• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patrick Stewart is back as Captain Picard
3 3

311 posts in this topic

NCC-1701-D

If this wasn't the greatest episode of Star Trek ever made - it would have to be damn close.

Turns out....

Spoiler

Resistance was futile after all...

Brilliant, simply brilliant episode.

10/10

On 4/13/2023 at 7:29 PM, Beige said:

NCC-1701-D

If this wasn't the greatest episode of Star Trek ever made - it would have to be damn close.

Turns out....

Hide contents

Resistance was futile after all...

Brilliant, simply brilliant episode.

10/10

100%. Right in the feels. If you’ve been watching TNG for the past 30 years, this was the greatest episode ever done and I thank everyone involved in the show for doing it perfectly.

I particularly loved seeing Commander Shelby get a sweet promotion since TNG and I really liked the way they tied the bad guy genetics to Picard all these years later.

And the last 10 minutes? Positively unreal.

Edited by Dr. Balls

Just ... just .... just .... Wow. (sorry @Mystafo)

Very few re-visits capture the spirit and emotion of the original. 'Vox' did it in spades, and when the crew walked on that sacred carpet of the 'D', it brought back a ton of memories from all the seasons.

Best comedic line: "I hope we die quickly." (Data)

It was kind of cool to see Shelby, albeit briefly, before she was zapped. For those interested in her path before and after "The Best of Both Worlds" (the two-parter that ended season 3 [1st appearance of Locutus] and started season 4), check this link out: https://stexpanded.fandom.com/wiki/Elizabeth_Shelby

I can't help but think a remnant of Jack's humanity will save the day as he commandeers the Cube against ... the assimilated youddds. Is that a shot fired by Stewart against today's millennials?

With one more episode to go, there's a lot to wrap up! Can't wait!!!

PicardOld.png

PicardNew.png

On 4/13/2023 at 9:23 PM, Mystafo said:

I must be cursed to not enjoy anything anymore.

Oh MAN. Not being able to enjoy what the 'Vox' episode brought? I'm sorry. :foryou:

So many great tie-ups and purposeful fan service. I absolutely loved how they explained Jack's "power" and that the only people he could "take over" throughout the season were the younger generation officers who's DNA was receptive to the Borg programming. I loved how they tied the Borg problem from season 3 all the way to the current time. Data putting his hand on Picard's shoulder without any dialogue was very touching. The slow reveal of the computers coming to life before we see the bridge in it's entirety? Superbly planned out. They even gave us a full minute or so to soak up the entire bridge, which admittedly made me a little misty-eyed.

Data and Geordi at the con? Get outta here - that was awesome to see. The only thing missing was Riker putting his leg up on the support beam next to Data. Enterpise D leaving the dock? Picard giving us one last, totally natural - not forced - finger-pointing, perfectly framed and composed camera angle of "engage!"?

I've spent most of my adulthood poring over TNG episodes and constantly reading The Nitpicker's Guides - but the amount of fan service and detail in this episode is nothing short of spectacular. I am 100% a fanboy of this show, and I'm sure people can nitpick it's flaws - but I am thankful that the Starfleet portion of my brain can suspend belief while this show is on.

On 4/14/2023 at 1:51 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Oh MAN. Not being able to enjoy what the 'Vox' episode brought? I'm sorry. :foryou:

So many great tie-ups and purposeful fan service. I absolutely loved how they explained Jack's "power" and that the only people he could "take over" throughout the season were the younger generation officers who's DNA was receptive to the Borg programming. I loved how they tied the Borg problem from season 3 all the way to the current time. Data putting his hand on Picard's shoulder without any dialogue was very touching. The slow reveal of the computers coming to life before we see the bridge in it's entirety? Superbly planned out. They even gave us a full minute or so to soak up the entire bridge, which admittedly made me a little misty-eyed.

Data and Geordi at the con? Get outta here - that was awesome to see. The only thing missing was Riker putting his leg up on the support beam next to Data. Enterpise D leaving the dock? Picard giving us one last, totally natural - not forced - finger-pointing, perfectly framed and composed camera angle of "engage!"?

I've spent most of my adulthood poring over TNG episodes and constantly reading The Nitpicker's Guides - but the amount of fan service and detail in this episode is nothing short of spectacular. I am 100% a fanboy of this show, and I'm sure people can nitpick it's flaws - but I am thankful that the Starfleet portion of my brain can suspend belief while this show is on.

This is what happens when you are a cynic for too long...I can't even pretend not to be any longer :(

I genuinely though they were going somewhere original with the post Dominion war treatment of the POW changelings.  The Borg just seems like such an easy out.  It's service to the passing fans, IMHO.  We (I) needed a deep dive.

Edited by Mystafo

I have never been so emotionally touched by a set as I was when those turbolift doors opened and the lights came on.  The entire season has been an abundance of fan service.  Fan service works in moderation and when it fits into the story instead of being thrown in for the sake of being thrown in (i'm looking at you Solo).  There's been so much fan service, I don't even care.  It's been amazing in the same way that I thought all the fan service in Endgame was amazing.  It feels like a love letter to fans seeing all these familiar faces, the flashback sequences, the references to previous episodes/movies, hearing Majel Barrett's voice again, etc.  I grew up with TNG and seeing the Enterprise D destroyed in Generations was like watching Optimus Prime die in the Gen1 Transformers movie.  She's my favorite starship and I'm so glad to see the old girl back again.  To quote Riker, "She's beautiful Geordi".

On 4/14/2023 at 1:21 PM, Mystafo said:

with the post Dominion war treatment of the POW changelings.  The Borg just seems like such an easy out.

That was definitely compelling, and Captain Vadic's backstory when they got to it was really cool. I liked how her rage kept escalating to the point of controlled mania. Personally, I wish they would have given us more of her backstory early on, because in early episodes she felt like a cookie-cutter villain with an obnoxiously-powered starship. When they started exploring her history and filling out the character, I wanted to see more.

I'd agree that the Borg could be seen as an easy out, but damn if they didn't entwine it in an interesting way - at least for me.

On 4/14/2023 at 4:37 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That was definitely compelling, and Captain Vadic's backstory when they got to it was really cool. I liked how her rage kept escalating to the point of controlled mania. Personally, I wish they would have given us more of her backstory early on, because in early episodes she felt like a cookie-cutter villain with an obnoxiously-powered starship. When they started exploring her history and filling out the character, I wanted to see more.

I'd agree that the Borg could be seen as an easy out, but damn if they didn't entwine it in an interesting way - at least for me.

I would've also like to see where she picked up smoking.  I mean, where was that going on in the 25th century?  Kinda strange lol.

Glad you guys loved it as much as I did.

I hope:

Shaws is not gone (Genesis II anyone - they have it from Daystrom remember) and is the next Enterprise Captain

RE: Jack - I suspect he will not be curable - Picards son as main villain for the new ST show would be cool

The new Voyager / Enterprise hybrid they showed leaving Sol 1 Spacedock will be the new ship

Seven will be the 'Tactical' on board the new vessel - which will reprise TNG with new stories and crew (+ Hopefully Shaw and Seven)

I hope they don't blow it in the last episode - I think a lot of permanent 'deaths' will occur, and we're going to need a heap of tissues.

Great great season. Loved it.

On 4/14/2023 at 4:19 PM, Mystafo said:

I would've also like to see where she picked up smoking.  I mean, where was that going on in the 25th century?  Kinda strange lol.

lol No kidding. You would think in the future - even with addictive substances - they’d have developed a better way to ingest the chemicals. Honestly, seeing her vape would have been more topical. 

On 4/14/2023 at 5:19 PM, Beige said:

Glad you guys loved it as much as I did.

I hope:

Shaws is not gone (Genesis II anyone - they have it from Daystrom remember) and is the next Enterprise Captain

THAT would be totally cool. I was bummed to see his character sacrificed. When he dressed down Picard in the bar with his tale of Wolf 359, I was instantly sold on him. A “lower decks” perspective on such a gruesome battle was a neat detail for the show.

On 4/15/2023 at 3:13 AM, Beige said:

Watched it again.

Just as good, if not better, 2nd time about.

Watched " Best Of Both Worlds 1 + 2" as well.

Classic stuff

That's a banger of an idea! :idea:

Picard_Crew01.thumb.jpg.02977f132508e25f604b15298a9d8641.jpg

All season long, the producers of “Star Trek: Picard” have boldly pulled out all the stops to make the third and final season one for the books. To that extent, it seemed like only a matter of time until we finally got to see the Enterprise — that is, the Enterprise-D, the Galaxy-class starship that made its first appearance in 1987 with the premiere episode of “Star Trek: The Next Generation.”

Spoiler

That moment of truth finally came at the end of “Vox” — the 9th and penultimate episode of Season 3 — when the reunited bridge crew took their stations on the Enterprise-D, which turns out to be the only Federation starship capable of resisting assimilation by the powerful Borg.

Executive producer Terry Matalas went through hoops to make sure history never forgot the name Enterprise. Speaking with Variety, and sharing photos of “The Next Generation” cast on the ship, Matalas says, “Everyone tried to talk us out of doing this, because financially it’s a nightmare, and the timing was tight. To the moment we started filming, we were still gluing pieces together. But you can’t have a ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’ reunion without one of its major characters, which is the Enterprise.”

As for how it was even possible for the Enterprise-D to exist after it was virtually destroyed in 1994’s “Star Trek: Generations” (only the top saucer section was still intact after crash-landing on the planet Veridian III), it turns out Geordi La Forge took it upon himself to completely restore it for the Starfleet Museum.

Speaking of *best of*...

Series

In order of my preferences:

TNG - Best Crew + stories. A very honourable mention to 'The Inner Light' - I cried shamelessly at the end of a wonderful story. 

Voyager - close one - but Seven and The Holodoc just tipped Captain Janeway's crew into 2nd place above Kirk - once Neelix and Kez were replaced by Seven, it was a different beast. - Honorable mention to 'Macrocosm' for showing us the true Janeway. It was a hard watch at times with too much holodeck rubbish (DaVinci etc) and Kez became very tedious very quickly.

TOS - Cheesy, corny, bad sets, bad acting - but compulsory viewing back then. Major cameos (Joan Collins etc), and an very underrated social narrative that addressed Communism, Nazis, Overpopulation, Slavery and racism, in its own crazy, crazy way. Special Mention to 'Platos Stepchildren' for *that* kiss. A very , very honourable mention to 'Little Kirk' who always managed to find some trouser-escaping action despite whatever the Galaxy threw at Kirk!

Discovery - Some episodes were right up there with the best ever, but the show was continually dragged down by overplaying societal 'issues' as storylines. The image of the crew was enough. We saw the multi-culture, the openly gay characters, disfigured crew, obese crew - and didn't mind at all. To then make whole episodes about the characters sexual preferences, scars and weight was overkill. It worked as it was, without emphasis - to hit us with a hammer about it was too much. Special mention for 'The Red Angel' arc. Supreme suspenseful story.

DS9 - I tried to love it. I really did. I found it hard to like it by Season 3, and by then too much damage was done. I hated Quark, Bajorian rebels and that bloody Doctor. Sisko was wet as the ocean, Kira needed a good slap and Dax was....hot? By the time the really good stuff came about - The White / Jem'Hadar / Dominion / Defiant - I'd ceased caring. The Dominion arc was the highlight.

Enterprise - Terrible acting, poor scripts and lack of suspense had this struggling from The Get-Go.  Scott Bakula was a terrible choice as Captain, whilst it was hard to believe Dominic Keating had ever acted before. It was frequently boring - which is the worst thing you can say about a sci-fi show set in space in a world-class franchise. Special mention for 'Regeneration' -and that was only due to The Borg, and 'A Night In Sickbay' due to Linda Park and Jolene Blalock spending most of it in their undies. Yup, the show was that bad.

Strange New Worlds is not streaming in Australia currently. Picard is not finished so was not considered as a series. However....

Best Episode - Yup - Picard - 'Vox'.

Best Movie - 'First Contact'

Please add your own choices guys!

On 4/15/2023 at 10:38 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Full on fan service...and I LOVE it!

Quick question: can someone explain to me the Borg from S2 and the Borg in S3? I'm confused.

Going strictly from memory here:

The Borg in Season 2 were introduced when Q sent the Enterprise way out into the Delta(?) Quadrant, where they were introduced to Starfleet (and the species' aboard the ship). At the end of the episode, they are returned back to their area of space, but the looming issue was that the Borg now knew where they were - with foreboding dialogue regarding the Borg provided by Guinan throughout the episode.

Season 3 brought the Borg into Federation space, where the immediate threat was to Picard (who had been captured after Worf getting his arse handed to him on the bridge) and that Starfleet would be assimilated. A rescue attempt was made, where it was determined that Picard had been assimilated and lost (He IS A BORG, as Worf would say). Leading to what could arguably be the best cliffhanger for all the TNG seasons, where Riker - faced with surrender to Locutus or to fight, chose to fire on the Borg ship and that was how the show ended for the season. ("Mister Worf.........Fire.) :headbang:

As an added pre-internet bonus, there was a rumor circulating that Patrick Stewart might not return to TNG (not sure if this was just urban legend or grounded in reality) but it made the season cliffhanger so much more intense. Coupled with the fact the previous two cliffhangers were either re-cap flashbacks of the season (2) or had been completely resolved by the end of the episode (1) - this was a turning point for the show, which brought it into "totally awesome" territory.

The Borg - if I recall - really hadn't changed much since their introduction in Season 2, their concept was fleshed out a bit more, but Season 3 introduces Picard being assimilated and physically damaged by all the Borg implants, etc that would play a reoccurring theme through the show and movies - which I think was a great touch to the Picard show, as it brings another facet of how the Borg messed him up for the long-term. Which, if you look back at the performances by Patrick Stewart in the instances where he has to cope with the remnants of the Borg programming, it really shows how amazing of an actor he is - he covers intense loss, guilt, sadness (at the end of Season 4 Ep 1 when Troi leaves his Ready Room and he stares out the window and in TNG's episode 'Family' a few seasons later) rage and vengeance ('First Contact') and even in this current season where he exudes shame when Shaw dresses him down over his experience at Wolf 359 - while some people can say the Borg is easy subject matter to plug into the show, I always find it fascinating, because you're going to get a pretty interesting Patric Stewart performance when it's on that subject.

Edited by Dr. Balls