• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,637 posts in this topic

On 12/26/2023 at 10:28 PM, BuraddoRun said:

Sometimes, you just get lucky. Grab bags from comic book shops almost assuredly have nothing of value inside, unless they've been sitting for years and the owner forgot what's in them. But grab bags from Half Price Books are often packed by people with no knowledge of the books. Some are terrible, but some are great. I've gotten big hits before. Here's one I got last week. I bought a pack that looked like it was all Hulk comics (turned out to be so). One of the outside facing books was a modern annual, no big value. The other was Hulk/Pitt, which I wanted. $7 for 14 books means I paid 50 cents for each book. I figured it was worth it for the book I wanted. The other books turned out to be all modern Hulks, including -1 and multiple books around the 450 range. 456 & 457 were there, which are pretty good. But there was also...

IMG_20231226_220645295.jpg

IMG_20231226_220619667.jpg

I've often saw those and wondered what may be lol

Either I've got more picky or idk, but I haven't been necessarily burned yet, but again haven't bought any either lol

Like Superman said, "no pain no gain!" Haha 😂

On 12/27/2023 at 11:08 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've often saw those and wondered what may be lol

Either I've got more picky or idk, but I haven't been necessarily burned yet, but again haven't bought any either lol

Like Superman said, "no pain no gain!" Haha 😂

Sometimes you may find an outward facing book that's a good one. Those are no-brainers. Other times you're able to see edges and maybe even the corner box of some of the inside books, which can give indications of what's inside. Or you can at least see the tops and sides of the pages of each book, and maybe tell if they're modern or older. But often, you just have no idea except the 2 outer-facing books, and it's a complete crapshoot. With that Hulk  pack, I bought it for one of the outer books and just got a pleasant surprise inside as well. But that definitely doesn't always happen!

I'm cheating a little because I paid $2 for this. It was at Half Price Books and it was lying on top of the other books with a few other comics. So someone pulled it out, presumably considering buying it. My guess is they either didn't see Amanda Conner's autograph, or thought it was part of the actual art. Anyhow, I was happy to find it!

connor.jpg

Edited by BuraddoRun

On 1/21/2024 at 5:08 AM, BuraddoRun said:

Nice find!!

How did the assessment go?

It's detached at top staple and has some significant tears but am truly grateful! It has those stains on the cover, which look like water damage, but doesn't go through the book. It had some slight folds at the top corners of the pages, but most importantly it wasn't brittle (thumbsu 

Complete, but the tears are in the cover and back cover, that make it hard to take in and out of a bag and board, so pretty much a $20 fair condition book.

Still $2 :takeit: 

Spoiler

It was at an antiques store, and after 2 stores before that of nothing and this last store everything was priced but this.... I almost gave up!

A friend had suggested I go today, so I thought Lord willing I'll try for the goodwill of just to leave no stone unturned kind of thing...

Anyway rantrant they had to call the guy for price and I helped explain what looked like water damage on the cover....

Sure enough $2

On 1/21/2024 at 9:51 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's detached at top staple and has some significant tears but am truly grateful! It has those stains on the cover, which look like water damage, but doesn't go through the book. It had some slight folds at the top corners of the pages, but most importantly it wasn't brittle (thumbsu 

Complete, but the tears are in the cover and back cover, that make it hard to take in and out of a bag and board, so pretty much a $20 fair condition book.

Still $2 :takeit: 

Reveal hidden contents

It was at an antiques store, and after 2 stores before that of nothing and this last store everything was priced but this.... I almost gave up!

A friend had suggested I go today, so I thought Lord willing I'll try for the goodwill of just to leave no stone unturned kind of thing...

Anyway rantrant they had to call the guy for price and I helped explain what looked like water damage on the cover....

Sure enough $2

Even kinda beat and detached at one staple, that's not the ugliest copy of that book I've ever seen. Especially if that spine isn't split, I bet you could get better than 20 bucks for that. Real nice pick for $2.

On 2/13/2024 at 11:10 PM, BuraddoRun said:

Nice HPB score!

Thanks 🙏 I had been since you had gone, but tried one more time. Thank God there was time enough, with road construction there has been a lot of obstacles.

Congrats on your haul too!