• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2021 at 11:14 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Because the narrative of a nerd who gets the powers of a spider from a spider bite or a big purple alien guy getting a bunch of stones so he can kill half of all life with a finger snap is a true and realistic narrative? Here’s something to chew on, tough guy: it’s all a false narrative?

You can be very rude when you want to be.

Edited by Larryw7

On 9/6/2021 at 12:36 PM, Larryw7 said:

You can be very rude when you want to be.

On 9/6/2021 at 12:38 PM, D84 said:

I think the appropriate term is :censored:hole.

No. Just a big 'Marvel fan'. That's the excuse narrative.

marvel_fan.gif.ac2e38d30464b634e2e6ebeb4fd7226f.gif

On 9/6/2021 at 11:14 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Because the narrative of a nerd who gets the powers of a spider from a spider bite or a big purple alien guy getting a bunch of stones so he can kill half of all life with a finger snap is a true and realistic narrative? Here’s something to chew on, tough guy: it’s all a false narrative?

Remember that these stories were written and marketed for pre-teen and teenage boys.  These boys are most of us now that kept the interest of the characters for decades.  For the most part, comics to the best of my knowledge (I could be wrong on this) marketed towards girls didn't sell well.  We had to wait decades to get good movies and now it sort of feels like they are getting highjacked for those same people to ripped on us for liking that material to begin with. 

I have no issue with modernizing characters and adding new more diverse characters, just don't carp on the historic characters.  i.e. Shang-Chi is a loner.  I was really hoping they would model him after Jean Claude Van Damme in Blood Sport or John Wick.

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 9/6/2021 at 1:16 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Remember that these stories were written and marketed for pre-teen and teenage boys.  These boys are most of us now that kept the interest of the characters for decades.  For the most part, comics to the best of my knowledge (I could be wrong on this) marketed towards girls didn't sell well.  We had to wait decades to get good movies and now it sort of feels like they are getting highjacked for those same people to ripped on us for liking that material to begin with. 

I have no issue with modernizing characters and adding new more diverse characters, just don't carp on the historic characters.  i.e. Shang-Chi is a loner.  I was really hoping they would model him after Jean Claude Van Damme in Blood Sport or John Wick.

Marvel Comics, to a certain point, weren't exactly written with a large African-American or Asian-American readership in mind, either. Does that mean that leading super-heroes in this new era of comic book movies only get to be white and male? Well, that was pretty much the situation for the first ten years of the MCU. But thankfully, Disney and Marvel know that action and fantasy isn't just one demographic but can represent and be written for many different demographics because we all like action and fantasy. There's plenty of room for non-white and female action super-heroes, and one doesn't have to label it being "woke" just because it's happening. Look at the box office for Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and now Shang-Chi. It's good business, too.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 9/6/2021 at 2:04 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Marvel Comics, to a certain point, weren't exactly written with a large African-American or Asian-American readership in mind, either. Does that mean that leading super-heroes in this new era of comic book movies only get to be white and male? Well, that was pretty much the situation for the first ten years of the MCU. But thankfully, Disney and Marvel know that action and fantasy isn't just one demographic but can represent and be written for many different demographics because we all like action and fantasy. There's plenty of room for non-white and female action super-heroes, and one doesn't have to label it being "woke" just because it's happening. Look at the box office for Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and now Shang-Chi. It's good business, too.

Dude, the US Population (based on Wikipedia) of African Americans in the 70's was 11% and 0.8% for Asian American's.  You can make the argument that maybe there should have been more African American characters written but there were a good handful (Luke Cage and Black Panther come to mind) but why in the hell as a Business model would you market towards 0.8% population? 

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 9/6/2021 at 2:10 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Dude, the US Population (based on Wikipedia) of African Americans in the 70's was 11% and 0.5% for Asian American's.  You can make the argument that maybe there should have been more African American characters written but there were a good handful (Luke Cage and Black Panther come to mind) but why in the hell as a Business model would you market towards 0.5% population? 

Stan told me at a convention once that he received death threats for publishing the FF issue with the Black Panther in '66 ... T'Challa was a favorite of mine and Stan was my hero ... like Rodney said, "why can't we all just get along ?" GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/6/2021 at 11:10 AM, Xenosmilus said:

Dude, the US Population (based on Wikipedia) of African Americans in the 70's was 11% and 0.8% for Asian American's.  You can make the argument that maybe there should have been more African American characters written but there were a good handful (Luke Cage and Black Panther come to mind) but why in the hell as a Business model would you market towards 0.8% population? 

That number hasn't increased dramatically and yet we had the phenomenal success of Black Panther, the movie.

On 9/6/2021 at 2:10 PM, Xenosmilus said:

For the business model, I'm not talking about the America of the 60's and 70's. I'm talking about the America of today which is a much more diverse place demographically and economically than it was in the 60's and 70's. Marvel is simply finding those characters it has, whether they're D-list or even F-list (ie Shang Chi or Carol Danvers), and finding ways to use those characters to fit our country's more diverse audience that consumes action and fantasy.

Also, just make a good movie and people will find it.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 9/6/2021 at 2:36 PM, bronze_rules said:

That number hasn't increased dramatically and yet we had the phenomenal success of Black Panther, the movie.

Yes, my point was why there wasn't a lot of Asian American Characters developed in the 70's due to a lack of diversity in the country. Times have changed and it's apples to oranges to make a comparison of 70's VS 2020. 

On 9/6/2021 at 2:41 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

For the business model, I'm not talking about the America of the 60's and 70's. I'm talking about the America of today which is a much more diverse place demographically and economically than it was in the 60's and 70's. Marvel is simply finding those characters it has, whether they're D-list or even F-list (ie Shang Chi or Carol Danvers), and finding ways to use those characters to fit our country's more diverse audience that consumes action and fantasy.

Also, just make a good movie and people will find it.

I brought up the 60's and 70's because that's when most of the characters were created. Most of us old farts on here want to see those characters we loved as kids on the big screen is all. 

On 9/6/2021 at 11:42 AM, Xenosmilus said:

Yes, my point was why there wasn't a lot of Asian American Characters developed in the 70's due to a lack of diversity in the country. Times have changed and it's apples to oranges to make a comparison of 70's VS 2020. 

My understanding of diversity is based upon the quantitative mixture of elements that make up the society. My point there is the black ratio hasn't changed all that much. Today it's 14% Blacks. The proportion is sill small, yet BP movie accounted for an overwhelming business success. I don't think anyone would have ever guessed that in a million years.

Now, if you are saying that tolerance, inclusion in pop culture, etc changed. I do agree with that.

On the other hand, from a business perspective, marvel threw all kinds of things out there and kept the ones that were successful. BP and other titles, just did not have the audience to keep them afloat as did mainstream lead characters. No arguing there.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/6/2021 at 11:46 AM, Xenosmilus said:

I brought up the 60's and 70's because that's when most of the characters were created. Most of us old farts on here want to see those characters we loved as kids on the big screen is all. 

Well,  I just turned 33 and am Mexican American. Not a whole lot of characters that are Mexican American at all. I still would be pissed if they made Mr . Fantastic meixcan American because I’ve always seen him as a dorky white dude. Just my two cents on it

On 9/6/2021 at 3:20 PM, Mmanick said:

Well,  I just turned 33 and am Mexican American. Not a whole lot of characters that are Mexican American at all. I still would be pissed if they made Mr . Fantastic meixcan American because I’ve always seen him as a dorky white dude. Just my two cents on it

Exactly, plus it’s all fantasy anyways the dorky guys never get the hotties in real life.😂

On 9/6/2021 at 11:42 AM, Xenosmilus said:

And I guess that's why we had David Carradine playing the lead role in Kung Fu back in the 70's, instead of Bruce Lee who had to go back to Hong Kong to fine fame and stardom in the movies before his untimely death. :(