• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen AF 15 CGC 5.0 Wizard Chicago
4 4

178 posts in this topic

The perp probably has a ton of priors, and I doubt this is his/her first rodeo.  It takes some serious kahunas to walk up and commit grand larceny in broad daylight like that at one of the largest comic book shows in the country.  Perhaps officers can look at priors, active probation directories and maybe they even have other reports of goods stolen at nearby comic and big box shops in the Chicago area.

Were there any overhead surveillance cameras in place at the convention center?

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

Theft, such as in this case, which by the way has become more rampant over the years, is why I've never set up at shows.  Sure you take all the valuable books down at night, leave and cover the cheaper long boxes but do you trust the yellow shirt security detail not to steal your stuff (if you can even call them that)?  What happens when you take the more valuable books back to your hotel?  You post a sign for room service not to come in but usually they do anyways, and it doesn't matter the star rating of the hotel.  I've had a $3000 company laptop jacked in a $500 a night Four Seasons.  Theft can occur at any hotel and at any time. 

With all the stuff going on with the Patriot Act you can't set up at many comic book shows or flea markets anymore without providing them a tax ID so dodging online sales to sell in person for cash isn't as lucrative as it used to be.  If I had high dollar inventory, I'd use the shows to advertise and bring on new consignments.  Maybe if booth prices were cheap enough, I'd bring some books valued at less than $20 and push those, but there is no way in Hell I'd be bringing five and six-figure books to a comic book show.  Your heavy hitters tend to work a lot, rarely get out and would just assume buy what they want online.

7 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

There were cameras but another vendors display obscured Leroy’s booth. So no video 

Wonder if that was known? Doesn’t help  we were get his book back but just felt the need to comment and keep thr thread alive   Glass cases and an enclosed back wall  I guess doesn’t work for suppliers with a lot of merchandise that’s wall suitable 

2 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

On a slightly humorous note the police officer said Jabba the Hut was blocking the convention camera pointed in my direction.

20180826_124912.thumb.jpg.c441350e84b5f44b666706b7a372d72f.jpg

It's an inside job by the Hut Mafia !!

6 hours ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Dealers should consider putting up some hidden cameras, if some don’t already. Hopefully this is recovered soon. Good that you recognized it quickly. 

Better to have very visible cameras, and a few of them, which will serve to deter things being taken in the first place if it's obvious that there's total surveillance of the entire area of merchandise.

Dealers have to rely on themselves. You need your own clip on cameras. Positioned on the top of the display boards, aimed fore and aft, left and right, so anybody approaching the table from any direction will have their face recorded.. You can buy an 8 channel recorder with 8 wireless, battery operated cameras, so there's no wires to trip over or run, just plug the recorder into an outlet and the whole setup is ready to position and go. This could be bought for well under $500 and more in the $300 area when on sale. Sirius, Lorex, and more make and sell these and difference between a $2000 setup and a $500 setup will only be apparent at night, from 200 feet away.

For shows or stores, they're perfect.

Edited by James J Johnson

Leroy, I'm in shock that this happened. I'm speechless. While I'm sure there are some lessons to be learned here, I don't think it helps to bring them to your attention now.  I just hope you have success in getting the book returned to you. 

Wow, another big key book stolen again in a major show. Hope you get it back intact. With the label number in the case would help be recognized by someone. If the low scum thief is stupid enough to sell it as is. The label is too well known already in photos everywhere now. We are on watch for it.

I hate to say, but I suspect there is likely a high chance it would be cracked open, ditch the label and try sell as raw copy. Who know? Just saying ... I hope the ending is a happy one with the book return back to the rightful owner. :wishluck: