eastern Conventions held some events in 1993.

The auction said it came with a certificate of authenticity and the date is very specific.   Would love to find evidence.

Keep digging Reggie

We were discussing how few pictures of Ross exist, and how different he looks in each - one giveaway - checked shirts :bigsmile:

Capture.PNG.bf905164a4e04ee94eff5b38667832c8.PNG  Capture2.PNG.f555945b40d69fbca1c0ae1bc5982c6c.PNG  Capturec.PNG.82eb924d5c854d32d55dd55eba8fc81f.PNG

Is that the same bloke!?