• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

It doesn't look 'bad' but it doesn't look 'good' either.  This movie - I think - will succeed tremendously at the box office but it's still a niche cast of Marvel characters that the average comic-book movie-goer will likely forget about on the drive home.  I'm looking forward to it however I don't have expectations either way.

Edited by sagekilz

12 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

My small brain can’t get around this large concept of a movie 

Bit confused. Is Kitt Herrington's Black Knight an Eternal now or a liason btwn the Eternals and humankind?

Given that the Celestials will almost certainly be the origin story for mutants in the MCU then if we spend two hours delving into their designs on Earth and then see a post-credits scene teasing the product of their work being the X-Men then I'm guessing most of us will have plenty to think about on the drive home from the theatre.  :popcorn:

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

Bit confused. Is Kitt Herrington's Black Knight an Eternal now or a liason btwn the Eternals and humankind?

I thought the same thing at first. But then when I went back to watch it again, it just looked like Sersi meets the Dane Whitman/Black Knight and not that he was flying around like a member of the Eternals.

But time will tell with more reveals. 

1 hour ago, Muno42 said:

I look forward to the fancy writing to explain the Eternal's lack of effort even when there was a war waged at Avengers compound with Thanos' entire army.

This. It’s been 30 years, but didn’t they show up at the end of Infinity Gauntlet # 4? After all the usual superheroes had been defeated?

My favorite contradiction in the trailer is they have guided humanity for thousands years, but choice to remain hidden, isolated, and will only come forward when the threat is large enough.  I know that sentence is confusing, but so is the idea of guiding, but somehow not interfering.

1 hour ago, drotto said:

I know that sentence is confusing, but so is the idea of guiding, but somehow not interfering.

Sounds like the plot of every Star Trek episode where they were trying to help a pre-warp civilization without violating the Prime Directive.

Also - is Gemma Chan the first actor to play two different roles within the formal MCU?

She previously played Minn-Erva in Captain Marvel...

I mean sure...Chris Evans as Johnny Storm & Steve Rogers but just two years apart (three with the pandemic delay)?

6 hours ago, drotto said:

My favorite contradiction in the trailer is they have guided humanity for thousands years, but choice to remain hidden, isolated, and will only come forward when the threat is large enough.  I know that sentence is confusing, but so is the idea of guiding, but somehow not interfering.

Agreed. Surely guiding is interfering? 

And the scene where one of them creates water? That's interfering to me. 

Everybody is asking the same question...why didn't they intervene when Thanos went bananas.  I'm gonna put my theory in print in case I'm proven right...

-  One of Dr. Strange's scenario was getting help from the Eternals

-  The Eternals step in, beat Thanos, and possess the gauntlet

-  They then use the Infinity Gauntlet to take on the Celestials

-  The Celestials crew up, destroy the Eternals and wipe out mankind in the process

***I might be missing some important details but that's the gist of my theory

4 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Everybody is asking the same question...why didn't they intervene when Thanos went bananas.  I'm gonna put my theory in print in case I'm proven right...

-  One of Dr. Strange's scenario was getting help from the Eternals

-  The Eternals step in, beat Thanos, and possess the gauntlet

-  They then use the Infinity Gauntlet to take on the Celestials

-  The Celestials crew up, destroy the Eternals and wipe out mankind in the process

***I might be missing some important details but that's the gist of my theory

That would be quite the garbage story.

8 hours ago, nmtg9 said:

Agreed. Surely guiding is interfering? 

And the scene where one of them creates water? That's interfering to me. 

No, we are just not seeing the whole picture. It honestly sounded fine to me, and in fact pretty much basic screenwriting 101. 

It simply means they once were guiding/interfering (start of the movie) but then stopped for some reason. There might have been a very negative consequence to their interference that made them decide to stop doing so (this conflict is a perfect transition between Act 1 and 2 threshold), we then move into present day time where a new event forces them to regroup and rethink their original policy of non-interference again.

1 minute ago, Sauce Dog said:

It simply means they once were guiding/interfering (start of the movie) but then stopped for some reason. There might have been a very negative consequence to their interference that made them decide to stop doing so (this conflict is a perfect transition between Act 1 and 2 threshold), we then move into present day time where a new event forces them to regroup and rethink their original policy of non-interference again.

"The Eternal Thanos threatens half of all life. Should we reconsider our policy?"

"No. We can talk about it later."