• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

888 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Behind the scenes, we are constantly working to improve the CGC holder. Most recently, we have made a slight modification to the inner dimensions of our standard holder to accommodate the increasing variety of comic book sizes and paper stocks. In our testing, this minor modification was also shown to reduce the presence of the rainbow effect for many books. We did not want to share our findings until our thorough testing was complete, and now that it is, we are pleased to report that these modified holders have been fully integrated into our encapsulation process with very positive results.

CGC continues to research enhancements to its holders, including ones that may further reduce the rainbow effect, and we will keep you updated with any noteworthy developments.

Thanks again.

See I thought this claimed there was a "fix" in the works? is that not true....? Just curious 

1 minute ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:
5 minutes ago, comicdonna said:
23 minutes ago, DR.X said:

I can send you a ham sandwich?

lol  My wife is supposed to be cooking ham.  

DR.X is psychic...especially about ham.

He can sniff out a pig at a thousand paces.

8 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

By the way, if you know me at all, you know that I try to be as fair as possible, call things as I see them, and give credit where credit is due.

This is a shout-out to Brittany McManus.

Since CGC's new case came out almost 2 1/2 years ago, I have personally referred about 50 people who were experiencing problems to Brittany.  Without exception, ALL the feedback I received was beyond positive.  Not everyone had their problems solved, but everyone that I talked to felt that Brittany did her absolute best to help them.  Quite frankly, the other grading companies don't have anyone like this working for them, and it shows.  CGC would do well to keep her happy and well paid.  :D

'Nuff said.

Absolutely. Whatever they are paying her, it's not enough. 

12 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

By the way, if you know me at all, you know that I try to be as fair as possible, call things as I see them, and give credit where credit is due.

This is a shout-out to Brittany McManus.

Since CGC's new case came out almost 2 1/2 years ago, I have personally referred about 50 people who were experiencing problems to Brittany.  Without exception, ALL the feedback I received was beyond positive.  Not everyone had their problems solved, but everyone that I talked to felt that Brittany did her absolute best to help them.  Quite frankly, the other grading companies don't have anyone like this working for them, and it shows.  CGC would do well to keep her happy and well paid.  :D

'Nuff said.

Ya I just felt bad, because I believed right off the bat that it was Brittany McManus..... so much so that I got my hopes up and mailed her the 1 book that I had. I was worried there for a second that people thought it it wasn't her and I had been hoodwinked. 

Maybe a stretch, but I panicked :shy:

since my book was already in the mail, the thought of me being duped punched me in the gut.

Brittany had given me hope... and I don't want that taken away. I apologize lol I still have 15 book submission that is at cgc now.... :wishluck:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, I like pie said:

They are going to have a ton of emails Tuesday morning for reholderslol

Sure, send in your Newton Rings and get back the newly designed, full of scratches, inner well. If it's not one thing it's another.

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Sure, send in your Newton Rings and get back the newly designed, full of scratches, inner well. If it's not one thing it's another.

That's what I keep hearing, so I stand corrected..... kind of like when there was that first "fix" and some still said there were one's with too many rings...

I just didn't see it enough to believe it, now that there is a 19 page thread of them somehow getting worse, I'm glad CGC finally at least said something but we shall see if any results restore our good Faith.....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

41 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's what I keep hearing, so I stand corrected..... kind of like when there was that first "fix" and some still said there were one's with too many rings...

I just didn't see it enough to believe it, now that there is a 19 page thread of them somehow getting worse, I'm glad CGC finally at least said something but we shall see if any results restore our good Faith.....

Did you see this ? .....................

11 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Did you see this ? .....................

Interesting, I'll have to check the most recent that I've got back and check for this too....

Like I said, I'm likely to jump on this opportunity to get them reholdered. As I don't currently submit but maybe 1-2 books a year. With this being the most in a year I've ever submitted (15 at a time). I'm still learning the ins and outs (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/31/2018 at 12:49 PM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

This is interesting, and reinforces my belief that this problem is thickness-related with regard to the limited options CGC has for various sizes of books.

Note
1) Both books are FF52.
2) They were graded a full month apart from one another.
3) One is SS and the other is Universal.
4) Both share near-identical newton ring severity.

-----------

Certification Information

Certification #: 1601348001
Title: Fantastic Four
Issue: 52
Issue Date: 7/66
Issue Year: 1966
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Grade: 3.0
Page Quality: CREAM TO OFF-WHITE
Grade Date: 06/27/2018
Category: Signature
Art Comments: Stan Lee story
Jack Kirby & Joe Sinnott cover & art
Key Comments: 1st appearance of the Black Panther
(T'Challa). Inhumans appearance.
Signatures:

SIGNED BY STAN LEE ON 5/2/18

MaPbPmt.jpg

Certification #: 0352956015
Grade: 5.0
Page Quality: OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date: 07/26/2018
Category: Universal

dqRkG1T.jpg

Another one...

Certification #: 0344645004
Grade: 7.5
Total Graded At: 249
Page Quality: CREAM TO OFF-WHITE
Grade Date: 05/08/2018
Category: Universal

Ix4HArI.jpg

zLPiqvK.jpg

On 9/1/2018 at 5:20 PM, I like pie said:

They are going to have a ton of emails Tuesday morning for reholderslol

So do you think its best to e-mail them about the problem or just call? I anticipate a long wait by phone so maybe e-mail is the way to go.