• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen AF 15 CGC 5.0 Wizard Chicago
4 4

178 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

And you've touched on something here that is very pertinent. While I doubt that the thief is going to go as far as taking the cover off, thus throwing out a potential $40,000 along with the cover, let's not be oblivious to the possibility that this book may be presented for sale out of the slab and in a modified state!

This is why I asked for more photos, all the better if raw, in pre-slab state, and if that's not available, a back cover picture.

Now rather than rip the cover off and destroy 98% of the value, he might add defects, or write a name on the cover, or date it, i.e. deface it slightly in some way to promote it being overlooked by those keeping an eye out for it, so if we're going to stand a chance of sleuthing this book out and having it find it's way back to Leroy, we're going to have to remain open to possibilities, really study the image and still take a good look at any AF 15s offered for sale as a possible match, though now altered for distraction!

Meaning, if you see an AF 15 for sale, and the name, "John Smith" is written in a childlike penmanship across the cover, still scrutinize it because it can be this book but now augmented for disguise.

This was my concern as well.  Up until recently they probably could have done that without decreasing the value of the book simply by getting it signed by Stan Lee and submitted to the other guys.  Doubt that will happen but I do worry they will try to apply some kind of alteration.  I hope greed is overwhelming and they just decide to try to sell it as is or merely cracked out. 

I'm really sorry to hear this.  Looking at your wall with the High Dollar books at the top 2 rows was this a book that someone handed them to look at and then got distracted or did the thief actually manage to scale up to pull it down?  Happened between 11am and 11:30am; was this during setup on Sunday when the books were still being unpacked from the night before and not yet up on the wall?

I do like the idea of setting up a $500 set of 2-3 cameras just in case but I think more dealers may end up moving to the scans in binders option.  Not a bad idea which is easier on the eyes and allows me to see grade, PQ, relative eye appeal and price all at once without having to bother the dealer to climb up to retrieve and replace multiple comics.

NewForce has a pretty solid secure booth as well.  2 glass cases with high dollar books acting as the counter and barrier wall with a single narrow 2' middle entrance which is blocked by a chair.  You can be let in by request but they control the number of folks that enter and can see when they leave.  They always have 2-4 employees including Rick in the booth at all times helping customers or keeping an eye on things.  For the single or 2 man booth this can help limit the access from a free-for-all to a by request/invite to enter and examine books. 

Greg Reece and others have a similar approach which maintains a barrier of long boxes and tables restricting access to the wall books but allows you to get close enough to see them.  As a buyer plopping down $1k or more in cash I prefer these booths as they make for more secure transaction areas where I can pull out a wad of cash and count it without worrying that someone could come swipe it or reach into my bag to steal money or comics.

I'll keep an eye out for it as well.

51 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

And you've touched on something here that is very pertinent. While I doubt that the thief is going to go as far as taking the cover off, thus throwing out a potential $40,000 along with the cover, let's not be oblivious to the possibility that this book may be presented for sale out of the slab and in a modified state!

This is why I asked for more photos, all the better if raw, in pre-slab state, and if that's not available, a back cover picture.

Now rather than rip the cover off and destroy 98% of the value, he might add defects, or write a name on the cover, or date it, i.e. deface it slightly in some way to promote it being overlooked by those keeping an eye out for it, so if we're going to stand a chance of sleuthing this book out and having it find it's way back to Leroy, we're going to have to remain open to possibilities, really study the image and still take a good look at any AF 15s offered for sale as a possible match, though now altered for distraction!

Meaning, if you see an AF 15 for sale, and the name, "John Smith" is written in a childlike penmanship across the cover, still scrutinize it because it can be this book but now augmented for disguise.

Great post.  This will be a difficult book to sell because of it's value and it's notoriety.  I can imagine a good number of ways to disguise this book including adding color breaking creases, writing, or even color touching existing creases, etc.

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Ive sold multiple Hulk 181 and af15 at same con. I’ve sold action 1 and superman 1 and tec 27 etc. at cons. Likelihood of selling is 0% if you don’t bring but 100% potential if you do bring :)

every book i bring (and I suspect most all dealers) i have the intention of potentially selling 

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I bought one of my AF15's at NYCC.

Interesting.  I wondered if they were simply too high priced for people at cons to buy, or that dealers make more money selling them in another avenue.  My proposed display would not be great if the book had to come off the wall.

Hopefully ihcomics gets his back and an anti theft solution is found, so dealers don't have to worry.

1 hour ago, lhcomics said:

These are pics before pressed and graded. Beautiful interior.

20180302_223532.thumb.jpg.f6d454fc8663f604d150262a7b68ecd3.jpg

20180303_093009.thumb.jpg.7f0ee703fee11a3207f58e039e13ea58.jpg

20180303_093019.thumb.jpg.79419720aef7488ffc7b39e96247cb31.jpg

20180303_093042.thumb.jpg.2c80da6188175cdd4551e4ee6c370879.jpg

20180303_093101.thumb.jpg.eb3b3843df27bbb02c074374aab311d6.jpg

20180303_093133.thumb.jpg.1bbb69618789b31cd080e3817d1ad9d8.jpg

20180303_093145.thumb.jpg.15adfc7cf9d4318bef169b8447687a6a.jpg

Great pics, Leroy, thank you for that.  Try to circulate the pics to everyone contacted in connection with this theft. Store owners, websites, police, newspapers, etc., etc.

11 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
12 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Great post.  This will be a difficult book to sell because of it's value and it's notoriety.  I can imagine a good number of ways to disguise this book including adding color breaking creases, writing, or even color touching existing creases, etc.

This book could be headed out of the country even.  Valuable old AMERICAN comic books are sought after world wide nowadays .  

And thieves do get caught 

The book does have several distinct markings that would make it recognizable.

I held the book in hand and took note of how it looked in hand.

Suffice to say, I'll keep an eye out.

This forum does a good job of keeping their eyes peeled but it might be worth posting the book on this site as well:

http://stolencomic.com/

17 hours ago, lhcomics said:

These are pics before pressed and graded. Beautiful interior.

20180302_223532.thumb.jpg.f6d454fc8663f604d150262a7b68ecd3.jpg

20180303_093009.thumb.jpg.7f0ee703fee11a3207f58e039e13ea58.jpg

Any update on what police said/if they are taking seriously?

Just now, MrBedrock said:
1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Attaboy, Roy.

:acclaim:

What I meant was that it had some very distinctive things about it that would make it easy to identify...but I'm not going to post it in the thread in case the thief is reading it.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Any update on what police said/if they are taking seriously?

18 hours ago, kav said:

:idea: coat all wall books with deadly toxin that seeps into skin.  Give antidote to each person who legitimately purchases book.

Just now, VintageComics said:
2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Attaboy, Roy.

What I meant was that it had some very distinctive things about it that would make it easy to identify...but I'm not going to post it in the thread in case the thief is reading it.

Exactly what I thought you meant. :headbang:

29 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

And the most noteworthy feature is the right edge. The book is extremely small left to right. If the CGC hadn't found the book not to be trimmed, looking at raw scans and not knowing about the CGC grading and resto detection finding, I would have immediately felt 95% sure that it was trimmed.

This has to be the least amount of artwork or one of the least amount of artwork present on the right edge that I have ever seen on an unrestored/untrimmed AF 15. Typically, even when slightly small (they're no all manufactured to the exact same size) left to right, and the spine line is positioned on the edge (the front cover not wrapping around the back, or the back cover not wrapping around the front), there is about 1/4" to 3/8ths " more art showing on the right side on average.

Check existing CGC blue label AF 15 images and you'll see what I'm referring to. With the right edge art ending where it does, I would expect to see up to 3/8ths" of back cover white wrapped around to the front, shifting the black line over considerably.

Unless the thief can photo-augment an entire edge onto this book, images, even altered in some other way, if used online to sell this will still reveal its identity due to that edge.

I'm confident that Leroy is going to get this book back. It's too obvious, the characteristics too recognizable on many level, and I think it will turn up because of this.

Edited by James J Johnson

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

And the most noteworthy feature is the right edge. The book is extremely small left to right. If the CGC hadn't found the book not to be trimmed, looking at raw scans and not knowing about the CGC grading and resto detection finding, I would have immediately felt 95% sure that it was trimmed.

This has to be the least amount of artwork or one of the least amount of artwork present on the right edge that I have ever seen on an unrestored/untrimmed AF 15. Typically, even when slightly small (they're no all manufactured to the exact same size) left to right, and the spine line is positioned on the edge (the front cover not wrapping around the back, or the back cover not wrapping around the front), there is about 1/4" to 3/8ths " more art showing on the right side on average.

Check existing CGC blue label AF 15 images and you'll see what I'm referring to. With the right edge art ending where it does, I would expect to see up to 3/8ths" of back cover white wrapped around to the front, shifting the black line over considerably.

Silver Age marvels, especially from the early 1960's were notorious for varying in size as well as having artwork showing / missing, miswraps, miscuts, etc.

There is no way of knowing whether a book was trimmed or not just by looking at artwork or comparing one book to another.