• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to store OA?
1 1

53 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, malvin said:

I think he means an art portfolio for DPS art

Malvin

1 minute ago, malvin said:

I think he means an art portfolio for DPS art

Malvin

I meant to ask which one are those. I have 18x24 Itoyas but the dimensions are 18" width and 24" height meaning that to properly see a DPS I'd have to turn it around. Are there other Itoyas that have a 24" width and an 18" height that upon opening them you already see the DPS in all its glorious beauty without having to turn it around?

As a former collector of vintage world maps and historical manuscripts, I focus on storage materials to balance archival protection and presentation:   4-Mil Mylars (12.5" x 18.5") from E Gerber + 1/8" thick Archival Acid-free foam board (12.25" x 18.25") from MatboardandMore.com + Archival 1" mounting corners from Lineco.  This protects all four corners of art from damage, plus the foam board is light yet rigid.  

Storage.jpg.54b4fb7b5269c5a3f8469b8987772bc3.jpg 

Custom sticker on top to keep everything secure and stored ~20 pieces in a large (18" x 24") ziplock bag to keep moisture out.  I found this works for standard, twice-up, DPS and even larger art sizes.

Mylars.jpg.14fc731a9e4145f704ca2c46d43bcc44.jpg

Cost effective too with total materials cost of around $3 for standard 11x17 to $18 for poster size 24 x 30.

Edited by GreatEscape

On 8/5/2018 at 1:50 PM, GreatEscape said:

As a former collector of vintage world maps and historical manuscripts, I focus on storage materials to balance archival protection and presentation:   4-Mil Mylars (12.5" x 18.5") from E Gerber + 1/8" thick Archival Acid-free foam board (12.25" x 18.25") from MatboardandMore.com + Archival 1" mounting corners from Lineco.  This protects all four corners of art from damage, plus the foam board is light yet rigid.  

Custom sticker on top to keep everything secure and stored ~20 pieces in a large (18" x 24") ziplock bag to keep moisture out.  I found this works for standard, twice-up, DPS and even larger art sizes.

Cost effective too with total materials cost of around $3 for standard 11x17 to $18 for poster size 24 x 30.

Is the custom sticker also of the archival kind?

45 minutes ago, timguerrero said:

Is the custom sticker also of the archival kind?

Sticker is plastic film (BOPP) so acid-free unlike paper stickers.  My stickers only touch mylar, closing the edges so it's easier for me to flip through a stack from the top....and also prevents me from accidently sticking one mylar down into another mylar.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, timguerrero said:

I meant to ask which one are those. I have 18x24 Itoyas but the dimensions are 18" width and 24" height meaning that to properly see a DPS I'd have to turn it around. Are there other Itoyas that have a 24" width and an 18" height that upon opening them you already see the DPS in all its glorious beauty without having to turn it around?

I separate my DPS (I know, the horror!) and place them next to each other in the portfolio so you can open it up to

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, GreatEscape said:

That's great, as long as you keep the art out of direct sunlight. For higher end stuff, you would need Museum glass, or its plexi equivalent.

On 8/5/2018 at 12:08 PM, timguerrero said:

There aren't any that I am aware of - a good idea as I would buy one

2 hours ago, timguerrero said:

What type of mylar sleeves? Do you also use acid free backing boards? Were are you purchasing them?

just 1117R mylar sleeves from e-gerber.  I buy them 50's.  I also have other size mylar sleeves for other size art.  I have some aside free boards but generally do not use them for the bulk of my collection.

Malvin

On 8/5/2018 at 12:50 PM, GreatEscape said:

Why did you not like the acid free backing boards from e gerber and chose the foam instead?

12 hours ago, Peter L said:

Why did you not like the acid free backing boards from e gerber and chose the foam instead?

I’ve used backing boards for years but now switched entirely to acid-free foam boards (~150 pieces).  I love the way they look and feel in hand. Foam boards are 1/8 thick (as thick as 3-4 boards but as light as 1 board, providing more rigidity for larger pieces— in fact, you can hold a twice up size foam board horizontal with two fingers where a backing board would bend (like a good NYC pizza slice).  I rarely sell so I’m happy to spend a few bucks more in foam vs boards. Also, it’s same acid-free foam board that high-end framers use and I enjoy knowing that foam + archival corners combo is framer ready.

On 8/8/2018 at 7:13 PM, MIL0S said:

I’m curious, do most people use Mylar bags, acid free boards, etc etc  or just stick their pieces in itoyas? I’m in the latter camp myself...

Most of my art is just in Itoyas.  I only recently started putting my better pieces in mylars with backing boards - I saw ironmandrd had his whole collection that way, and liked the way they presented.  That said, after mylaring/boarding the art, I put them back in an Itoya (13 x 19" portfolio).  Unfortunately, you can only put so much of the art in mylars and boards that way, as the portfolio gets really thick in a hurry. 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Most of my art is just in Itoyas.  I only recently started putting my better pieces in mylars with backing boards - I saw ironmandrd had his whole collection that way, and liked the way they presented.  That said, after mylaring/boarding the art, I put them back in an Itoya (13 x 19" portfolio).  Unfortunately, you can only put so much of the art in mylars and boards that way, as the portfolio gets really thick in a hurry. 

I have often considered a move in this direction but thought it would impact how much art can be stored in a portfolio. Does Ironmandrd have pics posted or just a description?

44 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

I have often considered a move in this direction but thought it would impact how much art can be stored in a portfolio. Does Ironmandrd have pics posted or just a description?

No pics.  You basically have to score a Golden Ticket to visit the chocolate factory in person. 

@Ironmandrd

Edited by delekkerste

10 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

No pics.  You basically have to score a Golden Ticket to visit the chocolate factory in person. 

Grrr, no golden ticket for me. I'd love to flip through that portfolio - maybe some day!