• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,637 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2023 at 10:27 PM, bellrules said:

Gotta love dollar bin Dave Stevens and early Blossom appearances 

IMG_0969.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

IMG_0827.jpeg

Nice finds. A couple years ago, I found nearly an entire run of Cheryl’s appearances - including Betty and Veronica 320, her first appearance - at a shop for a dollar each. I couldn’t hardly get the cash out of my wallet fast enough. All of those early CB appearances are tough to find and usually expensive when they do pop up.

I tried to find stuff. Other than a black panther #3 2nd print and a brzrkr #1 that had a tear, absolutely nothing. It was buy one get one free but even at $3.99 I passed. Just thought I'd check in, been a slow end of year.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/25/2023 at 3:26 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I tried to find stuff. Other than a black panther #3 2nd print and a brzrkr #1 that had a tear, absolutely nothing. It was buy one get one free but even at $3.99 I passed. Just thought I'd check in, been a slow end of year.

One of those that you pray the Father in Jesus name in thanksgiving BECAUSE someone thought of you, but you're imperfect and don't want to wind up with your foot in your mouth. :roflmao:

Unproductive but peaceful day, get home have dinner and see on Facebook that one of the places I visited this morning got new stuff, AND to THEN ask yourself if you're going back by?

I went back by and round the corner towards the comics already past the register and the owner says, "sir?" 

I turned back around the corner hoping he's talking about me, as we've hashed over comics before and giving him my number and etc.

Sure enough out from behind the counter comes a stack of comics! I make pleasantries saying I SAW the Facebook post and yadda yadda. I'm looking through praying I find something since this is an opportunity, and I'd like to pay respect by buying something. I pick this Batman Beyond and go to the counter for ring up. His immediate response is, "I shouldn't have shown you!?" And I'm thinking what fresh hell is this lol doh! but he's semi joking cause I didn't also shop around the store. I didn't think it was the time to say I was already in this morning, and there was a post on social, so I'll take a gander anyway stating," this was from behind the counter just in, and I didn't want to run off in the store with it :cheers: but I'll go look if you hold it!"

He says sure so I go look coming back mere minutes later with nothing, but I ask him about the mad magazines he got in, with the subscription cover on them asking, "do they come off, and this Batman is all I want thank you"

By this time he's busy doing something else lol and answers me about the mad, then I pay and go.

I paid and left. Remember I wanted to be fruitful to him for singling me out, but I'm imperfect, not that I see much else I could do in sincerity (because I'm not a manipulative person) but Lord willing as I put this as a back cover picture in the Batman Beyond registry that somehow I find favor!

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for listening from a fellow comic nerd! 

IMG_20231125_165926369~2.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/25/2023 at 4:24 PM, OtherEric said:

Found at half price books today.  It's no longer crazy hard to find like it was back in the day, but I had to grab it for old times sake... I remember when it was hard to find since it hadn't been reprinted.

Cerebus 051.jpg

True story: I bought a VF/NM collection of Cerebus #8-#300 two weeks ago for $50.

On 11/25/2023 at 6:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

One of those that you pray the Father in Jesus name in thanksgiving BECAUSE someone thought of you, but you're imperfect and don't want to wind up with your foot in your mouth. :roflmao:

Unproductive but peaceful day, get home have dinner and see on Facebook that one of the places I visited this morning got new stuff, AND to THEN ask yourself if you're going back by?

I went back by and round the corner towards the comics already past the register and the owner says, "sir?" 

I turned back around the corner hoping he's talking about me, as we've hashed over comics before and giving him my number and etc.

Sure enough out from behind the counter comes a stack of comics! I make pleasantries saying I SAW the Facebook post and yadda yadda. I'm looking through praying I find something since this is an opportunity, and I'd like to pay respect by buying something. I pick this Batman Beyond and go to the counter for ring up. His immediate response is, "I shouldn't have shown you!?" And I'm thinking what fresh hell is this lol doh! but he's semi joking cause I didn't also shop around the store. I didn't think it was the time to say I was already in this morning, and there was a post on social, so I'll take a gander anyway stating," this was from behind the counter just in, and I didn't want to run off in the store with it :cheers: but I'll go look if you hold it!"

He says sure so I go look coming back mere minutes later with nothing, but I ask him about the mad magazines he got in, with the subscription cover on them asking, "do they come off, and this Batman is all I want thank you"

By this time he's busy doing something else lol and answers me about the mad, then I pay and go.

I paid and left. Remember I wanted to be fruitful to him for singling me out, but I'm imperfect, not that I see much else I could do in sincerity (because I'm not a manipulative person) but Lord willing as I put this as a back cover picture in the Batman Beyond registry that somehow I find favor!

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for listening from a fellow comic nerd! 

Dude, I just gotta say that when you have fun, I think we all have fun. Some people's excitement is infectious. :whee:

On 11/25/2023 at 6:53 PM, Michael Browning said:

True story: I bought a VF/NM collection of Cerebus #8-#300 two weeks ago for $50.

I'm not surprised Cerebus has all but disappeared in current collectors mind. I sell the phone books 
still pretty easily, but I pay nothing for them. 

On 11/26/2023 at 4:55 PM, fastballspecial said:

I'm not surprised Cerebus has all but disappeared in current collectors mind. I sell the phone books 
still pretty easily, but I pay nothing for them. 

The owner wanted $1600 for them. A dealer bought his whole collection of comics and got them with it. The dealer wanted $1200 for the Cerebus. I offered $300 and he turned me down. After four months of not selling a single issue, he sold them to me for $50. 🤷🏼‍♂️

On 11/26/2023 at 11:05 PM, Michael Browning said:

The owner wanted $1600 for them. A dealer bought his whole collection of comics and got them with it. The dealer wanted $1200 for the Cerebus. I offered $300 and he turned me down. After four months of not selling a single issue, he sold them to me for $50. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sounds about right. Unlike what some members on this forum think, Cerebus is not akin to TMNT.  The latter are known to most of general population, the former ain't even known to many Comic Collectors born after 1984. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/26/2023 at 11:31 PM, MAR1979 said:

Sounds about right. Unlike what some members on this forum think, Cerebus is not akin to TMNT.  The latter are known to most of general population, the former ain't even known to many Comic Collectors born after 1984. 

I warned him that he would lose money on the Cerebus. He made a profit on the whole collection that the Cerebus came in, but the Cerebus were just sitting there for months. A couple weeks ago, I walk into his shop and saw he had $100 written on the box and he asked if I still wanted them. I said I did, but not even at $100 because they are almost unsellable, so he came down to my price. I looked them up and even mycomicshop doesn’t buy that many of them and those they do buy, they only pay pennies for those very few issues.

On 11/26/2023 at 11:04 PM, Michael Browning said:

I warned him that he would lose money on the Cerebus. He made a profit on the whole collection that the Cerebus came in, but the Cerebus were just sitting there for months. A couple weeks ago, I walk into his shop and saw he had $100 written on the box and he asked if I still wanted them. I said I did, but not even at $100 because they are almost unsellable, so he came down to my price. I looked them up and even mycomicshop doesn’t buy that many of them and those they do buy, they only pay pennies for those very few issues.

I dont buy any either even the Wolverine issues I will only buy for nothing. I do however buy the phone books as I have probably sold 20 of them in the last couple of years that are in good shape.

On 11/27/2023 at 10:08 AM, fastballspecial said:

I dont buy any either even the Wolverine issues I will only buy for nothing. I do however buy the phone books as I have probably sold 20 of them in the last couple of years that are in good shape.

Man, I can remember when those Wolveroach issues fetched a pretty penny and were highly sought after. I have several of the phone books that I've gotten for cheap that I need to put up for sale. They seem to be harder to find in the wild these days when it used to be that every comic shop had at least the first three books in stock at all times.

On 11/27/2023 at 9:31 AM, Michael Browning said:

Man, I can remember when those Wolveroach issues fetched a pretty penny and were highly sought after. I have several of the phone books that I've gotten for cheap that I need to put up for sale. They seem to be harder to find in the wild these days when it used to be that every comic shop had at least the first three books in stock at all times.

Well they all got read and torn up. I never see NM copies usually just beat to hell readers. 

On 11/27/2023 at 10:31 AM, Michael Browning said:

I think he got cancelled over some stuff too, outside of #1 and maybe the first 20-25 issues were these really ever more than dollar box books? I know the wolveroach ones sold, but I thought they were more like $5-10 and I see #54 just sold for $15. i see a low grade #2 just sold for $78. given his controversies it looks like there won't be a mainstream cartoon and it costs too much to make something for tubi