• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Way To Find Buyers that.....
1 1

91 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, the blob said:

Should I send you a jar of crazed NYC waterbugs (aka giant roaches) to help infest your area to create more business for you? They don't fly at you angrily like the texas/Louisiana versions, they are more gliders, but they multiply rapidly. Or would you like me to send you some comics? Wombat did me a solid on the magazine forum, I can spread some holiday cheer (I forgot to sign up for the santa thing). Would a copy of Thor 339 make your day?

Just Caps pls

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

It doesn't sound like the OP will be willing to give a refund if 3 months later someone gets the book back from CGC and it is restored.

@oakman29 can weigh in on this all Ye-he is the forum Prophet.  

On 12/1/2018 at 11:26 AM, Artboy99 said:

billbrown7080 : if you are not willing to take the time and effort to sell your books you will not receive the top dollar. It takes effort and that is why other sellers / dealers pay you less because it takes many hours to process the books and price them and try to sell them and not all of the books will sell. 

I am absolutely willing to put in the time and effort....I'm not kidding, I lived This collection for 3 years, When I got it, it was over 175 Boxes, that hadnt been gone through since the late 80's.

I spent 3 years, every night going through it, Literally buying new bags and backers from every issue, News boxes, Grading every issue and making lists.

to be honest, it was one of the greatest experiences of my life, I'll never for get it, but It was time and effort.

the point is, I'm not your usual collector, I've never sold a book, I didnt piece my collection together over years, only 3 people have ever seen the collection...I just dont know the ins and outs of the comic book world or the world of a collector/seller..

I'm absolutely willing to put in the time and effort to sell some of my collection, I just dont know where to start....thats why I made this thread

this is what I'm working with(It took time and effort)-

20180131_162419.jpg

20180131_162907.jpg

20180131_162427.jpg

2 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

I am absolutely willing to put in the time and effort....I'm not kidding, I lived This collection for 3 years, When I got it, it was over 175 Boxes, that hadnt been gone through since the late 80's.

I spent 3 years, every night going through it, Literally buying new bags and backers from every issue, News boxes, Grading every issue and making lists.

to be honest, it was one of the greatest experiences of my life, I'll never for get it, but It was time and effort.

the point is, I'm not your usual collector, I've never sold a book, I didnt piece my collection together over years, only 3 people have ever seen the collection...I just dont know the ins and outs of the comic book world or the world of a collector/seller..

I'm absolutely willing to put in the time and effort to sell some of my collection, I just dont know where to start....thats why I made this thread

20180131_162419.jpg

20180131_162907.jpg

20180131_162427.jpg

great stuff! 

I would sell duplicates here on the boards first.

Do a combination of local shows and online sales.

Category 1:  with that much volume, you should probably start setting up at a local comic show or flea market.  Sort out your lower level stuff - complete sets or runs, and singles you can put into boxes - like $1, $5, $20 boxes.  You can rotate your stock each show since you have so much and people keep checking you out.  For stuff that doesn't sell after a few attempts, just donate it and deduct against your revenues (or blow out long boxes on craiglist for like $10 or $20).

Category 2:  Then with the rest you should sort out the ones first that you think should be graded.  Grade these at your convenience, depending on your financial situation.

Category 3:  Then the valuable comics you don't plan to get graded for whatever reason.  These  can be rotated through as wall books during your shows.

Tip 1 - Use GPA analysis to find potential prices for slabbed copies, and ebay sold prices for raws.  Do your own internal math on what is worth it not worth it to submit, make sure you factor in all relevant factors.

Tip 2 - Post some comics in the 'please grade my comic section' to see how your grading stacks up to others.

Tip 3 - Sell your nicer comics online (and at shows too), but reserve the cheaper ones for shows (unless you want to sell the occasional set). 

Tip 4 - With this amount a volume and potential quality, you might be in a situation where there are significant tax implications.  Research that first, or talk to a professional.

Tip 5 - It sounds like you want to max your value, but your time has value too.  Be aware of that.

Tip 6 - for your higher level books (and even some lower levels, do your own research), consider sending to auction houses.

31 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

20180131_162419.jpg

20180131_162907.jpg

20180131_162427.jpg

Hi Bill.  Sorry about your father.

So you have a great collection, you now want to sell some of it for max value and you want to know where to start.

Honestly it seems like you've had enough good advice in this thread.  Pick a venue, grade your books, pick out books that would sell for substantially more graded and get them graded, make deals and deliver the books, deal with possible returns and theft, and count your money.

To be honest there are some issues.  You mention you inherited this collection and you've been living with this collection for the last 3 years and that you've bought a few books at local shows.  3 years is a relatively short period of time in this hobby and it suggests that you're relatively inexperienced in grading and restoration inspection.  You also have no experience as a seller so you won't have any feedback as a seller and you won't have an established reputation online.  Asking for information on how to start selling confirms this.

I'm not trying to be mean, just pointing out what's obvious to most of us.  You probably won't achieve maximum sales value until you've shipped a fair number of books and become a trusted seller with good feedback.  

Mycomicshop will grade your raw books for you and sell them on co signment. Yes, they want stuff worth $50+, but they will let some less valuable stuff in, Depending on the condition that could take care of the first 75 -130 books of several of these runs and then you just need to figure out your asking prices.

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

Mycomicshop will grade your raw books for you and sell them on co signment. Yes, they want stuff worth $50+, but they will let some less valuable stuff in, Depending on the condition that could take care of the first 75 -130 books of several of these runs and then you just need to figure out your asking prices.

Thats probably the best all around advice.

Mycomicshop is sure making it tough to be a dealer.  They basically act as a dealer and only take a 10% commission after they impart a ton of experience, sell the books and provide a ton of leg work.  They would be who I went to if I was trying to sell a collection with a minimum amount of work.

17 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

20180131_162419.jpg

20180131_162907.jpg

20180131_162427.jpg

Many of these dates and numbers you've provided, at length, don't add up to me. It may be the case you are estimating or rounding, but I don't know.

In any case, you've started multiple threads over multiple years asking the same question; you should have your answer by now.

2 hours ago, manetteska said:

Many of these dates and numbers you've provided, at length, don't add up to me. It may be the case you are estimating or rounding, but I don't know.

In any case, you've started multiple threads over multiple years asking the same question; you should have your answer by now. 

no they add up....

I'm sorry you dont believe me...

I ask the same question because 2 years ago I didnt get any answers...Instead I got bombarded with "Post pictures or get out"....

when I finally posted the pics everyone seemed to go away and not give me any answers...

plus 2 years ago, I had no interest in selling, I only wanted to find the best way to get my collection appraised.

Now I'm actually wanted to sell some comics...

17 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

no they add up....

I ask the same question because 2 years ago I didnt get any answers...Instead I got bombarded with "Post pictures or get out"....

when I finally posted the pics everyone seemed to go away and not give me any answers...

plus 2 years ago, I had no interest in selling, I only wanted to find the best way to get my collection appraised.

Which of the advice given do you plan on following?

23 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:
2 hours ago, manetteska said:

no they add up....

All right, well without going through every single every post, here are some "don't add up" lines to me:

1. "plus 2 years ago, I had no interest in selling"

--> June 24, 2017 (not 2 years ago, but a year and a half): https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/417586-question-about-selling-comics/

2. The number of boxes keeps changing

--> Jan 30, 2017 90 boxes, almost all Silver Age: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/409371-question-about-production-flaws-in-comics/

--> Feb 2, 2017 50-70 boxes, 25 of which are Marvel + DC combined: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/409604-question-for-regulars-and-collectors/

--> Dec 1, 2018 up to 175 boxes: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/443234-best-way-to-find-buyers-that/?do=findComment&comment=10469755

3. The pictures show several posters on the walls, along with not being a comic collector -- or maybe you just got into it in the last 3 years when you started going through the collection -- the posters are older than three years and would have to have been put up before the boxes and shelving.

Edited by manetteska

2 minutes ago, manetteska said:

All right, well without going through every single every post, here are some "don't add up" lines to me:

1. "plus 2 years ago, I had no interest in selling"

--> June 24, 2017 (not 2 years ago, but a year and a half): https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/417586-question-about-selling-comics/

2. The number of boxes keeps changing

--> Jan 30, 2017 90 boxes, almost all Silver Age: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/409371-question-about-production-flaws-in-comics/

--> Feb 2, 2017 50-70 boxes, 25 of which are Marvel + DC combined: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/409604-question-for-regulars-and-collectors/

--> Dec 1, 2018 up to 175 boxes: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/443234-best-way-to-find-buyers-that/?do=findComment&comment=10469755

3. The pictures posted show several posters on the walls, along with not being a comic collector -- or maybe you just got into it in the last 3 years when you started going through the collection -- the posters are older than three years and would have to have been put up before the boxes.

Great scott Holmes!

I feel like OP doesnt really want advice he wants someone to buy entire collection but give him full value for the books.  That is never going to happen.  

Any collector would already have most of the books he needs.  No dealer is gonna buy books then sell them for exactly what he bought them for.  No rich guy is gonna wake up one day and say wow I think I want to collect comics is there some entire collection I can buy?