• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Fall Signature Auction
5 5

298 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Are you saying the winners of these  books didn’t complete the sale and thus are offered again or that the winner paid and feels that the market has moved 10-20% already in the last 6 months so that they can break even selling now?? 

So confused lol

Rick, I have no idea what the back story is.  I was just struck by the surprisingly high number of books in this auction that were bought just a short time ago, almost all at very strong prices, and wanted to flag that to folks here.  There's a bunch of books that sold on Heritage in the November 2017 auction and more recent auctions. 

I have to think that most of these books will not make money for the consignor, particularly after Heritage's cut (even if reduced).  

27 minutes ago, tth2 said:
2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Are you saying the winners of these  books didn’t complete the sale and thus are offered again or that the winner paid and feels that the market has moved 10-20% already in the last 6 months so that they can break even selling now?? 

So confused lol

Rick, I have no idea what the back story is.  I was just struck by the surprisingly high number of books in this auction that were bought just a short time ago, almost all at very strong prices, and wanted to flag that to folks here.  There's a bunch of books that sold on Heritage in the November 2017 auction and more recent auctions. 

I have to think that most of these books will not make money for the consignor, particularly after Heritage's cut (even if reduced). 

As someone who has a book up for sale in this auction that "sold" some months ago, I can say that bidders defaulting happens.  Maybe more frequently these days than it used to. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

As someone who has a book up for sale in this auction that "sold" some months ago, I can say that bidders defaulting happens.  Maybe more frequently these days than it used to. 

IIRC that was due not to a default but a beef with HA over inaccurate census info?  In any case that condition, unbelievably, persists.  If census data is important to you, double check it.

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:
3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

IIRC that was due not to a default but a beef with HA over inaccurate census info?  In any case that condition, unbelievably, persists.  If census data is important to you, double check it.

That was a different book.  Unfortunately, I've experienced multiple non-sales across venues lately.

This one is a fairly expensive book and the winner just didn't pay.  I was told that as a consequence, they closed his account.  The underbidder passed on buying it, so HA listed it again in this auction. 

You are right that HA's census info is iffy.  Sometimes they are selling a slabbed book with a census count that shows zero graded copies! I've been told they use some sort of automated process to populate the census grid.  They're usually pretty good about correcting errors if you point them out. 

55 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Quality control error?

Gotta be.  Either it was supposed to be in a green slab or the label note was added in error.  I guess if someone is willing to spring for the grader's notes, we could find out. 

The Ha Ha likely QC error made me wonder what others think on some questions - Does HA or any auction house for that matter have any responsibility for noting a possible error and/or letting the consignor know it may be an error?  Would it harm their reputation for not doing so?  I assume a good auction house would inspect lots for counterfeits and other issues and noting those.

Not intending to say HA should or shouldn't.  To be honest, I am not sure how I feel.  Thoughts if any?

Edited by telerites

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

The Ha Ha likely QC error made me wonder what others think on some questions - Does HA or any auction house for that matter have any responsibility for noting a possible error and/or letting the consignor know it may be an error?  Would it harm their reputation for not doing so?  I assume a good auction house would inspect lots for counterfeits and other issues and noting those.

Not intending to say HA should or shouldn't.  To be honest, I am not sure how I feel.  Thoughts if any?

My impression is that they rely on consignors to ensure labels and so on are accurate.  They will correct descriptions and even pull books if you point out errors to them.  This might be one worth inquiring about.

A couple of Signature auctions ago, I noticed that a scarce Donald Duck giveaway had been slabbed backwards -- the front of the slab was actually the back of the giveaway.  They had the book reslabbed and reposted the listing (although it was too late to correct the catalog).  I ended up winning the book.  Maybe I shouldn't have pointed out the problem. hm

Well, I just blew $10 for the cause.

Here are the label notes in their entirety:

light tanning interior cover
very small bindary chip out left bottom of spine

No mention of a detached centerfold, so maybe the label note is wrong.  I'll drop HA a line and see what they say.

1 minute ago, szavisca said:
4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, I just blew $10 for the cause.

Here are the label notes in their entirety:

light tanning interior cover
very small bindary chip out left bottom of spine

No mention of a detached centerfold, so maybe the label note is wrong.  I'll drop HA a line and see what they say.

But... do they always double document in graders notes things listed on label notes?

I believe that they do, although I can't say with certainty.

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

They probably do but I wouldn't touch this book until I see it reholdered.  And if I was consigning it and knew it to be a label error I’d want it fixed... and if the person consigning knew the cf was detached they wouldn’t want it fixed...

I would but then a GLOD would realize a lower sale price especially if an uneducated buyer or one who buys the label not the book went after it.  CGC would fix it at no cost shipping included I believe if it is a QC error which it has to be, imo.

11 minutes ago, szavisca said:

To clarify... I meant if I was consigning it, and I knew the cf was not detached, I’d want it fixed... as in blue label that doesn’t say “cf detached.”

In other words I don’t trust the motives of the seller on this one.

I would want it fixed regardless of whether or not I was selling but I would most likely ask for blue label and take the lower grade for the it on detached CF.  I still wish they would note both grades on the label and put a blue on  it with that grade being the primary similar to double covers.  

Edited by telerites