• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,637 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2023 at 8:12 PM, bellrules said:

I was shocked when I saw it. Been looking for a couple of years 

I was going to say the same thing!  I gave up ever finding one of those...nice score on that!

I'm probably going to double post, so apologies for that, but I really think the 2 should be separate. You'll see why for the 2nd post. But in this one, I recently discovered a comic and games shop that is about an hour's drive for me. I actually went there looking for a game (which they sold out of before I arrived), but found that they had quite a large dollar bin, multiple shelves filled with books for literally $1. I didn't find anything amazing, but I still found some cool stuff. I really like the oddball promo comics that sometimes get released to advertise video games and movies. I picked up a number of those. Then there was a random Captain Marvel from the 70s (not modern, forgive me) and a couple of cartoon books from the 80s. And there were other cool books like the first appearance of Keres from Zenescope (hey, I like their horror books!), some Wizard 1/2 and Comic Con books, variants, and other goodies. I'll attach a few pictures but it's just a sampling from about 30 or so comics I picked up from them.

sw1.jpg

sw2.jpg

sw3.jpg

sw4.jpg

OK, here's the second post. The reason I wanted to separate it is because the $1 finds here were substantially better than the ones in my above post. One book in particular takes the cake. I just want to encourage all fellow hunters out there to keep hunting if you enjoy it! It's easy to get discouraged or hit dry spells when the places you visit either don't have new stock, are full of other people scavenging the bins that got there before you when the new stuff came out, or you simply haven't found anything good in awhile. But truly, there are still places that have actual $1 bins out there, and you never know what you'll find. So today, I went to a place that I sometimes visit, usually for movies. I had some toys I wanted to sell and didn't want to take the time to find direct buyers, so I just sold to them. They took a long time to evaluate my stuff, so I spent quite a bit of time browsing their comics. I usually don't shop for comics there, because they mostly overprice their stuff in my opinion. They have basically everything bagged and boarded and stickered with prices that range from cover to higher. And it just seems like they think every comic, regardless of condition, is worth at least cover price. But they also have dollar bins. I've browsed before and found occasional books I've wanted, but nothing to write home about. I didn't expect to find much today but...I ended up walking out of there with exactly 50 comics in hand. :whatthe:

And yes, I paid $1 for each and every one of these books. I browsed their other books a little but didn't find anything there I wanted. Anyhow, not all of these are modern so again forgive me, but I found some goodies. Like above, I won't post pics of everything. I'll give you a sample and then you can see my big find at the very end. Wait, should I do a triple post...? Yeah, I'll do that.

So anyway, they had a bunch of old Archie stuff, only some pictured here. Some of those Archie covers are pretty funny, so even though they aren't bank-breakers they're still cool. They had other random oldies from the 60s (check out that Bat Masterson cover, funny lingo), including some DC stuff. There is some staining on a lot of the older books but they're still in good shape and again, were only $1 each. But I got modern stuff, too, like a couple of die-cut Something is Killing the Children and a foil House of Slaughter. Then some things like Darker Image 1 (1st Maxx), some newstands, a Harley Quinn Loot Crate exclusive, and some other things I didn't picture.

IMG_20230823_164820972.jpg

IMG_20230823_165024083.jpg

IMG_20230823_165257331.jpg

IMG_20230823_165401062.jpg

IMG_20230823_165752085.jpg

IMG_20230823_170328643.jpg

IMG_20230823_170345530.jpg

IMG_20230823_170430187.jpg

IMG_20230823_170457812.jpg

IMG_20230823_170514740.jpg

IMG_20230823_170532620.jpg

IMG_20230823_170615764.jpg

On 8/24/2023 at 3:58 AM, BuraddoRun said:

OK, last post, but here's the big book I found: House of Secrets # 61: the first appearance of Eclipso! I wasn't familiar with the specific book before seeing it today but, I mean, it says right there on the cover it's his introduction. So I looked it up and, yeah, first appearance. You can see that there's a piece missing from the cover in the upper left, and there are spine ticks. Also, the cover is pulled through the top staple. But the interior is complete and nice (though with browning) and it's still in solid shape overall. And again, I only paid $1 for it! So please, be encouraged! Finds like this are so fun and unexpected! Just keep diving in those dollar bins, garage sales, second-hand stores, antique shops, etc.

Also, I'm tagging @ADAMANTIUM, because I know you'll recognize the price stickers and probably have seen the many overpriced books time and time again there like I have!

IMG_20230823_170728034.jpg

IMG_20230823_170948401.jpg

IMG_20230823_171022083.jpg

@BuraddoRun

Wow - great find !

I am looking for a copy in this condition now for years.

Congratulations !