• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATED: My Nominee for the "First Great Comic Collector"
12 12

360 posts in this topic

I would be good with the following commentary on following linked site as my obit (a long time from now): https://sonofstuckfunky.com/2023/11/28/a-snails-pace/

My first Google journey on Wigransky, (born Sidney David Wigransky, Jr.) led quickly to the comic book collectors chat forum of the Certified Guaranty Company. There, an incredibly and wonderfully obsessed poster going by the handle ‘sfcityduck’ had already done all the hard work for me. He’d gone on a multi-year frenzy of fact-finding on the life of David Pace Wigransky and this post will really just be a belabored summation of his exhaustive work. I can’t reinvent the wheel when this man has already built an atomic superwheel capable of crushing millions. So sfcityduck, whoever you are, I salute you good sir. Here is a link to the forum thread itself. Come for the thesis level research on an obscure subject, stay for the typical forum slapfight.

Aside from the nice comment, read the link for the very good summation of the Wigransky story.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 2/22/2024 at 6:52 AM, Marty Mann said:

Pleased to see that DAVID WIGRANSKY and I were buying comics and entering contests at the same time.

IMGPEP60CONTEST(200dpi).thumb.jpg.c0fcdc7fb4ef21f79b19c412c1f8e612.jpg

Marty,

Always happy to see your posts!  But everytime I see that contest winners announcement, I want to start taking bets on which one you are. I hope that some day you will share in a bit more detail about your early comic collecting days. Of course, I love your thread - linked here for others: 

And if you ever want to cash in on your Pep 60, let me know because I'd love to have a copy associated with a winner of that contest. (My advice though is keep it in the family! What a great bit of family history!).

On 2/22/2024 at 4:41 PM, sfcityduck said:

Marty,

Always happy to see your posts!  But everytime I see that contest winners announcement, I want to start taking bets on which one you are. I hope that some day you will share in a bit more detail about your early comic collecting days. Of course, I love your thread - linked here for others: 

And if you ever want to cash in on your Pep 60, let me know because I'd love to have a copy associated with a winner of that contest. (My advice though is keep it in the family! What a great bit of family history!).

Thank you for your very kind words and link to my thread...which h I will have to update.

On 3/1/2024 at 11:01 AM, sfcityduck said:

Thank you for the offer, but my collecting days are over...TERRIFIC GROUP!

On 3/1/2024 at 8:01 AM, sfcityduck said:

Cool, I have never seen the 1 1/2” version (top right). Must be quite rare. Their estimate seems quite low. I have seen the larger first year version bring more than the top estimate alone.

Matesky had probably the best collection of GA superhero memorabilia I’ve ever seen. Many one of a kind pieces. He was really rabid in seeking it out. A cool guy to boot. 

On 2/20/2024 at 5:39 PM, sfcityduck said:

For any Wigransky fans out there - here's an opportunity (no affiliation to me and my copy is not for sale):

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31735993981&searchurl=kn%3Dwigransky%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1

md31735993981.jpg

Congrats to whoever snatched up the "Raising Hell" by Dave Jay for $750 on Biblio or ABE etc.!

Welcome to the club. 

On 3/13/2024 at 8:53 PM, sfcityduck said:

And good news for me, thanks to Kayo Books in SF, I was able to snag one of the 250 (numbered 80/250) Jolsonography books that Dave produced in 1969 (the year he died):

Al Jolson Jolsonography 1/250 Copies Dave Jay 1969 - Picture 1 of 9

It is crazy detailed. Including with pasted in xerox's of record labels:

Al Jolson Jolsonography 1/250 Copies Dave Jay 1969 - Picture 6 of 9

He definitely had a level of OCD that puts a lightweight like me to shame.

This book was definitely a major goal for him, all the more strange that after achieving it he committed suicide. Or maybe not.

Kayo Books is my favorite active bookstore even if I only get there about once a year, hopefully I'll be able to get there when I'm down in SF in May.  I wasn't able to during my visit last year because they were moving and not really set up for browsing. 

Posted (edited)

New and fascinating Wigransky discovery - a Wigransky Article from the Evening Starr of July 19, 1946: 

1710776157246blob.thumb.jpg.a70f6bb30e1f80429bd15b2427ef2c3e.jpg

1710776122218blob.thumb.jpg.1ae3184649896d1bd1f7d6bc23a28178.jpg

Here's what it says:

Here'Wigranskyblowup1945.png.44e8faca7095a3909b50fe1c5773bfb9.png

Here's what we learn:

* In 1946, Dave's collection was 1,240 comics. (It would number 5,000 to 6,000 two years later) and he'd joined and had pins for a bunch of comic clubs (remember he won a Pep comic as a member of the Shield club);

* He was amassing a "a complete set of the Fawcett publications" which he "never let any one else handle them, and I very seldom handle myself" - again, reinforcing that Dave was keeping his collection in top condition - and was looking for Master Comics 1 and 2 which "he heard about but not seen" which evidence he was in contact with other comic fans as was the fact that other young comic fans were coming to him with questions;

* The walls of his room were covered with "his own drawings of comic characters, photographs of admirals and generals and a few Varga girls" showing he had pretty normal WWII young teen boy attitudes;

* Dave was focused on "first editions [no. 1s] of comics books, especially valuable numbers in which new characters had appeared for the first time" showing Dave was focused on "keys" at that point;

* Dave believed that "comic books started in 1933"; 

* Dave had a pretty sophisticated opinion that comic quality dropped off in 1943 because of shrunken page counts, increased ads, and the best artists joining the military - this was clearly next level thinking for any comic fan in 1946;

* Dave used a "lecture tone" in reciting comic history (probably annoyed the reporter enough that he mentioned it);

*  His mom wanted him to become a Baptist preacher and was a little disturbed he was a comic fanatic (if only Wertham had known!); and

* Dave was advertising a service for researching comic and cartoon history at 5 cents a subject (which is what got him in the newspaper).

Amazing stuff!

My question: What was the first article about a comic collector?

Edited by sfcityduck

On 3/18/2024 at 12:11 PM, sfcityduck said:

*". . . and a few Varga girls" showing he had pretty normal WWII young teen boy attitudes;

*  His mom wanted him to become a Baptist preacher and was a little disturbed he was a comic fanatic (if only Wertham had known!)

He would have fit right in with Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggert.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/18/2024 at 12:11 PM, sfcityduck said:

New and fascinating Wigransky discovery - a Wigransky Article from the Evening Starr of July 19, 1946: 

Here's what we learn:

* In 1946, Dave's collection was 1,240 comics. (It would number 5,000 to 6,000 two years later) and he'd joined and had pins for a bunch of comic clubs (remember he won a Pep comic as a member of the Shield club);

* He was amassing a "a complete set of the Fawcett publications" which he "never let any one else handle them, and I very seldom handle myself" - again, reinforcing that Dave was keeping his collection in top condition - and was looking for Master Comics 1 and 2 which "he heard about but not seen" which evidence he was in contact with other comic fans as was the fact that other young comic fans were coming to him with questions;

This is really amazing. This article was around the same time that Action #100 was on the stands, so to have a collection of 1,200+ books (soon to be 5,000+) and be condition conscious of at least part of them at that age is remarkable. Same age as Jerry Bails, but obviously started researching long before him.

When the article mentions he is looking for the first two numbers of the Fawcett Publications, I wonder if he is already looking for Thrill/Flash #1?

On 3/20/2024 at 3:03 PM, Crowzilla said:

This is really amazing. This article was around the same time that Action #100 was on the stands, so to have a collection of 1,200+ books (soon to be 5,000+) and be condition conscious of at least part of them at that age is remarkable. Same age as Jerry Bails, but obviously started researching long before him.

When the article mentions he is looking for the first two numbers of the Fawcett Publications, I wonder if he is already looking for Thrill/Flash #1?

It is amazing! I feel like this thread has jaded folks a little about Dave. I don't know of an earlier article about a comic collector.

I would be shocked if he knew about Thrill 1 and Flash 1. But, he did live in D.C. and maybe the info was available in government records (LoC, copyright, trademark). Still, I was thinking he was looking for Whiz 1 (which didn't exist) and Slam Bang 1.

On 3/20/2024 at 10:42 PM, sfcityduck said:

I would be shocked if he knew about Thrill 1 and Flash 1. But, he did live in D.C. and maybe the info was available in government records (LoC, copyright, trademark). Still, I was thinking he was looking for Whiz 1 (which didn't exist) and Slam Bang 1.

I would (and wouldn't) be shocked also. But certainly the information about Thrill was out there for some reason - though I seem to remember that the Flash took everyone off guard when it was also found. Maybe Dave was the first person to research and then actively hunt for Thrill Comics #1.

I'm looking for some info on the dawn of original art collecting.  Posted this over on the original art thread. Please let me know if you have any of the requested info: