• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,482 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2020 at 12:10 AM, Mr bla bla said:

I think of Kirbys dialogue as mythological. Its indeed in the style of wagnerian myth of the ‘Rheingold’ (the cycle of four operas).

My normal description is Kirby's dialogue makes everybody sound like Darkseid.  Which has its obvious down sides and problems... but is just about worth it because it's so perfect for Darkseid.

3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Where's invincible vol 3 compendium 

I've been thinking about getting a copy.  Vol 3 wasn't available at the time so I read them in TPB format instead.

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Does anyone have these?

• Absolute Crisis on Infinite Earths
  • Absolute Final Crisis
  • Absolute Identity Crisis
  • Absolute Infinite Crisis

If you do, please comment on how good, or bad or ugly they are. :)

I have Absolute COIE. 

Its great. Lots of extras from the creators, some extra pages from key moments in tie in books. I think it's one of the best done Absolutes. 
(there are also the COIE Compendiums that print in HC the various full tie in issues from the event)

Marvel released their next pre-order for November, and was thrilled to see this even if I disagree with their formatting. 

OHTMU.png.5726b8ba790dabc4e53705f9f61306b2.png

So a 1400 page omnibus is a behemoth, and I dont understand why they didnt split it up into two volumes so they could include the meaningful '89 Updates from the Update issues. 

I assume they arent going to do a second volume. I do wish they'd do updates to it since Marvel wasnt etched in stone back in 85-87, stuff has continued to happen!

1 minute ago, miraclemet said:

Marvel released their next pre-order for November, and was thrilled to see this even if I disagree with their formatting. 

So a 1400 page omnibus is a behemoth, and I dont understand why they didnt split it up into two volumes so they could include the meaningful '89 Updates from the Update issues. 

I assume they arent going to do a second volume. I do wish they'd do updates to it since Marvel wasnt etched in stone back in 85-87, stuff has continued to happen!

I thought about buying the earlier omnibus version on eBay. Wonder if I should get this instead?

11 minutes ago, piper said:

I thought about buying the earlier omnibus version on eBay. Wonder if I should get this instead?

this one? 

1203281192_oldohotmu.JPG.81c52511e78e09321a8521a335e11df7.JPG

This one is the one based on the '83 OHOTMU. It has all the main characters as of '83. But the Deluxe version (being reprinted in the other Omnibus) allowed for multiple pages of the main Marvel characters, while the older OHOTMU limited it to one page. I mean one page isnt enough just for Peter's romantic entanglements! 

50 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

I'm stoked about this one as well, and I agree 100%. 1400 pages is a wrist-breaker. Make it two volumes and include EVERYTHING. Oh well. I guess I'll have to be happy with what we get. Also very excited for DC's Who's Who collection.

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Does anyone have these?

• Absolute Crisis on Infinite Earths
  • Absolute Final Crisis
  • Absolute Identity Crisis
  • Absolute Infinite Crisis

If you do, please comment on how good, or bad or ugly they are. :)

They're all nice collections (I didn't get Identity Crisis), but ultimately sold COIE, Final Crisis and Infinite Crisis in favor of the omni's, because the omni's collect all of the related tie-ins, whereas the Absolutes mostly just have the specific series with a few extras. I think Final Crisis may have also included Superman Beyond? Can't recall. Infinite Crisis is one that greatly benefited from expansion in the Omni format, as it included all of the prequel miniseries and various tie-ins, which greatly enhances the story. On its own, Infinite Crisis is kinda meh. But as part of the huge tapestry of events and tie-ins, it's a very fun story.

As for presentation, they're all very nice, as you'd expet. COIE I considered keeping, just because I love the design of the slipcover and interior book, but ultimately let it go when I got the 12 volume HC set. 

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

They're all nice collections (I didn't get Identity Crisis), but ultimately sold COIE, Final Crisis and Infinite Crisis in favor of the omni's, because the omni's collect all of the related tie-ins, whereas the Absolutes mostly just have the specific series with a few extras. I think Final Crisis may have also included Superman Beyond? Can't recall. Infinite Crisis is one that greatly benefited from expansion in the Omni format, as it included all of the prequel miniseries and various tie-ins, which greatly enhances the story. On its own, Infinite Crisis is kinda meh. But as part of the huge tapestry of events and tie-ins, it's a very fun story.

As for presentation, they're all very nice, as you'd expet. COIE I considered keeping, just because I love the design of the slipcover and interior book, but ultimately let it go when I got the 12 volume HC set. 

I think I'm gonna go for the Final Crisis omnibus, instead. Thanks!

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

fair point, but man I LOVE seeing Perez's detail work in those big splashes in COIE  in the biggest size possisble (how great would an artist edition be?!?!?)

39 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

fair point, but man I LOVE seeing Perez's detail work in those big splashes in COIE  in the biggest size possisble (how great would an artist edition be?!?!?)

Yeah,  that's the main reason why I held onto that Absolute for a while. It's a very nice presentation of the art. But eventually I decided that I didn't need that many versions of the same story. Of the four Capra listed, I'd say that's the one to pick if you're going for the art angle.