• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATED: My Nominee for the "First Great Comic Collector"
12 12

360 posts in this topic

Back on topic.  There was a mystery as to how Dave Wigransky died.  Whether he had an aneurysm, as some of his friends stated, or whether he'd committed suicide, as some documents indicated.  The sad answer is that Dave committed suicide.  Dave's best friend in the record collecting world was Maynard Bertolet.  Bertolet at one point had the largest record collection in the world. Bertolet penned a tribute to Dave in an Al Jolson Collectors publication titled "And a Heart to Think With." It is a heart breaking tribute. Just wanted to share a few outtakes:

image.png.ea9f66c04633d288ac38f78a91f377b8.png

image.thumb.png.6df7250931d188b0f0bade2213a0d17c.png

image.png.a64cd5cf35d797d9db3fc15ac234ce3d.png

On 8/10/2023 at 4:10 PM, sfcityduck said:

Mitch: I get it. You got roasted when you first showed up.  So did your longtime friend Theo (who sold me an item I greatly value - a comic rack from the Tower Drug that my Mom would have bought comics from as she lived in Land Park). So I get your sensitivity to apparent criticism. But, you are coming in a little forceful here. Might have been more tactfully handled by a PM. Because, after all, Bud did say: "I’ve run into Mitch years later, now that he’s into original art, and he seems like a perfectly nice guy."

Bud's coming at collecting history from a position where he was (1) a bit older than you, (2) it was his profession from a much earlier time and for a much longer time and in more roles than you, and (3) he has a different view of what constitutes the "early days of collecting" than you. As you know, collecting changed so much over the course of the 60s, that even a few years difference gives folks completely different experiences. Guys like Willits, Brown, and Olson had a different experience than you and Bud. Bud had a different experience than you and his opinions are going to reflect that. You had a much different experience than someone like me who only started collecting five years after you bought your first Action 1. So this is more of a time for discussion not aggression. Ironic probably coming from me because, as a litigator, I often come in too hot myself and get put on time out without realizing. Just want to keep this thread a friendly space.

Bud plant is not a expert on Mitchell J Mehdy on what I have done, who I have been with period. Bring it on Bud and we will debate who I am, and how the $1800 Action one purchase was a real purchase lets go,  Me being late to fandom....lets go. I do want to remind you Bud I thought you came into fandom when you looked at RBCC#44 April 1966 and as I recall you were born about 1952 and me Jan 1955  which made me 11 and you 14 and I did visit your original store back in 1968 called Seven Suns   and saw Frank Scadina  and  as well as other trips after you guys split up and each had a store as my parents were supportive about my comic book collecting, as they were avid Coin Collectors for many many years.

I agree about that you have an extensive early comic book store and convention attendance, OK. I get it...but back up what  you print...about other people...come on Bud Let's GO.

One other thing SF Duck, first he says I was a fraud and a late comer , then he says I am a "nice guy"....I got for news for you...he  is wrong on everything.

Thank you SFduck for your concern.

Edited by Mmehdy

Wow, Mitch. I apologize for seemingly belittleling your comics career. But I don’t think I needed to get lambasted quite so seriously for itl You’re enough to drive me off the message boards, in my first time posting anything! Two flaming retorts to a couple lines I wrote?

I remember the whole national media thing over yours and Theo’s (I thought it was mostly Theo) just seemeda little strange and suspicious to us fans in my area. But that’s the opinion of a very young collector, as I was at the time. And I will admit there might be some envy or jealosy on my part, and/or my buddies part, as clearly Theo had a more money than any of us had. 

I greatly appreciate sfcityduck for coming to my defense. Michelle Nolan told me once “Sorry is not good enough”. Mitch, I hope you don’t have the same attitude and can accept my apology for stirring up a real hornet’s nest with you. Sorry I brought it up.

I don’t know yours and Theo’s story, I just know that in my fandom experience, pretty much full time since 1970, I wasn’t aware of you or of Theo byond that one big media event. I have interacted with publishers, fair promoters, dealers, and collectors, people I’ve worked with or known of for decades, across the country, not just in the Bay Area. My impression may have been totally wrong, it was just an opinion. Not sure what “book” you are talking about. Unlike Beerbohm, I’m not writing any fandom histories. I was just responding to a statement someone made in this chat room. 

I hope we can move on to more interesting topics now.

On 8/11/2023 at 2:24 PM, Bud Plant said:

Wow, Mitch. I apologize for seemingly belittleling your comics career. But I don’t think I needed to get lambasted quite so seriously for itl You’re enough to drive me off the message boards, in my first time posting anything! Two flaming retorts to a couple lines I wrote?

I remember the whole national media thing over yours and Theo’s (I thought it was mostly Theo) just seemeda little strange and suspicious to us fans in my area. But that’s the opinion of a very young collector, as I was at the time. And I will admit there might be some envy or jealosy on my part, and/or my buddies part, as clearly Theo had a more money than any of us had. 

I greatly appreciate sfcityduck for coming to my defense. Michelle Nolan told me once “Sorry is not good enough”. Mitch, I hope you don’t have the same attitude and can accept my apology for stirring up a real hornet’s nest with you. Sorry I brought it up.

I don’t know yours and Theo’s story, I just know that in my fandom experience, pretty much full time since 1970, I wasn’t aware of you or of Theo byond that one big media event. I have interacted with publishers, fair promoters, dealers, and collectors, people I’ve worked with or known of for decades, across the country, not just in the Bay Area. My impression may have been totally wrong, it was just an opinion. Not sure what “book” you are talking about. Unlike Beerbohm, I’m not writing any fandom histories. I was just responding to a statement someone made in this chat room. 

I am glad you decided to swim rather than sink.

I fully accept your apology, thank you.

Welcome to the boards!!!! 

Back on topic.  I spoke with a friend of Dave's who visited him in 1967. Consistent with the RBCC ad, Dave's friend confirmed the comic collection was sold before 1967. Here are a few things he shared with me.

When I visited Dave at his home my girlfriend (now my wife of 50 years) joined me that day, and I just asked her tonight if she remembers anything about comic books or cartoon art in Dave’s home that day. Her answer agrees with mine—no.

Your point —how or why did he move from that passion into one involving the life and career of Al Jolson—is beyond my answering for you (or for me). During the years I knew him, he was TOTALLY obsessed with Jolson. His living room included a huge, beautifully lit, photo of Jolson—probably 3 feet by 3 feet long—which was the first thing to be seen in the house. No comics, no cartoons --nothing at all except Jolson throughout. His basement/museum included hundreds (literally) of framed 8X10 photos from Jolson;s films, lining every inch of each wall.  Again…no comics, no cartoons—nothing but Jolson.

Now I have one of the largest Jolson collections in the country—my wonderful “hobby” since 1960—BUT—I have wonderful loving family, wife, kids, grandkids, etc.—the whole nine yards. The Jolson thing, so very important to me, stays where it belongs—as a wonderful hobby, NOT as a life.

His passion for comic books evolved into a passion for Al Jolson, ‘way beyond what you or I would consider "normal” boundaries.

No, I never discussed anything about his comic passion. Until today, I knew nothing about it! 

Dave was always clever, funny, and opinionated. When LBJ was president, during the height of the Vietnam war, Dave sent me a letter one day with a stamp in front of the envelope, a common one, back in 1968 or so, which read “Let’s Get behind The President!” And Dave then wrote next to that, on the front of the envelope—“So we can kick him in the .” That was Dave. Always outrageous, always in your face. 

But nothing about comic books. Which is very interesting, because at about the same time I was a comic book collector. Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel (Fawcett from the 40’s and early 50”s)—the usual. I had A huge comic collection, but when I married and left my house, I told my Mom to go ahead and throw them all out, since I was now “a grown-up married man.”  And she did so. I’m sure you’ve heard this kind of story before.

So Dave Jay (the “Jay” if for “Jolson”) remains an enigma to me, 50 years after his death. One of a kind for sure.

The highlighted portion of what he told me makes me sad as a comic collector. These men shared a passion that they never discussed.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/11/2023 at 4:24 PM, Bud Plant said:

WTTB! 

Misunderstandings happen. You and Mitch are both foundational icons in the collecting community.  And to be sure I'm covering all the bases ...and don't leave the Astros out... so is the tall Texan from Houston (he's the Bedrock of the community in a different foundational sense). Sorry that I missed these additions to this thread Thursday, otherwise I'd have added my meager 2 cents earlier. 

Very happy to see you here, Bud.   :headbang:

Cheers, Cat :cheers:

On 8/9/2023 at 8:03 PM, Bud Plant said:

I think I managed to get onto this thread, we’ll see. Marc at House of Comics introduced me, since I met sfcityduck at the Berkeley Comic Show last weekend, introduced by Steve Duin who had just visited me in Grass Valley last week.

Wow, I spent the last two evenings doing through this thread about Dave W. Just amazing stuff. And the capper, that Russ Cochran bought his EC collection. The wheel comes around. Nice work sfcity…I guess I don’t use your real name?

Hey, hello to Leonard Rifas, old friend. It’s been a long time.

Now, about Barry Bauman, since he came up…Michelle Nolan drove us teen-agers (John Barrett, Jim Buser, maybe MR. Swan) up to see Barry for the first time in early 1966, from San Jose to Oakland. Barry had all his comics in an attic at his folks house. He had a table with the best of the best laid out face up; the one and only book I remember was Action #1, which he wanted $400 for. Of course, as you guys noted, $400 to a kid (I was 14 in ‘66) was a fortune. In fact, fellow San Jose collector, teacher Rudi Franke (Voice of Comicdom, which published some of the earliest Richard Corben work) sold HIS complete EC collection to one of the San Jose boys, Tom Tallmon, for $600 not terribly long after that. Not mint like Dave’s, just good readable copies in say VG to Fine probably at best.

Again, an impossible amount, but Tom was a little older than I was and had a job. We all bought bits and pieces of it from Tom, since we all collected EC’s along with our particular specialtys: mine was Quality, John’s MLJ, Jim’s DC, Michelle’s Nedor. We always gave her a hard time about Nedors, back when they were considere the Charlton of the 1940s, the bottom of the barrel.

Anyway, Barry had scored his huge lot of Golden Age from the Liberty Book Store in Sacramento, if I have the name right. There was another long-lived bookstore there, Beer’s Books, but I think it was Liberty. And sadly, yes, he died in a car crash driving his elderly Corvette north on Highway 101, just before or after his 50th birthday. Barry is a story himself; he may have never had a social security card, so he avoided the draft and lived off the grid. He made quite the living quietly bringing grass in from Mexico in those very early days; I think he’s been gone long enough for that to come out. Nuff said. He drove back from one of the Sueling Cons with us around 1971 or 1972, and yes, I don’t know of his collection per se, if he even had one, burning up. That probably was Lucas and/or Ted Dang, who also lived in Oakland. Lucas resurfaced a few years ago, he’d been a bank president. Comics still show up with their stamp on the first page….

The times we went to see Barry, he was selling comic book bags (which we had not seen before) for .03 cents each, so we’d buy several for our new acquisitions. I was collecting Quality Comics group…not sure what else I bought, but I was buying Blackhawk Quality-era issues for $1 or $2 each. Fortunately, I have journals I kept from 1964 to around 1971, so I have an amazing amount of details about the comics I was acquiring at the time, and events around our opening Seven Sons Comic Shop in 1968, and Comic World in 1969. The journals were gone by the time Comics & Comix started in 1972. John Barrett had been one of the first collectors I met in 1965, and we were partners in both the previous stores. We two came up with the idea for opening C&C on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley. An, please don’t hold it against me, we took on Bob Beerbohm as a partner when his car blew up on the way back to Nebraska and he decided to join us instead of going back to college. Worst decision we ever made. Bob continues to claim to have started C&C. In a way, that’s true, he was there from nearly the beginning. But it was John and I who came up with the location, the starting money, and the manpower to get it rented and off the ground—no matter what Bob says. I’m persona non grata with Bob like most of the rest of mankind, which suits me fine. On to other topics.

Let me see if anyone read this…it’s certainly an fun thread, enough to finally get me into these boards…..I’ll check out some of the others you guys recommended when time allows.

Oh, and Mitch and Theo Holstein…I can’t give much credit to them for anything more than publicity for spending the most money, up until then, on a comic. What I remember is the whole thing may have been made up for the sake of getting the local paper, and the,the national wire services, to pick it up as a story…all so that some more comics might come their way. I’ve run into Mitch years later, now that he’s into original art, and he seems like a perfectly nice guy. But I would not give either gentleman a lot of credence as “early collectors,” as someone earlier in this thread had put out there. They were Johnny-come-latelys in my book, with little involvement in the early days of collecting, fan publishing, and going to comic shows like the rest of us were doing. 

I knew Bauman back in the day, Spent some good times at his mom's house in Oakland looking through comics.

@Bud Plant Howdy Bud! So great to have you with us. Don’t let anyone get under your skin. The GA forum is the best place here. This is the place to share and discuss GA comics. Occasionally, things get off track sadly. Please continue to read and post here. Us geezers from the dawn of collecting are a fading breed. We would love to have folks with some miles on us to relate our experiences! 

On 8/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, Robot Man said:

Come on Mitch. Your claim to fame is that you at one time, overpaid more than anyone for a funny book. Were you smart or visionary to do so? Maybe. But how else have you (or I even) done much to change, influence or push the hobby forward? Hell, you talk the talk and pimp your agenda but I have yet to see you ever post a book it piece of art. Your prerogative and I respect that. But to jump a real innovator and well respected figure in the hobby is just wrong. We need folks like us and Bud here to relate the history of our hobby to the ones who come after us.

My 2 cents…

Mitch and Bud have apparently achieved detente so I think we can move on from that since they have. I am less interested in debates on who moved the hobby forward the most than in all the stories that show how folks in their various ways contributed to moving the hobby forward. I really look forward to Bud’s stories, but I am interested in everyone’s stories. I have enjoyed your’s and Mitch’s stories. I am just grateful for whatever does get passed on. 

On 8/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, Robot Man said:

Come on Mitch. Your claim to fame is that you at one time, overpaid more than anyone for a funny book. Were you smart or visionary to do so? Maybe. But how else have you (or I even) done much to change, influence or push the hobby forward? Hell, you talk the talk and pimp your agenda but I have yet to see you ever post a book it piece of art. Your prerogative and I respect that. But to jump a real innovator and well respected figure in the hobby is just wrong. We need folks like us and Bud here to relate the history of our hobby to the ones who come after us.

My 2 cents…

Robo this is not about who did more or who has the biggest…..

All boards members  here have a right to defend themselves when necessary and  can correct to the record accordingly . I thought we were past these issues  to which Bud has correctly apologized for . In case you failed to read above …we are done and both of us has moved on. Robo…Bud can take care of himself as he has shown above. I welcome him as a positive addition to these boards.

what exactly is the your purpose in retreading a disagreement which has been settled here satisfactorily to both parties.

why are you attempting to do what you are criticizing me for. Jumping on me and my “pimp”ed agenda because I corrected Bud ‘s personal attack on my collector life and transactional history in which the record has been set straight. This is contradictory on it’s face.

Just because you have never invited to my house, my safe deposit box, or the fact that I chose to not show off what I own is a private choice that I have made which comes from very early in my collecting days. I believe you can post on these boards and still have some of your  life and collection private. I appreciate you posting your collection… but that is your choice and I would  assume 90% of this board does not post what they own and describe how they acquired it.

I don’t know if you are just trying to get some knee jerk reaction from me?

I do not “jump” on anyone Robo like  a LA gang member  during a takedown robbery. Nor am I waiting in the shadows to mug fellow board members who occasionally cross the line. My response to Bud was out the respect I have for him as an important figure in the birth of the comic collecting world. Because Bud said it… it had to be addressed immediately and firmly  to establish the truth. Simple as that. I thought Buds reply has satisfactorily ended it. Apparently you do not!

In terms of who did more is not at issue here Robo. When you post … you have the possibility that you are going to get some bounce back…. Sink or swim….Bud decided to swim and I thanked for that.

I am prepared to move on from the Pimp comment… now the question is are you…if not bring it on.

Your unnecessary attack is exactly that…. Unnecessary!

Edited by Mmehdy

On 8/12/2023 at 10:27 AM, Robot Man said:

My 2 cents…

If Mitch had done nothing besides accidentally drawing national attention to comic values, that would be something, but there was more vision to his purchase since both he and Theo agreed to this price which caught the public eye when he was featured on Tom Snyder's Tomorrow program.  Was he featured on a national TV news show as a novelty interview because the idea of a high school kid paying so much for a comic was unheard of at the time and considered crazy by the general public? Perhaps, but the attention his purchase drew to the hobby is inestimable. While it's arguable that the hobby would've grown and developed independent of this the recognition did put things on a faster track. Prices started changing and we now have a billion dollar investment hobby with no end in sight.

I've had the good fortune to spend time with Mitch and see some of his collection. He took my late wife and I out to dinner a couple of times in San Diego during SDCC visits. He helped me make a valuable collecting connection with Theo Holstein, who's a very aloof, savvy collector/dealer, that allowed me to broker a couple of deals that would've been impossible otherwise. 

Bud is a friend and one of the first people I got to know outside of Oklahoma fandom, simply via a fluke since I met Jerry Weist first having become acquainted through his Squa Tront semi-prozine earlier.  We both hung out in Jerry's "suite" that weekend at the motel ...I'm thinking it was a Trade Winds... that hosted HoustonCon. His second floor room was ideally situated to get back and forth from the dealer's room so we spent a lot of time using his room as a base of operations discussing collecting interests and getting to know each other. I made some very good friends that weekend who've lasted a lifetime.

PS: Interesting timing, it looks like Elvis is in the building! (Hi, Mitch!)  :headbang:

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale; more ale!