• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,637 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2021 at 9:03 PM, the blob said:

Criminey, it is a dollar box, do you guys only buy instant flips? Don't you guys buy books with potential too?   (Not directed to the OP, who has his instant flips and potentials) but yikes, I would have been lambasted for my last 50 cent bin dive because 150 out of 180 were not clear instant flips

I try and split the hair and go for mostly things I could immediately flip for 2x but that I think have long term potential which I don't think is a hard mark to hit in a dollar or 50 cent bin. And any high grade ASM issue must be rescued from dollar and .50 cent bins across the country, IMO. Plenty of Spider-Man that belongs in the dollar bins but never the A series.

As far as dollar bin spec I try to stick to heroes that are in at least consistent demand so I can at least move on from the books eventually. With some of the indies demand can really dry up totally once the series concludes and nothing is done with it for years. Even if I have to sell Amazing Spider-Man books at cost I can at least always sell them. Same with Batman. I am way pickier with indies and other Big 2 characters with less consistent demand.

1 hour ago, BoogieWoogie said:

I try and split the hair and go for mostly things I could immediately flip for 2x but that I think have long term potential which I don't think is a hard mark to hit in a dollar or 50 cent bin. And any high grade ASM issue must be rescued from dollar and .50 cent bins across the country, IMO. Plenty of Spider-Man that belongs in the dollar bins but never the A series.

As far as dollar bin spec I try to stick to heroes that are in at least consistent demand so I can at least move on from the books eventually. With some of the indies demand can really dry up totally once the series concludes and nothing is done with it for years. Even if I have to sell Amazing Spider-Man books at cost I can at least always sell them. Same with Batman. I am way pickier with indies and other Big 2 characters with less consistent demand.

I probably cast too broad a net. I am not looking up books while I got through as I don't want the seller to think they messed up and start looking stuff up. And I also buy stuff that seems interesting. I figure push comes to shove it can probably get my $1 back and maybe more even with the misses. I also tend to buy ASM when I see them, but can't do all the big two batman books. Too many usually. I hit a place with a ton of books the other day, but I just don't know all the oddball moderns that might be $10+ books. I picked a few winners and I think the best 10 out of the 40 25 cent books and 54 dollar books I bought yesterday pay for it all.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

I probably cast too broad a net. I am not looking up books while I got through as I don't want the seller to think they messed up and start looking stuff up. And I also buy stuff that seems interesting. I figure push comes to shove it can probably get my $1 back and maybe more even with the misses. I also tend to buy ASM when I see them, but can't do all the big two batman books. Too many usually. I hit a place with a ton of books the other day, but I just don't know all the oddball moderns that might be $10+ books. I picked a few winners and I think the best 10 out of the 40 25 cent books and 54 dollar books I bought yesterday pay for it all.

I consider Batman the A-series, which is a little weird I think but that's what the market seems to dictate. It feels wrong to me but c'est la vie. And you can always get $2/issue for NM Batman V1 issues. Usually can with Detective Comics too but it sits for much longer in my experience. Gotta really be a stickler for the grade if you want the books to be highly liquid, even for Batman and ASM which I think are the two most consistently in demand titles of the last couple decades. At least in terms of back issues. And I should further clarify that while I do like some of Vol 2 and 3 for each I'm mostly talking about ASM V1 and Batman V1. But I do get picky with Batman V1 if they really have a lot of it in there. I know all of the minor keys in the 300-500ish range.

Part of the reason why I stick to mostly Spider-Man/Batman and the Big 2 is because those are the key issues I have largely memorized. I also don't want to sit there with my phone out so the shop owner gets the idea that they need to look through their dollar bins and reprice everything. Don't want to kill a good honeypot. There are a few characters I consistently spec on - mostly all of the Spiderverse characters - but other than that I'm grabbing ASMs, Batman V1, and stuff that already popped. Inventory management is a huge challenge for comic shops and lots of owners set and forget when it comes to their dollar bins. They'll add new stuff as they get depleted but none of the shops near me seem to ever sort through theirs and pick out the gems. Would take too long. 

my old shop once had like 30 spawn 2s in the dollar box. I bought #1s, #9, and issues over 75 or so, but decided these overprinted books could never be worth anything and left them alone. genius!

7 hours ago, the blob said:

my old shop once had like 30 spawn 2s in the dollar box. I bought #1s, #9, and issues over 75 or so, but decided these overprinted books could never be worth anything and left them alone. genius!

Spawn 2 is still basically worthless....no?

7 hours ago, the blob said:

I bought 50+ NM copies of Spawn 2 for $2.50 a pop or so I think a few years ago when the Spawn store went out of business. I figured
I couldn't go wrong at the time. I've slabbed a few sold dozens and still probably have a good 20 raw copies. I should have bought more
I think.

13 hours ago, the blob said:

I guess the Usaji special #1 paid for the day. The Black Cross can be hit or miss,. Did not know the Echo or Gore Shriek until now.

I don’t find Gore Shriek often, but they always sell well online, even for mid grade copies.

Edited by Brock

Ahhg, my former dollar book honey hole that maybe had 2 long boxes of $5 and up books vs. 20 longies of cheapies has now converted more than half of the former dollar boxes into $5 books. Blech! Found a few decent books, but I usually walk out with 100 or so, today it was only 16 dollar boxers, a $10 book, and 6 $5 books. It isn't that the prices were bad per se, just not enough meet on the bone.