• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,070 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2022 at 3:50 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

I’m trying to complete the four issue miniseries of Bram Stoker’s Dracula in CGC 9.8 grade. The only way this will possible currently is to search out raw copies myself to submit for pressing and cleaning. I picked up a lot of seven copies of issue #4 on the cheap off eBay and Lordy were they awful! :whatthe:

381F93A3-701A-4FFA-839C-F25AF149DCAB.thumb.jpeg.2399f3137a09a16ff7477fb7df0ffc7b.jpeg

These books have been sealed for 30 years, upon opening they appeared worse than the decrepit earth Dracula himself was buried in! :violin:

9D8DCCB0-48D0-4514-82F0-EAACA4F43374.thumb.jpeg.4622b51be64de79bd694ffca7e5c2dd4.jpeg

I need issues 2-4 along with the second printing of issue #1 for my registry set. I sent in issue #2 last September to CCS, hopefully I’ll know its fate in the next few months. As of now there is only one Universal 9.8 of issue #2 in the census and that is a very recent addition! Issue #3 only has two Universal 9.8s, the lone signature series 9.8 sold on eBay last year for over $300, it was signed by Roy Thomas and Mike Mignola. Issue #4 only has one 9.8 and Issue #1 second printing only has a universal 9.4. I’ve got my work cutout for me. The number one place holder for this registry set has #s 3 and 4 in 9.8 and they most likely will not be going anywhere anytime soon, it’s a great set to look at!

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetTypeDetail.aspx?SetTypeID=3547

The hunt continues! I have a lot of seven issues of #3 on the way from a different eBay seller, we’ll see how those turn out. :wishluck:

Man, I am sorry these didn't turn out better, but this is a PERFECT illustration of how we just never know how books are holding up in those sealed polybags. So many sellers sell them as "Mint" or "Near Mint", but until you crack the seal, you really have no idea what you're buying. 

This is a terrific set of books and I hope you find the minty fresh copy of your dreams very soon! 

On 6/6/2022 at 7:41 AM, F For Fake said:

Man, I am sorry these didn't turn out better, but this is a PERFECT illustration of how we just never know how books are holding up in those sealed polybags. So many sellers sell them as "Mint" or "Near Mint", but until you crack the seal, you really have no idea what you're buying. 

This is a terrific set of books and I hope you find the minty fresh copy of your dreams very soon! 

I appreciate that, all but two of these books looked like they sustained water damage and the sealed bags could not protect them. I had low expectations and did not pay that much, so this was not a terrible experience, I was able to laugh at it.

You are 100% correct about sellers advertising these in mint condition, and yes, it’s hit or miss opening up these sealed ploybaged examples, especially after 30 years. I’ll be curious to see some of these books after 40 years.