• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

Just now, Spider-Variant said:

All Hail the Mighty Get Marwood!   We're not worthy, we're not worthy.....(worship)(worship)(worship):banana::banana:

Bollocks to Marwood, I did all the good stuff :taptaptap:

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
5 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

All Hail the Mighty Get Marwood!   We're not worthy, we're not worthy.....(worship)(worship)(worship):banana::banana:

Bollocks to Marwood, I did all the good stuff 

Hail the all seeing "I" :tink: 

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hail the all seeing "I" :tink: 

Hold on, that was actually funny

hm

Who are you, and what have you done with Adamantium? :taptaptap:

Spoiler

:foryou: :D

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hold on, that was actually funny

hm

Who are you, and what have you done with Adamantium? :taptaptap:

Reveal hidden contents

:foryou: :D

:shy: got a good nights sleep, I did, well my best people cause I'm off to do my rounds :foryou: 

No specific mention of a No-Prize, but I think they were automatic with a published letter.  My high school friends and I occasionally referred to ourselves as a "scurvy lot of swarthy brigands" quite often thereafter, although only two of us could actually be thought of as "swarthy."  Definitely all looked like we had scurvy.

This issue is now so valuable, Gocollect has it only as "FMV Pending."  There's a rumor I'm going to be invited to a Signature Series event.

Edited by MattTheDuck

24 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:
30 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:

Your wish is my command.  Within reason.

Unfortunately, runs bottom left to upper right, so here's the whole letters page!

Thor LTE.jpg

Expand  

“Excelsior!”

@MattTheDuck I'll admit that is not the "e-Jack-word" that stood out to me lol

But a...las!

Matt! That's AWESOME! Excelsior!  :tink:

16 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

The mysterious case of the Amazing Spider-Man 139 original art board.

If you look at every original art board from ASM 139, you will notice something interesting (well, to my easily intrigued butt).  Ross wrote issue 136 in pencil on every one.  Oh that's easy, he just messed up the 139 and 136.  Well, except he also put MAY on everyone too.  ASM 139 had a cover date of Dec. 1974, which means the on the stands date was around 9/10/74, which means the schedule date should have been August, not MAY.  But for ASM 136, with a cover date of Sept. 1974 and an on the stands date of 6/74, a May schedule date would have made perfect sense.  So much so, that the original artwork for ASM 136 has the May schedule date on it (I have only seen one page from ASM 136 though).

So why the hell was Ross penciling ASM 136 and MAY on the artboards for ASM 139.  Obviously ASM 136 would have shipped 3 months earlier.    Did he just pencil too many artboards for ASM 136 and used them on ASM 139.  I even wondered if the story in ASM 139 was originally intended to start after the end of ASM 135, but there would be too many things that wouldn't line up, like why would Peter be looking for an apartment (if ASM 136, 137, 138 all didn't happen or were going to happen later).

I don't know and no one probably ever will.    Just a cool chance to show Ross's Grizzly though.

image.png.a9b122cc59d57bacf29e464054dc90aa.png

Didn't Marvel go through a period of time when they wanted artists to create their two page double page spreads on one to save money?   It's described in this HA auction Listing .  

Maybe during this era Marvel was stamping 'amazing spiderman' AND putting the issue number on the blank art boards.  It wouldn't be that surprising for these artists to just use their supplies and not use it in order. 

Edited by bababooey

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

Didn't Marvel go through a period of time when they wanted artists to create their two page double page spreads on one to save money?   It's described in this HA auction Listing .  

Maybe during this era Marvel was stamping 'amazing spiderman' AND putting the issue number on the blank art boards.  It wouldn't be that surprising for these artists to just use their supplies and not use it in order. 

Yes, this issue actual has one of those pages.    We discussed the use of these a while back in this thread.

That's definitely a possibility.  The penciled in issue number and MAY all seem like Ross's though, at least to me.

image.thumb.png.fbd2c5c3298bf9c81f9dce9a0ba9e16c.png

Mike Esposito's daughter just shared this 1957 photo of her and Ross on Facebook .  This is definitely my favorite Ross picture ever and once again illustrates how there is no way you would recognize Ross based on the different photos out there of him.  Man was a chameleon.

May be a black-and-white image of 1 person, child and indoor