• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,482 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Skunkboy said:

Wow really??? That's quite a recommendation, I'll have to check it out.  Haven't read much DC (ducks)

Its just my humble private opinion!

fair warning: Appreciation of late Kirby is an acquired taste. Its Not for everyone. 

Edited by Mr bla bla

3 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Its just my humble private opinion!

fair warning: Appreciation of late Kirby is an acquired taste. Its Not for everyone. 

Agreed. I'm a huge Kirby fan, and in my mind there's no question that Fourth World is his masterpiece. However, folks who are used to modern writing and storytelling may find the dialogue to be hokey. I get it. When I was a kid I chafed a bit at the melodramatic tone, but as I got older I came to recognize that it was absolutely essential. Jack didn't have the smooth patter of Funky Flashman, but he was telling a huge, bold story, so only something nearly operatic in stature would suit the work. What I found goofy as a kid I now think of as charming.

3 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Very true.  I read Devil Dinosaur in digital format, realised it was insanely brilliant, and then regretted passing on the Omnibus edition.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

Very true.  I read Devil Dinosaur in digital format, realised it was insanely brilliant, and then regretted passing on the Omnibus edition.

I picked up a run of Devil Dinosaur at DragonCon many many years ago for about $2 a piece. It's a personal favorite, as it's absolutely nuts, and so gorgeous. I was going to get this image as a tattoo, and may still get it one day. Went as far as getting it priced out by an artist, but then they left town and I never got around to finding another. It has to be JUST RIGHT.

I picked up the Omni when it was released, but true to form, I sold it when it went OOP. I don't cry over that one TOO much, as the individual issues are still pretty cheap and easy to get. But I'd definitely buy it again if they reprinted it.

26101888._SX540_.jpg

7 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Jack didn't have the smooth patter of Funky Flashman, but he was telling a huge, bold story, so only something nearly operatic in stature would suit the work. 

Operatic is a good description. Wagnerian. I tend to read Kirby's prose almost as metal lyrics; intense, completely in your face.  A great match to his art style.  I've never thought there was much intention of subtlety; just power and excitement.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Operatic is a good description. Wagnerian. I tend to read Kirby's prose almost as metal lyrics; intense, completely in your face.  A great match to his art style.  I've never thought there was much intention of subtlety; just power and excitement.

Yes, this is it precisely. The imagination and the imagery has so much power, only the most dramatic dialogue could possibly contain the intensity!

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

A classic Kirby double splash page.  Brilliant.

I know it's nigh heresy to say this considering his entire body of work, but I think that's my favorite DPS in the King's library. It's so bonkers, absolutely psychedlic.

Edited by F For Fake

1 hour ago, piper said:

I can’t stand the dialogue in Kirby’s Fourth World Books.

That’s fair enough.

As with the musical genre analogy I used, not everyone likes metal or heavy opera.

:smile:

5 hours ago, piper said:

I'm thinking of picking up the Roger Stern ASM Omnibus on eBay.

A great run. Stern started to get really good here.

On 8/12/2020 at 10:24 PM, F For Fake said:

Agreed. I'm a huge Kirby fan, and in my mind there's no question that Fourth World is his masterpiece. However, folks who are used to modern writing and storytelling may find the dialogue to be hokey. I get it. When I was a kid I chafed a bit at the melodramatic tone, but as I got older I came to recognize that it was absolutely essential. Jack didn't have the smooth patter of Funky Flashman, but he was telling a huge, bold story, so only something nearly operatic in stature would suit the work. What I found goofy as a kid I now think of as charming.

This ...

On 8/12/2020 at 10:36 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I think of Kirbys dialogue as mythological. Its indeed in the style of wagnerian myth of the ‘Rheingold’ (the cycle of four operas).

3 hours ago, Phantalien said:

Seems like they need to listen to Nightwish to get the best of both worlds

Hadn’t thought of that; symphonic metal.

I don’t listen to much of it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I pre-ordered the Silver Surfer Omnibus through Amazon and learned that it was canceled this morning. :censored:

Not a happy camper.