• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Way To Find Buyers that.....
1 1

91 posts in this topic

My opinion: If we are talking about mega keys like ASM 1 and company, send them to get graded. You will make more $ for your books and the buyer will know what he is paying for. You can list them then along with raw smaller keys here on the boards or on eBay with a "Buy it now" price. So long someone pays your asking price, its totally irrelevant for you if he is a dealer or a "real collector". 

3 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Good luck selling that whole stash. You are gonna want to invest time and money on those higher end books. One of the biggest fear people have of buying raw books (mainly GA/SA/BA) is that they will have unforeseen restoration which cuts the value of the book significantly. By sending those books to CGC you will (assuming you dont get the Purple Label Of Death) get the most out of your sales. 

doesn't it cost money though to send each comic into CGC to be graded?

how much does the purple label of death hurt a comic? I've got a few comics that look like someone has "Amateur Restored" them.

so I can get an idea, I mean for example how much would the Purple label hurt Amazing Spider-Man #1....Lets say you had a "Amateur Restored" AM1....does that knock the value down 60-70%?

Just now, billbrown7080 said:

how much does the purple label of death hurt a comic? I've got a few comics that look like someone has "Amateur Restored" them.

so I can get an idea, I mean for example how much would the Purple label hurt Amazing Spider-Man #1....Lets say you had a "Amateur Restored" AM1....does that knock the value down 60-70%?

I wouldn't buy a restored ASM 1. Period. So for a collector like me, your possibly restored ASM 1 is knocked down in value by 100%. That's just this collector. 

28 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

It really depends on the specific type and amount of restoration. Often, a book that has been messed with will have multiple things going on. A trimmed book is usually the worst. Amateur Color Touch needs to be scraped off to get a Blue Label.  It's difficult to have a general Rule of Thumb on the Valuation but a 60 - 70% haircut is reasonable.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 hour ago, billbrown7080 said:

Yes, that is their business.

:facepalm: You don't even know if your comics are restored and you're asking where to find people to pay top dollar?

Good luck. You're going to need it.

CGC slabbing costs money, but it is virtually required with books worth over $1,000 if you hope to get anything close to top dollar. 

Purple label of death has that name for a reason, but selling a restored book will have the same problems. You are not losing money by having it slabbed. PLODs have anywhere from 80% of the value of unrestored, to 10% of the value, depending on the book and the work done to it. ASM #1 included. If it's just a tear seal, no big deal. If it has pieces added, or is trimmed, it's a huge deal. 

Yes restoration will hurt the sales price quite a bit. As Bob said, it depends on the type and amount of restoration as to how much it will hurt. If you know how to grade reliably and are willing to do the work, sell a few here and see how it goes. People here will pay top dollar for Silver Age keys as long as they are properly graded. You will need to be open to taking returns though, especially if either a) you aren't up to speed on grading today and b) you can't reliably spot restoration.

1 minute ago, SuperBird said:

CGC slabbing costs money, but it is virtually required with books worth over $1,000 if you hope to get anything close to top dollar. 

Purple label of death has that name for a reason, but selling a restored book will have the same problems. You are not losing money by having it slabbed. PLODs have anywhere from 80% of the value of unrestored, to 10% of the value, depending on the book and the work done to it. ASM #1 included. If it's just a tear seal, no big deal. If it has pieces added, or is trimmed, it's a huge deal. 

This is not true. There are sellers here that get top dollar for raw books. It all depends on the book and the seller. 

18 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Yes restoration will hurt the sales price quite a bit. As Bob said, it depends on the type and amount of restoration as to how much it will hurt. If you know how to grade reliably and are willing to do the work, sell a few here and see how it goes. People here will pay top dollar for Silver Age keys as long as they are properly graded. You will need to be open to taking returns though, especially if either a) you aren't up to speed on grading today and b) you can't reliably spot restoration.

It definitely won't hurt to have CGC grade it so that you can disclose any and all restoration, when it concerns selling...

Selling a book that they in turn send to CGC and it comes back purple will hurt you far more than if you send it yourself, in order for full disclosure when selling, as it concerns your pocket book.

That's not to say that you wouldn't be able TO disclose all restoration, but better to stand on cgc's reputation than your own, that takes a little bit of the responsibility or liability out of the equation :foryou:

:shy:

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It definitely won't hurt to have CGC grade it so that you can disclose any and all restoration, when it concerns selling...

Selling a book that they in turn send to CGC and it comes back purple will hurt you far more than if you send it yourself, in order for full disclosure when selling, as it concerns your pocket book.

You are correct but I'm not sure where you think I said it would hurt to send them to CGC. All I'm saying is that you don't NEED to send them to CGC in order to get top dollar as others have said. Again, it depends on the seller and the book. For someone like the OP, if he doesn't know how to grade and spot resto well, it might well be better to send them. I don't know his exact situation so tough to say.

Yes it costs you money but it can be money wisely invested if it will bring you the value your comics deserve.

A purple label can be so bad that potential buyers won't even look at your book. It turns that many people off.

As far as how much % you will lose it all comes down to many things. A really rare GA book with restoration will still get the attention of many buyers because there just aren't that many copies out there. A bronze age key on the other hand with resto will turn the heads of most people because there are so many copies out there to choose from.

Ultimately a CGC graded comic offers insurance to your buyer that the book is really worth their money or investment if you like.

46 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

This is not true. There are sellers here that get top dollar for raw books. It all depends on the book and the seller. 

I said "virtually", not "absolutely". 

19 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

I'm looking for a site where Collectors are looking for comics for their personal collections, as These are they type that would pay reasonably close to what the books are actually worth.

Ironic you have no interest in selling to a 'dealer', but your ideal scenario pretty much makes you a dealer.  Try ebay.  If you are not computer literate (but here you are) set up at a show.  If that is too much work, put them on Craigslist and ask for reasonably close what the books are actually worth and be firm in your asking price to weed out the dealer. 

NEXT.jpg

The best way to find "end of the rainbow" buyers is to go to a comic site, preferably one with a chat forum and start a thread/topic on your key comic collection and go fishing... oh wait.... 

The blinking envelope icon are the sharks circling to pay 50% of guide.

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

You are correct but I'm not sure where you think I said it would hurt to send them to CGC. All I'm saying is that you don't NEED to send them to CGC in order to get top dollar as others have said. Again, it depends on the seller and the book. For someone like the OP, if he doesn't know how to grade and spot resto well, it might well be better to send them. I don't know his exact situation so tough to say.

I didn't mean to imply that you said it would hurt to send to CGC.... :sorry:that was not my intention...

26 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

The best way to find "end of the rainbow" buyers is to go to a comic site, preferably one with a chat forum and start a thread/topic on your key comic collection and go fishing... oh wait.... 

The blinking envelope icon are the sharks circling to pay 50% of guide.

yep.  thats them.