• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Fall Signature Auction
5 5

298 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, 143ksk said:
11 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Been there for awhile, actually. :whistle:

ca20c6a2-15eb-4341-9c8e-f5b4e3c5491c_zpswfzmstnn.JPG

I remember subbing that book for grading. It was one of two identical copies I bought at a Chicago show in the ‘80s.

Do you remember the grade for the other copy or is it still raw?

On 11/15/2018 at 2:41 PM, lou_fine said:

You must mean like this Police Comics #1 which managed to fetched $9K or more than triple condition guide price:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC FN- 5.5 White pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC FN- 5.5 White pages....

Seems to be substantially higher than where it has been selling for in the recent past.  But then again, this copy here seems to present much better than its assigned CGC 5.5 grade from what I can see on the front cover.  Unless they are whacking it for the pronounced and heavy dust shadow on the back cover which is supposedly the kind of defect which they did not used to grade as harsh for in the past before.  (shrug)

This book, when available (which has been rare), has sold very strong privately.  I had it pegged at 11K but thought 9K was a solid result and I'm happy to see that the book is finally getting its due with this public sale.

Edited by dem1138

3 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Anyone else surprised at the seemingly low hammers on the high grade Marvel Mystery Comics?

There's always debate about the best strategy for selling a group of books, but what were there, 25 or something MMCs?  Seems like a lot to be absorbed in one auction.

And I know people say it doesn't matter, but having the auction start in the middle of the day eastern time doesn't seem like a recipe for success.  I was only able to dip in briefly a couple of times.

12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

There's always debate about the best strategy for selling a group of books, but what were there, 25 or something MMCs?  Seems like a lot to be absorbed in one auction.

And I know people say it doesn't matter, but having the auction start in the middle of the day eastern time doesn't seem like a recipe for success.  I was only able to dip in briefly a couple of times.

That was my problem.  Had a couple of books I was considering, but it’s hard to sneak out of the exam room and check out the auction. Might see if there is something in Saturday’s session that catches my eye.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:
1 hour ago, szavisca said:

Anyone else surprised at the seemingly low hammers on the high grade Marvel Mystery Comics?

Well, you better give Fishler a call then and tell him this is definitely not the best way for him to dispose of his near complete Church run of Planet Comics which he has in his upcoming CC Auction in a few weeks from now.  doh!  lol

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, you better give Fishler a call then and tell him this is definitely not the best way for him to dispose of his near complete Church run of Planet Comics which he has in his upcoming CC Auction in a few weeks from now.  doh!  lol

Thanks.  I didn’t know.  I just dropped the winning bid on one! Well, MAYBE the winning bid.  Ok, it’s probably not going to win without a little update from time to time.

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

36 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I won something off Hakes :banana:

still need BatBoat, bat mobile, and Penguin. 

B4B7D2AF-7D68-4C25-A553-67F4B9E35F82.jpeg

Wow, major congrats on that! Super cool item! They always manage to score some killer pop culture items to auction. 

28 minutes ago, sagii said:

Wow, major congrats on that! Super cool item! They always manage to score some killer pop culture items to auction. 

For Aurora models they seem to constantly get in ones still sealed and prices are consistently reasonable (not cheap). 

17 hours ago, szavisca said:

I didn't think they were particularly low. Most of them were not the highest graded, just high grade. The spectacular 13 went for a ton. The others were all fair with some strong and some weak. I bid on six and was outbid by the same phone bidder on each. I imagine if someone was willing to punish bid the phone guy then the price results may have been higher, but the final placement results would not have changed.

3 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I think I’ve just become too used to seeing the obscure low priced books  go 10 times+ guide.

I think this phenomena is something we are all becoming too complacent with. We should be very careful not to let the large prices some folks are willing to pay on esoteric books sway us into justifying a heavy expenditure on an otherwise insignificant issue. It is interesting to see the varying viewpoints on this particular auction. I felt the prices were very strong, even on those books that were relisted from sales only a few months ago.