• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon 2006

735 posts in this topic

27_laughing.gif, I'm not, as I don't even have a sketch from him smile.gif

it's just that, at first, I was as shocked as everyone else when I heard he charged $100, so I thought "what a ripoff" since I can get free sketches from a lot of other artists at cons, then I saw they were not regular head sketches.

I still haven't figured out myself if i'll ask him for one at WW Boston or not, since for $100 I can buy other stuff... I guess I'll see when I'm there smile.gif

Do the $100 full body sketches include backgrounds and what not? Like what's an example of something he did for $100. And how do commissions, or sketches work. How much does a sketch cost? How long does it take? I've never been to a convention before and I have no original art. Also, what's pin-ups and how do you get those done? Can you at a comic con? >

The link I posted had a couple of his examples.

Commissions/Sketches work differently based on the artist and such, but basically, here's the thing.

A lot of artists will do free head sketches if you go to their tables, get some stuff signed, and ask them to do one for you.

Some artists will be willing to do more complex sketches, usually full body sketches, some with backgrounds (rarely though), but usually just the body. For these, they can charge, many times something like $15 or $20 at the most... For these, they usually take like 10-15 minutes tops, depending on the artist.

Finally, some artists will dedicate more time, and charge more for pinups or bigger sketches, like for example Ethan Van Sciver. They will charge more, like in this case, $100, but they'll spend 1 hour, sometimes more, on them, and they can draw backgrounds and finish the drawings a little bit more.

Those are the kind of things you can expect at a con. Once again, a lot of what you can get will depend on the artist, his schedule, the people in line to talk to him, etc etc... And of course, some artists will be more patient and willing than others, newcomers and lesser known artists specially tend to be much more affordable.

I haven't confirmed this with him, but I assume Ethan will be doing commissions at the show for whatever he feels is a fair Canadian dollar equivalent to what he usually charges at shows.

I've seen the full body ones he does and they are well worth it. I got to him too late in Orlando last February, but I ended up buying a page from GL: Rebirth from him for US$150.

I literally just got in from my Chicago trip and I've got some great new guests lined up that we will be announcing in the near future.

Actually, one of the ones who confirmed with us has the initials JL... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also, in today's METRO newspaper (published in the Toronto area) there was a big write up on Stan Lee and next year's convention. I haven't seen it yet but I'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.

FREAKING JIM LEE, YES.

Nope

Joseph Linser of Cry for Dawn

...Then why would he taunt me, WHY

How do you know, from the pic?

Yup

Cry for Dawn is a LINSNER Character

edited so that I dotn get get teased for bad spelling

There will be a dramatic change in the appearance of the show next year, we'll be in a proper convention hall. It reminds me of the one they use for Wizard World Philly, just not as wide since they use three or four halls and we're using one.

Congratulations Kevin. It's a great convention. I hope you have the hall now to match it.