• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought my first Golden Age Book ..... it may be a gateway book :)

22 posts in this topic

You’re in trouble now !!!   Tec 38 was my first foray into the GA ten years ago and I haven’t even sniffed at a Silver Age since then.....   

i started with Bats, moved on to Action Supes, And then Cap as well :)))))

Edited by Chicago Boy

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

I finally bought my first Golden Age book - I wanted it to be something special and either a Batman or Superman book :) And since I will never own the first appearance I decided I would target the first detailed origin of Batman :) Been looking for a low grade copy that presents well for quite some time - so I was pumped to add this book to my collection:

image.png.b240ec0b14420f4bffeda990fd743f5d.png

However I feel like it may be a gateway book - as I already have plans to add a Batman 16 and 20 as well as Superman 53, 61 and maybe some Tecs and Actions - not to mention some Timely Captain America Schomburg war covers ........ blargh I knew I shouldn't have dipped my toe in this market.

Sharp looking 2.0. 

1 hour ago, nearmint said:

Congrats, and that is SO a gateway book.

Hahahahaha I know - at a minimum it screams out for a Superman 53 to be added so I have a matching Superman Origin book (although obviously not the same as the 1st detailed origin) :)

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Sharp looking 2.0. 

Thanks - it has already become one of my three favourite books in my collection (the other two being my X-Men 1 and Showcase 22)

15 hours ago, Point Five said:

What do you mean? Of course it can end with just one...

[opens closet, looks in]

Oh.  :eek:

Mr. Mcgee collected GA ………… that's why he always said, "Don't open that door, Don't open that door !" ….. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

I have already decided my next Golden Age book will be a Superman 53 (to complete an origin set :) )  and then I would really like a Schomburg Cap War cover - I am leaning towards Captain America Comics 47 (although would love a 37 as well)

Edited by Chillax23

46 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

I have already decided my next Golden Age book will be a Superman 53 (to complete an origin set :) )  and then I would really like a Schomburg Cap War cover - I am leaning towards Captain America Comics 47 (although would love a 37 as well)

DC Bookends ! 

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

Uh huh...and then some Fox GGAs, Fiction House GGAs,Baker GGAs, Sci-fi covers, War covers, Crime books, and maybe even a few Archie's...Yep, we see where this is going...:baiting:

2 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Uh huh...and then some Fox GGAs, Fiction House GGAs,Baker GGAs, Sci-fi covers, War covers, Crime books, and maybe even a few Archie's...Yep, we see where this is going...:baiting:

Nah - I will stick to golden age DC (dream obtainable book being an Action 23 and More Fun 101) and Timely Cap stuff .......... but I do like the looks of some Planets (it begins .......)

26 minutes ago, fishbone said:

You are DONE....DONE I say. Say hello to so many awesome books to come, and goodbye to A LOT of $$   :whee:

Problem is I love Silver Age books too much (just picked up an Avengers 4 and Superboy 68) - and need to add a Daredevil 1, Avengers 1, Brave and Bold 28, Action Comics 242, Adventure Comics 247 and the list goes on - point being too many books, too little cash hahahahahahaha

But I do love the scarcity and the hunting required for Golden Age books especially versus Marvel Silver Age (where all you need is the $$$ - although that is also why I love collecting early DC Silver Age because they are tougher to track down)