• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic artists dying early
1 1

79 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2022 at 9:59 AM, Bird said:

That was sad. Seth Fisher was a tough one too, just starting out but almost revolutionary. Fell off a freaking roof at a party in Japan.

I loved Happydale.

Dillon was remarkably young when he was drawing for MarvelUK, "Warrior", & "2000AD" in the early 80's, but wasn't a child then, which he would've been by my shoddy reckoning, sorry about that. 54 is better, but still way too young. 

I was looking at the 2004 Atomeka sketchbook (with Garry Leach covers, RIP) and was reminded by a tribute inside that to artist Martin Emond, who died by suicide at only 34.

Edited by jdandns

On 1/9/2019 at 8:10 AM, WeR138 said:

Don Newton. Love his work. Died at 49 from a heart attack.

This is the one that saddened me when I got back into collecting. His Batman art was the first I ever read and still arguably the best. Back when I was a kid I didn't pay much attention to the name of the artists when I was reading black & white Australian edition Federal reprints of Batman DC comics. As an adult I mistakenly assumed they were Neil Adams' books xD but when I searched through a list of Batman covers with a plan to buy the originals I was surprised to find an artist I hadn't heard of Don Newton was responsible for them. I think his premature death is probably the reason why he's been forgotten by many. See one of his covers below...

384686929_TEC526.jpg.46573fd2a6e44affe454c0f352286641.jpg

Interesting to read about comic artists dying early.    Definitely a trend with commercial illustrators as well.    The guys working in the 70s to 90s did a lot of airbrush and didn’t always wear masks or ventilate.    Quite a number passed fairly young as a result of cancer or other issues from inhaling all that.    

I'm not sure I agree that comic artists have a greater likelihood of dying early, but it was sad to read through this thread.  I was always amazed at how many artists I got to meet at shows well into their 90s. 

Bill Everett was another one who died in his 50s I believe. Allot of those old artists (Kirby included) smoked like chimneys. 

Baker had a heart defect that kept him out of WWII, but the did die tragically young. 

On 5/18/2022 at 6:05 AM, KCOComics said:

I'm not sure I agree that comic artists have a greater likelihood of dying early, but it was sad to read through this thread.  I was always amazed at how many artists I got to meet at shows well into their 90s. 

Bill Everett was another one who died in his 50s I believe. Allot of those old artists (Kirby included) smoked like chimneys. 

Baker had a heart defect that kept him out of WWII, but the did die tragically young. 

Yup, Wild Bill Everett died at 55 due to effects of prolonged alcoholism and excessive smoking

A lot of artists overindulge. It's the whole sex and drugs and rock and roll thing. If you don't get wasted, climb a building and your leather pants, you can't be an artist in some books. 

Very saddened to see a really excellent comic artist, John Paul Leon, died of cancer, at 49.

Always liked his work, right from his early days on Milestone's Static series, and then Earth X, Challengers of the Unknown, and X-Men.

A year ago, completely missed this.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Josh Medors was going to be one of the best. Cancer took him in 2012 at 36. I was fortunate enough to get a couple of commissions from him, including one that inspired the poster for the 2013 Cincinnati Comics Expo. I still have his original drawing; it's on the wall behind me as I type this. 

image.png.36f4c84454e24bb4be6f37b161bf95cf.png

On 1/6/2019 at 6:54 PM, the blob said:

I was think of buying a Dave Hoover page. He is affordable and I like his lines. So I looked him up to see what he is up to and he has been dead for 7 years, passing at age 56 or so. Then I looked up a bunch of others who were active in the 70s-90s and so many didn't make it to 70 it seems. Sure, you have your john romitas and Steve ditkos, but a lot of these guys don't live long. While there may be deadline stress and lousy (or no) health insurance, this isn't working in a coal mine or welding sky scrapers. Are my observations purely anecdotal? 

Yes.....comic book people die no younger or older than anyone else.....

On 5/29/2022 at 1:57 PM, Bob Troub said:

Yes.....comic book people die no younger or older than anyone else.....

There could be a degree of paranoia.

Reminds me a bit of this…

https://www.livescience.com/44297-king-tut-curse.html