• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, szav said:

Interested to see where this lands... by all the usual comic book value multipliers, highest graded, Church copy, double cover, 9.9, only GA 9.9... this should be a super expensive book, but as of right now it doesn’t even look like it’s headed towards CCs subliminally suggested 25k+...

Pretty sure it's not the only GA 9.9.

12 minutes ago, szav said:

My mistake ... this book is a real piece of garbage then.  I’ll keep it as a reader copy!

You don't need to wash your hands before reading because of the protective outer cover that will soak up the grease. :insane:

2 hours ago, szav said:

Interested to see where this lands... by all the usual comic book value multipliers, highest graded, Church copy, double cover, 9.9, only GA 9.9... this should be a super expensive book, but as of right now it doesn’t even look like it’s headed towards CCs subliminally suggested 25k+...

Its such a cool cover too.  This is one where I have no clue but somehow wouldn’t be shocked if it went for 8k, or over 30k.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=50631

I dunno.  Seems like $4400 is a lot for that book.  I can't imagine it pushing $25k.  

6 hours ago, szav said:

but as of right now it doesn’t even look like it’s headed towards CCs subliminally suggested 25k+...

The amount of hand wringing that goes on here about prices when bidding still has 11 days to go would be absurd if it weren't so irritating. 

Unless of course you're the consignor and you're subtly trying to gin up some interest in your books during this typical lull. 

There is zero correlation between prices now and where they will be at the end of bidding. :gossip:  

First off, there's no denying that CC's auctions run for an interminable amount of time!

In all seriousness, there are plenty of things about the books in the auction to discuss.  But whether current bids are indicative of the final price (they aren't) isn't one of them, in my opinion.

Now, if a book's bids with 11 days to go have already blown past people's expectations of the final price, that's another matter.  But when does that ever happen?    

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

The amount of hand wringing that goes on here about prices when bidding still has 11 days to go would be absurd if it weren't so irritating. 

We need to save our precious internet energy to debate which young up and coming tennis star will win the US Open.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

First off, there's no denying that CC's auctions run for an interminable amount of time!

In all seriousness, there are plenty of things about the books in the auction to discuss.  But whether current bids are indicative of the final price (they aren't) isn't one of them, in my opinion.

Now, if a book's bids with 11 days to go have already blown past people's expectations of the final price, that's another matter.  But when does that ever happen?    

On anything I am interested in :cry:

On 8/30/2019 at 11:53 AM, buttock said:

I'd love a Church CM Jr, I just want the #4.  

I guess you are definitely not alone here since I notice that the Chuch copy of CMJr is noticeably absent from this Church CMJr run that is up for auction here.  hm

Reminds me of the time that Fishler specifically went and pulled the Church copy of CMJr 4 out from the Church run right after Geppi annouced that none of the Church runs were to be broken up.  (tsk)

I guess it didn't work in the end though as both Geppi and Overstreet apparently caught it when it was time to ring up the books. :whistle:

On 8/30/2019 at 1:22 PM, tth2 said:

There is zero correlation between prices now and where they will be at the end of bidding. :gossip:  

I would definitely agree with you here as I have seen some books sitting at something like $250 on the final morning of the CC auction and yet they finished up at over $2K by the time it's all said and done.  Yet, on the other hand, I've seen others that were already over $2K on the final morning of the CC auction and then proceed to move up only 1 or 2 increments by the time the 3-minute bell stops ringing.  (shrug)

20 hours ago, tth2 said:

All I'll say here is that I bet you that the consignor for the Startling 10 sitting at $16,250 and the consignor for the TOD 10 sitting at $74K with both of them having only 1 day left were most likely giddy with excitement and anticipation, but for completely opposite reasons.  I can also tell you which one of the consignor's shoes I would much rather be in, with just the one day left to go.  hm  (thumbsu

:bump:

Decided to give this thread a bump here since it's now less than a week to the auction and there doesn't seem to be much discussion here so far.

I fianlly got around to going onto their site and was actually surprised at how tepid most of the prices still are at this point in time.  Wish the auction would end right now since I found a book that I have been hopping to snag for the longest while and it's still sitting at only around 15% of guide.  I bidded it up to something like under 25% of guide to become the highest bidder and it took a few hours, but some other bidder finally came in and topped it by one bid increment.  :slapfight:  :censored:

Well, still surprisingly low at just over 25% of guide and this is for a book that always goes for multiples of guide.  I guess the fat lady still hasn't even started to warm up her voice, even though we have less than a week to go in terms of real time.  hm  :taptaptap:

31 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

:bump:

Decided to give this thread a bump here since it's now less than a week to the auction and there doesn't seem to be much discussion here so far.

I fianlly got around to going onto their site and was actually surprised at how tepid most of the prices still are at this point in time.  Wish the auction would end right now since I found a book that I have been hopping to snag for the longest while and it's still sitting at only around 15% of guide.  I bidded it up to something like under 25% of guide to become the highest bidder and it took a few hours, but some other bidder finally came in and topped it by one bid increment.  :slapfight:  :censored:

Well, still surprisingly low at just over 25% of guide and this is for a book that always goes for multiples of guide.  I guess the fat lady still hasn't even started to warm up her voice, even though we have less than a week to go in terms of real time.  hm  :taptaptap:

I wish I knew bidding patterns better. As a consignor in this, it’s hard to know how I’m tracking. I put in a number of things this time around, some I regret sending across. Keen to see how it shakes out. 

11 hours ago, BarristerBaker said:

I wish I knew bidding patterns better. As a consignor in this, it’s hard to know how I’m tracking. I put in a number of things this time around, some I regret sending across. Keen to see how it shakes out. 

Last auction I had big books at 50% of value with a week to go, and ended up around 110% of value by the time the gavel came down. 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

I got a bid in, wish it would finally close this evening!  These auctions last so long its almost intolerable - I've forgotten and remembered I have a bid in 3x now.

Also, I really dislike the fact that I can't filter on Golden Age.  Really makes reviewing all GA entries a pain.

Edited by path4play

45 minutes ago, october said:
1 hour ago, path4play said:

Also, I really dislike the fact that I can't filter on Golden Age.  Really makes reviewing all GA entries a pain.

Agreed. And how basic is that? Do they honestly not realize how often people collect by age?

:idea:  Well, if we complain long and hard enough, maybe they just might hear us and actually do something about it in the end.

Similar to our complaints about the extended lengths of their auctions and now they've finally cut them back by one whole week for this particular go round.  (thumbsu