• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 9:25 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

The movie with its epic scenery and action shots plays very well in the large format.

What did you think about the CGI set-piece conclusion in these formats & in general? 

Also, the acting is superb in this movie. Even though Simu Liu's Shang-Chi is a fun character at heart, he nails the deep emotional moments when the movie calls for it. And Tony Leung IMO gives one of the finest performances ever in a MCU film.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 9/12/2021 at 9:27 AM, TupennyConan said:

What did you think about the CGI set-piece conclusion in these formats & in general? 

There was a moment or two when the mountain that holds the portal gate looked a little like a scale model from a Godzilla movie, but other than that, the finale looked great in IMAX, in my opinion. The format really brought out the enormity(both the proper and improper use of the word) of the scenes.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings handily crossed the $250M mark globally this weekend, seeing a very good 34% drop at the international box office and maintaining No. 1s in such key markets as Australia, Brazil, France, Germany, Korea, Italy, Mexico, Russia, Spain and the UK.

The overall overseas weekend was $35.2M from 42 material markets, lifting the international cume to $112M and worldwide to $257.6M

2clooks like it'll eclipse $400MM WW; US could cross $225MM- literally zero competition for the rest of the month domestically

Edited by paperheart

On 9/15/2021 at 9:41 PM, paperheart said:

image.thumb.png.a80a4c836085957ade84a247e6536f18.png

passes $150MM, should be $170-175MM by end of weekend

It's a shame it isn't open in China .... imagine how the numbers would have been .... comparing it to many of the other movies isn't accurate due to that ... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/9/2021 at 12:44 PM, ExNihilo said:

I had no idea this scene existed.  That blatant pandering is just...bad.

That's not pandering, that's catering to the their market. Just looked at the old Godzilla and Gamera movies from the 50's and 60's with American actors. Most of the original Japanese versions of those films didn't have American actors. Some of those scenes with American actors didn't even exist in the original Japanese versions. No Raymond Burr in the original Japanese Godzilla movie. Same thing with King Kong vs. Godzilla. Majority of the scenes with American actors in King Kong vs. Godzilla were not in the original Japanese version of the film. In the American version of Godzilla vs. The Thing (Mothra). There is a scene where the US Navy (played by American actors, of course) was bombing Godzilla on a beach. That scene is completely missing in the original Japanese version. Were they blatantly pandering to American audiences then?   

Edited by taro90

On 9/16/2021 at 9:27 PM, taro90 said:

That's not pandering, that's catering to the their market. Just looked at the old Godzilla and Gamera movies from the 50's and 60's with American actors. Most of the original Japanese versions of those films didn't have American actors. Some of those scenes with American actors didn't even exist in the original Japanese versions. No Raymond Burr in the original Japanese Godzilla movie. Same thing with King Kong vs. Godzilla. Majority of the scenes with American actors in King Kong vs. Godzilla were not in the original Japanese version of the film. In the American version of Godzilla vs. The Thing (Mothra). There is a scene where the US Navy (played by American actors, of course) was bombing Godzilla on a beach. That scene is completely missing in the original Japanese version. Were they blatantly pandering to American audiences then?   

It was pandering to the local market in a heavy-handed way. And though financially it benefitted the box office, then the responses to those scenes became negative reactions. Which is why going forward Marvel Studios never tried this approach again of inserting a region-crafted scene in its movies.

Why Many in China Hate Iron Man 3's Chinese Version

It came across as "Just stick some Chinese actors in a short spot and call it done!" Going forward, based on this, Marvel Studios made adjustments to the actual stories and characters. Such as what happened with Doctor Strange and The Ancient One, though that also was revealed later and turned fans off to the approach.

THE NEW YORK TIMES: ‘Doctor Strange’ Writer Explains Casting of Tilda Swinton as Tibetan

It turns out that the filmmakers scrubbed the Tibetan origins of the character from the comic book altogether, in large part over fears of offending the Chinese government and people — and of losing access to one of the world’s most lucrative film markets, according to one insider account.

There's a reason why the old Godzilla movie approach is not common practice in modern times.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

It was pandering to the local market in a heavy-handed way. And though financially it benefitted the box office, then the responses to those scenes became negative reactions. Which is why going forward Marvel Studios never tried this approach again of inserting a region-crafted scene in its movies.

Why Many in China Hate Iron Man 3's Chinese Version

It came across as "Just stick some Chinese actors in a short spot and call it done!" Going forward, based on this, Marvel Studios made adjustments to the actual stories and characters. Such as what happened with Doctor Strange and The Ancient One, though that also was revealed later and turned fans off to the approach.

THE NEW YORK TIMES: ‘Doctor Strange’ Writer Explains Casting of Tilda Swinton as Tibetan

There's a reason why the old Godzilla movie approach is not common practice in modern times.

So my question about pandering in the old Godzilla movies was correct. You're right about that the old Godzilla movie approach is no longer common practice.

I'm not saying it to you particularly, just replying to your reply. But the subject of pandering to Chinese audiences seems to get bring up every so often on these boards when discussing movies. But the same old Godzilla movie traits get no mentioned. I've actually seen praised for old Americanized/pandering Godzilla movies on these boards.  

Edited by taro90

On 9/17/2021 at 5:24 PM, taro90 said:

So my question about pandering in the old Godzilla movies was correct. You're right about that the old Godzilla movie approach is no longer common practice.

I'm not saying it to you particularly, just replying to your reply. But the subject of pandering to Chinese audiences seems to get bring up every so often on these boards when discussing movies. But the same old Godzilla movie traits get no mention. I've actually seen praise for old Americanize/pandering Godzilla movies on these boards.  

I think it comes down to what I highlighted in your statement - old.

When the Marvel Studios team partnered with a local Chinese marketing team that convinced it to apply that approach, maybe they were fans of those movies. But then the MCU never did that again. Which is telling.

:foryou:

Man my kids told Shang Chi is great. Now I will have to go see it.
This again reinforces my belief that Marvel can do no wrong at movies.

There was nothing lower then a Shang Chi comic book collector
when I was a kid. lol Well maybe Moon Knight.....

Edited by fastballspecial

On 9/17/2021 at 4:48 PM, fastballspecial said:

lol  Loved collecting both Master of Kung Fu and Moon Knight!  

On 9/17/2021 at 5:48 PM, fastballspecial said:

Did you see Black Widow? 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by D84

On 9/18/2021 at 9:02 AM, D84 said:
On 9/17/2021 at 4:48 PM, fastballspecial said:

Did you see Black Widow? 🤣🤣🤣

Not yet I am going to disappointed?

On 9/17/2021 at 10:48 PM, fastballspecial said:

Mid range, at worst. Nothing wrong with Moench, Zeck, Day and Sienkiewicz.

Many titles far, far worse than those.