• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2021 at 2:47 PM, HighVoltage said:

Like say… Dazzler? (:

I only bought the first issue of that, and gave up.  Can’t say.

Edited by Ken Aldred

one of my friends/roommates (in fact wifey's high school sweetheart!) read comics but not too many that I read. He read Cherry Poptart, Trouble with Girls, Fish Police and the like. I recall those titles explicitly being in his pull list.

we did both read Black Kiss though; it came in a black bag every month! chicks with...sticks and vampires and everything! Oh Bev!

On 9/19/2021 at 12:16 PM, paperheart said:

Meanwhile, Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings led global play with $42M in the third session. Of that, $20.3M comes from 43 material offshore markets. The total international cume is now $143.7M for $320.6M global.

2c $400 million WW (no China) looks like a sure thing

I called it! :banana:

108X watching Spider-Man: Far From Home - presented his ticket binder to Tom Holland)

Spiderman_NWH108.jpg.47246993bf918645fa3323b9c490f6bb.jpg

140X watching Captain Marvel

Captain_Marvel140.jpg.cbec3a948d8fe438c261e680cfe4ebb4.jpg

201X watching Avengers: Endgame - presented his ticket binder to the cast

Endgame_binder201.thumb.jpg.4ecb28d968cd34a9ed343ace3dcd1731.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

On 9/19/2021 at 3:10 PM, paperheart said:

there's a pattern here; can't quite put my finger on it but i think it might be: people like cut and paste

image.thumb.png.1d74851a91894b93d756194fd31e5ec1.png

Obviously, the appeal of the MCU is not "cut and paste", as Mr. Villeneuve insultingly referred to Marvel films.

Technically, you could even say "cut and paste" about some of Alfred Hitchcock's films as he kind of used the same suspense-driven plots and story elements over and over again in his films. You could say that about a lot of movies and moviemakers.

Over the past year, I've had direct conversations with a handful of older ladies (>50) who tell me they LOVE the MCU but never read the comics. I've been trying to figure why they might love this franchise so much, as opposed to a franchise like Transformers or The Fast and Furious. I have a theory.

Besides the more obvious things like humor or female representation, I think Phase One through Three of the MCU was intentionally or unintentionally made to appeal to an older crowd. Start with the first MCU film, Iron Man. It starred a beloved (or at least well known) actor from the 80's, Robert Downey Jr. The soundtrack featured Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Suicidal Tendencies, 70's and 80's rock basically. The movie had lots of cultural references from the past, many of them filtered through the humor of Tony Stark, a child of the 80's in this movie universe. Take all that and throw in modern technology and settings to appeal to younger audiences and you now have a film that cuts across generations in its appeal. Also, the filmmaking style is also a lot more old-fashioned, having more in common with John Hughes movies than Michael Bay. And the fact that many Marvel movies are more light-hearted and not-so-serious also helps.

You find these traits across most of the Marvel films, including Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ant-Man. It's telling that many of these movies are also made by an older generation that grew up in the 70's and 80's.

I think a factor in the success of the MCU with older audiences is its subtle sense of nostalgia.

Disney Plus on November 12th

Disney CEO Bob Chapek mentioned today during a Goldman Sachs 30th Annual Communacopia Conference that Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings will hit Disney+ on Friday, Nov. 12, which the studio is designating as Disney+ Day.

That’s a consumer day celebrating the services. “We’ll be surprising people with offers and it will be an annual thing,” said Chapek, “We’re going to have new content release against one of our four key franchises.”

‘Shang-Chi’ Heading Into Homes On November 12, Which Bob Chapek Announces As “Disney+ Day”

I assume this means Shang-Chi will remain in theaters past the initial 45 day window, padding its box office numbers even more. CEO Chapek knows a good thing when he sees it?

On 9/21/2021 at 12:20 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

‘Shang-Chi’ Heading Into Homes On November 12, Which Bob Chapek Announces As “Disney+ Day”

I assume this means Shang-Chi will remain in theaters past the initial 45 day window, padding its box office numbers even more. CEO Chapek knows a good thing when he sees it?

wants to squeeze a few extra shekels by tag teaming it with Eternals like BW did with S-C