• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen AF 15 CGC 5.0 Wizard Chicago
4 4

178 posts in this topic

Don't forget that potential thief may have a team (at least two people).  I have seen many booths have at least two workers. It depends of the size of the booth and how much vulnerable your booth is.

The thieves will observe the security, surveillance system, escape routes and the booth layouts first before they execute the plans. Of course, the thieves will prepare themselves if one of them is caught. The book must be abandoned immediately. Other scenario, they may need each other as the relay team like the stolen book will pass through other thieves without being noticed or caught.

I have a feeling for the dealer who was recently distracted by one of the thieves while his book was snatched without being noticed.  The walls are the most vulnerable even it can be fell off easily.  It has nothing to do with your eyes even in ages. It is simply too many people flocking in a long day even the security system is not always helpful. It can happen so fast before your eyes will blink.

48 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Totally disagree.  

You make it sound like people can't see from a small distance away, especially young people.

How is it intimidating to see a book from 5 ft away and say,"excuse me sir, May I see that Hulk 181?"  Then magic happens the dealer will bring the book down from the wall for you and quote you a price. 

Dont fall for the 'can I take this book outside the light is better-'

19 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Hey, I think I know you from those 2004/2005 shows, where I originally met Leroy. Were these at the Navy Pier location, Sunday shows  ? Those were fun shows, except parking was tough. 

They were at the Embassy Suites, just off Michigan, but on the way to Navy Pier. I actually had $10 parking at the lot across from the hotel, but it was still a tough draw.

I lost a lot of money on those shows...

18 hours ago, blazingbob said:
18 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Though I am not disagreeing with you in the least bit, a couple comments. If I go behind the booth, I look without touching. If I do want to hold a book, I still ask for permission.Often, it is not the wall books I need to see but the better stuff in the boxes behind the booth. How is a customer supposed to see these ? 

Bob,  If a customer asks then I will let them in and they can look.  I am talking about a "Open door to my wall".  With a open configuration you have no control or how many people are back there.  With a closed configuration there is less of a chance that somebody is unattended while they are browsing.  

I have to agree with Bob. 

3 hours ago, lhcomics said:

Still not looking good at this time as far as the comic showing up. I did manage to contact a guy who had a 5+ min conversation with the suspected thief. They were just talking random comic collecting stuff. Luckily he had paid with a credit card so I searched my records and got his email. In no way do I feel the guy who made the credit card purchase had any involvement in theft. He would be able to identify the suspected thief by picture only not by complete name. Although he does seem to think during their conversation he said his name was Dave but can't be 100% sure on the name. He also said the guy looked like a 70's rocker with prominent sideburns. The detective on case is aware of this.

I have sent emails to the Wizard rep, Convention center rep and the Detective working the case on Tues requesting video of the exits right after comic was noticed missing. Wizard rep has no control of video camera and convention rep says the detective working the case would be the one to speak to. So far detective working case has not replied about the video. 

I did speak to detective one time before I requested video to fill him on comic value and how theft happened. The detective has also spoken with the guy who could identify him.

I have reported to insurance so that process has started. I requested waiting about 2 months on claim in case comic shows up. 

Thanks again to everyone for keeping an eye out. 

Leroy

I can do a suspect sketch over the phone if this seems like something you want to pursue.  with that word could spread to convention goers who were videoing to close in on him.

3 hours ago, lhcomics said:

Still not looking good at this time as far as the comic showing up. I did manage to contact a guy who had a 5+ min conversation with the suspected thief. They were just talking random comic collecting stuff. Luckily he had paid with a credit card so I searched my records and got his email. In no way do I feel the guy who made the credit card purchase had any involvement in theft. He would be able to identify the suspected thief by picture only not by complete name. Although he does seem to think during their conversation he said his name was Dave but can't be 100% sure on the name. He also said the guy looked like a 70's rocker with prominent sideburns. The detective on case is aware of this.

I have sent emails to the Wizard rep, Convention center rep and the Detective working the case on Tues requesting video of the exits right after comic was noticed missing. Wizard rep has no control of video camera and convention rep says the detective working the case would be the one to speak to. So far detective working case has not replied about the video. 

I did speak to detective one time before I requested video to fill him on comic value and how theft happened. The detective has also spoken with the guy who could identify him.

I have reported to insurance so that process has started. I requested waiting about 2 months on claim in case comic shows up. 

Thanks again to everyone for keeping an eye out. 

Leroy

:wishluck:  Pray for a miracle.

12 hours ago, kav said:

I can do a suspect sketch over the phone if this seems like something you want to pursue.  with that word could spread to convention goers who were videoing to close in on him.

though the picture might depict the suspect with an enormous turd cutter lol

just kidding kav - luv ya bud

On 8/31/2018 at 12:08 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Not sure what you are saying there.  So you agree or disagree that people should be able to go behind a dealer's booth?

confusing eh?  i get it. nobody likes ambiguity or poorly crafted misunderstood satire.  let me explain: while i prefer dealers that allow me into their booths by polite request I was agreeing that some dealers find it an unnecessary risk allowing buyers/browsers/lookeyloos/gawkers/tire-kickers/etc into the booth which I tend to limit to a quick scan before moving on due to severe eye strain.  at the same time I was intending on offering a flippant self-depricating solution for dealers encountering sight-fatigued buyers like me who would like to browse the dealers wall while remaining at a safe distance (i.e. the binoculars solution).

then I decided to convert that throw-away solution into one that might actually be more mutually accommodating (and sanitary- can you imagine sharing binoculars with hundred of other guests-keep the alcohol wipes handy) by promoting the hi-res scan binder option with a request card. 

clear as mud?

On 8/27/2018 at 8:28 PM, kav said:

:idea: coat all wall books with deadly toxin that seeps into skin.  Give antidote to each person who legitimately purchases book.

:bump:

On 8/17/2022 at 11:22 PM, kav said:

:bump:

Did any more info surface about this situation or of what happened to the book..