• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

In the last decade I have never seen a trailer generate less buzz than The Eternals' teaser.

That's a bold statement to say the Eternals teaser is the least buzz generating teaser of the last decade. But maybe not as bold to say you have never seen one. I am curious to see if there is some buzz metric (internet chatter, online polls, repeated online trailer views and taking into account time before the movie's release, etc).

I mean, in a pandemic year, would you say the buzz for A Quiet Place II trailer from a month ago was greater than this the Eternals teaser which is still half a year away from release? In the end, what really matters is the final box office receipts. Some movies have made over 100 million from viral marketing alone while some movies have had the greatest marketing of all time and all the buzz in the world but fell flat at the box office once word of mouth got out that the movie was bad.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

That's a bold statement to say the Eternals teaser is the least buzz generating teaser of the last decade. But maybe not as bold to say you have never seen one...

I mean, in a pandemic year, would you say the buzz for A Quiet Place II trailer from a month ago was greater than this the Eternals teaser which is still half a year away from release? In the end, what really matters is the final box office receipts...

Neither of these statements make any sense.

I'm not going to compare an MCU trailer to another franchise's trailer. That would be completely irrelevant. In the end, this dud of a trailer will negatively effect The Eternals' box office success.

13 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I'm not going to compare an MCU trailer to another franchise's trailer. That would be completely irrelevant. In the end, this dud of a trailer will negatively effect The Eternals' box office success.

I thought you meant all movies.

Okay, in the MCU after Phase One, I would be interested to know how the buzz for initial teasers for generally "unknown" characters like Ant-Man, Dr Strange, Captain Marvel, and Guardians of the Galaxy compare to the initial buzz Eternals got from its teaser.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

...I would be interested to know how the buzz for initial teasers for generally "unknown" characters like Ant-Man, Dr Strange, Captain Marvel, and Guardians of the Galaxy compare to the initial buzz Eternals got from its teaser.

Ant-Man was a combination of dramatic sequences and humor. It was really well-received. Doctor Strange was a completely new concept introducing pure magic for the first time and drew tons of interest (and was constantly compared to Inception for its VFX sequences). GotG looked like pure comedy and had great music. Captain Marvel had some problems with publicity but the teaser itself was certainly interesting because of the Avengers sandwich, Marvel's first female-led film, and the cast.

The Eternals 'most interesting' aspect seems to be, "the Starks from GOT are in this!" GotG is definitely the closest comparable of the titles you've chosen. However, its teaser appropriately represented the fun that you would have while watching the film. If the Stark actors aren't a draw for me, what is the hook? The Avengers new leader gag line? Pass. "We've guided, but not interfered (LOL), until now (LOL)"? Pass.

5 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

When the "teaser" isn't interesting, it reduces the audience for your "First Official Trailer".

Agreed. I would like to have seen some incentive to watch the full trailer if I were a casual fan.  Opinions can be swayed with a good full trailer with some action scenes and a few good reveals. Teasers should be more enticing. especially for movie goers that arent hardcore comic fans. They should have given the teaser a bit more thought but im sure the end product will be good. 

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

It's too far out for the trailer have an impact on the final numbers.  Now if this was the final trailer and it was a few weeks from opening day then I'd agree but it's much too soon to have this dud of a trailer do much impact.

12 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

It's too far out for the trailer have an impact on the final numbers.  Now if this was the final trailer and it was a few weeks from opening day then I'd agree but it's much too soon to have this dud of a trailer do much impact.

I disagree. For example, the first Birds of Prey trailer turned me off from the entire project. I did not watch any subsequent trailers and I did not see the movie.

55 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I disagree. For example, the first Birds of Prey trailer turned me off from the entire project. I did not watch any subsequent trailers and I did not see the movie.

I think it will be incredibly difficult to not watch the subsequent Eternals trailers as the movie approaches.  I'm not saying the later trailers will be any better but I think most people will forget about this early trailer when deciding if they want to go watch the movie.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I think it will be incredibly difficult to not watch the subsequent Eternals trailers as the movie approaches.  I'm not saying the later trailers will be any better but I think most people will forget about this early trailer when deciding if they want to go watch the movie.

I do think no matter what people will check out the follow-on trailers as they will assume the teaser was just a one-off and just hang on for the ride.

Plus they have the foundational commercials before it to lean in on from Chanel.

the-eternals-marvel.gif.f0dbc91dc578e96c32d49eb29e12bdc7.gif

:popcorn:

9 hours ago, drotto said:

My general concern for the MCU remains how many people between Endgame and the pandemic have just moved past the MCU.  This teaser is not going to bring them back.

I also think if they really wanted to bring people back after Endgame, Shang Chi and The Eternals were not the right choices for the general audience. 

10 hours ago, drotto said:

My general concern for the MCU remains how many people between Endgame and the pandemic have just moved past the MCU.  This teaser is not going to bring them back.

?

Did you miss that both Wandavision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier had huge audiences?

Even if Black Widow is a huge miss (can't wait what the reactions on this board will be if it grosses less than Captain Marvel), it's *far* too early to pass judgment on The Eternals.

33 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

?

Did you miss that both Wandavision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier had huge audiences?

Even if Black Widow is a huge miss (can't wait what the reactions on this board will be if it grosses less than Captain Marvel), it's *far* too early to pass judgment on The Eternals.

Not at all.  We have no hard proof of how they actually did.  Streaming services (all of them) never show the public hard numbers, Disney can basically say what it wants. So, if the numbers are so massive, show me the actual views, and how many actually watched? If you look up the internet searches for both shows on Google trends, they are actually not that high.  Plus, they are behind a pay wall, where a large amount of fans will never see them. With more mainstream audiences, there seems to be a trend that 10 plus years and 20 plus films is enough.  Interest seems to be down.

From personal anecdotal evidence (I know not scientific), many people have not watched them.  I had problems finding people to discuss the shows with, and when I did the response was meh. They do not seem to have any staying power. 

10 minutes ago, drotto said:

From personal anecdotal evidence (I know not scientific), many people have not watched them.  I had problems finding people to discuss the shows with, and when I did the response was meh. They do not seem to have any staying power. 

Same here.

The few I know who saw Falcon and the Winter Soldier thought it was boring and didn't make it to the end.

Edited by D84

21 minutes ago, drotto said:

Yup. Nobody that I know really cares about the shows once they're over. The movies were an entirely different story; We could talk hours on-end about most of them.

So I know Google Trends is not scientific either, but it is a decent snapshot of what people are searching for on the internet. The green line is the Boys, the red line is the Mandalorian, the blue line is WandaVision, the yellow line is Falcon and Winter Soldier, and the purple line is Eternals. So base on this Mandalorian showed the most activity, followed by Wanda, and the Boys comes in third.  The Eternals teaser generated basically nothing. I tried to do a graph using Endgame and the resulting scale made everything else basically unreadable. 

Screenshot 2021-06-02 092412.png

Edited by drotto