• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2021 at 1:46 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Hang on, 'for her social activism.' Is that what you call 'cos she couldn't act for in her first full appearance'? And please don't respond, this is rhetorical, and there's no need to mess up another thread with your Captain Marvel carp.

You think I'm gonna let a "rhetorical" diss on Captain Marvel go unresponded? LOL. There's a current discussion in this thread about key book prices and their associated movie releases, and Captain Marvel is very relevant to the topic. So anyway...

Whatever anybody thought of the first Captain Marvel film and Brie Larson's acting wasn't that relevant to the prices of Carol Danvers' key books. The facts are that the hater train against Captain Marvel and Brie Larson started way before anyone saw her movie and had nothing to do with the quality of said movie which nobody had seen yet. It was an ideological war. That's why non-comic book sites like Brightbart even got in on the CM hate train. So when her movie finally released, and we discovered that the movie wasn't that bad, a middle-tier MCU film for most, and that the movie made over a billion dollars, there was a little relief and Captain Marvel's key books prices held and even went up a little.

After that, the anticipation for Captain Marvel was that she was going to be the savior of Endgame and be crucial to the film's plot. It turns out she wasn't that at all and only appeared in the beginning and at the end of the movie. That's when Captain Marvel's key books tanked in market value. I think the uneasiness about Captain Marvel created by the hate campaign against her also had an effect. A sentiment among some collectors now seemed to be that Carol Danvers would not have a major role in the MCU going forward. Heck, she might not even get a sequel. And even though we've learned she is clearly getting a sequel, that sentiment about Carol's MCU future might have been exacerbated by the fact the sequel's title is "The Marvels" and apparently no longer "Captain Marvel 2" as if Carol will be replaced by Monica Rambeau or Kamala Khan.

But of course Carol isn't going to be replaced and Brie Larson isn't going to be recast. We saw in WandaVision that Carol Danvers' world overlapped greatly with the series' overall story. Two more Disney+ shows, Ms Marvel and Secret Invasion, will tie in to Carol's sequel movie. Brie Larson has five movies left on her contract. Not only is Carol here to stay, but I'm reiterating that Carol Danvers will be an Avengers leader and have a central role in the MCU going forward. And already this is slowly being reflected in collector sentiment as her key books, MSH13, MM1, and Avenging Spider-Man 9 are all slowly rising in value again.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:24 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

I heard they are doing an episode of What If? based upon the Captain Marvel movie.  What If? Brie Larson could act.  Should be good...

What If...Brie Larson could act? In that reality, she would have won an Oscar for Best Actress in a Feature Film. Oh wait, that is THIS reality. What If somebody had  a brain?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47zip61t1mcfjlesqidy

On 8/22/2021 at 4:16 PM, MattTheDuck said:

If only it were true that once you won an Oscar, you were good in every movie you made thereafter, eh?  Or that winning an Oscar was based solely on your acting talent?  What a great world that would be.

An Oscar award means the Academy, made up of industry professionals and national film critics, democratically voted that the winner gave the best performance or did the best work for a particular project in that year. It's not based on overall talent and doesn't mean you'll get nominated every year after that. For 2015, the Academy simply voted that that Brie Larson gave the best performance in a feature film that year. It doesn't really mean anything else. Gwyneth Paltrow and Jennifer Lawrence each also won an Oscar for Best Actress but it doesn't mean they're going to give Oscar worthy performances in every movie they make. It also depends on the movie. However, if any actor wins an Oscar for Best Acting, it can probably be said that said actor can act.

On 8/22/2021 at 4:16 PM, MattTheDuck said:

If only it were true that once you won an Oscar, you were good in every movie you made thereafter, eh?  Or that winning an Oscar was based solely on your acting talent?  What a great world that would be.

Ask Cuba Gooding Jr. about that one.

On 8/23/2021 at 2:04 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

You think I'm gonna let a "rhetorical" diss on Captain Marvel go unresponded? LOL. There's a current discussion in this thread about key book prices and their associated movie releases, and Captain Marvel is very relevant to the topic. So anyway...

Whatever anybody thought of the first Captain Marvel film and Brie Larson's acting wasn't that relevant to the prices of Carol Danvers' key books. The facts are that the hater train against Captain Marvel and Brie Larson started way before anyone saw her movie and had nothing to do with the quality of said movie which nobody had seen yet. It was an ideological war. That's why non-comic book sites like Brightbart even got in on the CM hate train. So when her movie finally released, and we discovered that the movie wasn't that bad, a middle-tier MCU film for most, and that the movie made over a billion dollars, there was a little relief and Captain Marvel's key books prices held and even went up a little.

After that, the anticipation for Captain Marvel was that she was going to be the savior of Endgame and be crucial to the film's plot. It turns out she wasn't that at all and only appeared in the beginning and at the end of the movie. That's when Captain Marvel's key books tanked in market value. I think the uneasiness about Captain Marvel created by the hate campaign against her also had an effect. A sentiment among some collectors now seemed to be that Carol Danvers would not have a major role in the MCU going forward. Heck, she might not even get a sequel. And even though we've learned she is clearly getting a sequel, that sentiment about Carol's MCU future might have been exacerbated by the fact the sequel's title is "The Marvels" and apparently no longer "Captain Marvel 2" as if Carol will be replaced by Monica Rambeau or Kamala Khan.

But of course Carol isn't going to be replaced and Brie Larson isn't going to be recast. We saw in WandaVision that Carol Danvers' world overlapped greatly with the series' overall story. Two more Disney+ shows, Ms Marvel and Secret Invasion, will tie in to Carol's sequel movie. Brie Larson has five movies left on her contract. Not only is Carol here to stay, but I'm reiterating that Carol Danvers will be an Avengers leader and have a central role in the MCU going forward. And already this is slowly being reflected in collector sentiment as her key books, MSH13, MM1, and Avenging Spider-Man 9 are all slowly rising in value again.

So, where did you get this concrete info about Carol's MCU future from? You know, about being an Avenger leader and having a central role in the MCU going forward? What's your sources on both those bits of info? 

Because, you see, I was hyped for her film after Infinity War, the whole pager thing, then the more stuff we found out, the more afraid I became. 'The is the Fury where Nick loses his eye.... To an alien cat! It's played for comedy.' 'we find out the Avengers Project is name after her pilot tag, Avenger', stuff like that, had me thinking of Solo, where EVERYTHING on screen or mentioned had to be explained or fit in naturally. 

Then the film came out, and she was so damn flat I'm not even sure you could call it a performance. I was honestly a bit surprised Marvel hadn't recast this dumpsterfire halfway through, or at least had strong words to the director (but I guess they'd never had to before). I couldn't care less that she supported women's rights, or whatever it was. Women's rights deserve to be given deserve, this was solely about her acting, her crapting, if you will. 

Then finally, she did nothing to Endgame except deus ex machina at key points in time. Not exactly compelling character development. 

She's done nothing to make her likeable, other than if you're happy seeing her adapted for the silver screen. I'd be happy to see Warbird on screen. She had personality, but this Captain Marvel is Dead On Arrival. 

On 8/22/2021 at 5:02 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

So, where did you get this concrete info about Carol's MCU future from? You know, about being an Avenger leader and having a central role in the MCU going forward? What's your sources on both those bits of info? 

Because, you see, I was hyped for her film after Infinity War, the whole pager thing, then the more stuff we found out, the more afraid I became. 'The is the Fury where Nick loses his eye.... To an alien cat! It's played for comedy.' 'we find out the Avengers Project is name after her pilot tag, Avenger', stuff like that, had me thinking of Solo, where EVERYTHING on screen or mentioned had to be explained or fit in naturally. 

Then the film came out, and she was so damn flat I'm not even sure you could call it a performance. I was honestly a bit surprised Marvel hadn't recast this dumpsterfire halfway through, or at least had strong words to the director (but I guess they'd never had to before). I couldn't care less that she supported women's rights, or whatever it was. Women's rights deserve to be given deserve, this was solely about her acting, her crapting, if you will. 

Then finally, she did nothing to Endgame except deus ex machina at key points in time. Not exactly compelling character development. 

She's done nothing to make her likeable, other than if you're happy seeing her adapted for the silver screen. I'd be happy to see Warbird on screen. She had personality, but this Captain Marvel is Dead On Arrival. 

It's not concrete info. But my primary source is Kevin Feige himself who said back in 2018 that Captain Marvel is about to be at the forefront of the entire MCU. I'm still taking him at his word. The rest is from my observation. New MCU merchandise and tie-in marketing more and more now features Captain Marvel front and center. WandaVision established Carol's best friend Maria Rambeau as the founder of SWORD, the MCU's new SHIELD. Captain Marvel has the studios' name in her title. All this tells me that not only does Marvel/Disney not only want Captain Marvel at the head of the MCU, they're going to make it happen.

Just because a segment of the fanbase including yourself didn't like the first Captain Marvel movie doesn't mean Marvel Studios is going to change its game plan. I didn't like Captain America First Avenger when I first saw it. A lot of people didn't like it that much. Cap had to be the butt of Tony Stark's jokes in the first Avengers movie. But eventually Captain America was at the forefront of the MCU. Winter Soldier helped sway a lot of fans that Captain America was a respectable character.

Folks can doubt Danvers all they want, but I've got house money on Captain Marvel doing what Kevin Feige said is going to happen, that is, take the lead in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

On 8/22/2021 at 7:14 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

She can't even take the lead in her own sequel.  

First, you haven't seen the sequel.

Second, in practically every solo MCU film, they all end up being team-up movies anyway. In Phase Four so far, WandaVision was a team-up show. FWS was a team-up. Loki was a team-up of variant Lokis. They could have just called the show...The Lokis. Black Widow was a team-up of...The Black Widows. Looking forward, it seems every Phase Four project will also be a team-up. No Way Home looks to be a team-up the Spider-Men. Multiverse of Madness looks to be a team-up of the MCU's wizards and witches. Keeping with that pattern, The Marvels looks to be a team-up of every hero associated with...Captain Marvel.

Third, I don't mean the MCU is going to be called the Captain Marvel Cinematic Universe, just that she'll fill the leadership vacuum left by Tony Stark and Steve Rogers. She will take leadership of the new Avengers team and will play a central role in future Avengers films and appearances for at least the next ten years.

You haven't seen the sequel either, nor the entirety of the new phase, yet you're comfortable calling Carol the leader of the Avengers and all that, when she's.... not, at the moment. 

On 8/23/2021 at 6:57 AM, media_junkie said:

Ok, it has been a while since I saw GoTG Vol.2, but was Ego a Celestial?  I know he wasn't in the comics and I cannot remember if they stated he was in the movie.

Another example of where the MCU does not follow the comic book source material (like the Infinity Saga overall).

In the movie, Ego is a Celestial. In the comics, Ego the Living Planet is a bioverse (all parts of the planet make up a collective intelligent being).

Another deviation is that in the comics Thanos is a Deviant, but this trailer confirms that in the MCU he isn't.  They say that they only interfere in human affairs if Deviants are involved, so if Thanos were a Deviant then they would have fought him.

But I'm not sure if that makes sense overall anyway.  OK, they only act to protect humanity against Deviants.  What about protecting themselves from Thanos wiping half of them out with the Infinity stones?  THAT'S not a reason to help prevent him from doing what he's doing?  Didn't half of the Eternals get wiped out with the snap, too?  :taptaptap:

On 8/23/2021 at 9:56 AM, fantastic_four said:

Another deviation is that in the comics Thanos is a Deviant, but this trailer confirms that in the MCU he isn't.  They say that they only interfere in human affairs if Deviants are involved, so if Thanos were a Deviant then they would have fought him.

But I'm not sure if that makes sense overall anyway.  OK, they only act to protect humanity against Deviants.  What about protecting themselves from Thanos wiping half of them out with the Infinity stones?  THAT'S not a reason to help prevent him from doing what he's doing?  Didn't half of the Eternals get wiped out with the snap, too?  :taptaptap:

The "Thanos is an Eternal who looks like a Deviant" origin is a retcon from only the past 10 years. Before that, he was just considered a Titan. I think the MCU sticks with Thanos as a mad Titan and not an Eternal.

As for these MCU Eternals, they may not be the kind of lifeform that was susceptible to Thanos' Snap. Eternals were created by Celestials not to procreate and spread their progeny (the kind of life Thanos had a problem with) but rather to defend humankind against Deviants. The Eternals can't have kids, so they were not a threat to waste the universe's precious resources.

Plus, I think cosmic beings who are older than Thanos may not have been susceptible to Thanos' snap, either. Like, I don't think the Grandmaster or the Collector disappeared in the Snap. But that's just my theory.

Edited by @therealsilvermane