• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WHAT IF ...? ANIMATED SERIES (2021)
5 5

424 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2023 at 2:12 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Or maybe just turn off more viewers.

Or maybe just turn off the represented parties who are unhappy the MCU's been half-baked in their name.    

On 12/24/2023 at 2:00 PM, Silver Surfer said:

I have seen any of season 2 yet but with 3 shows released and no commentary here for days I’m guessing that is is another smashing success?

Been busy leading up to Christmas. I plan to watch this in 2-3 days’ time.

On 12/24/2023 at 4:00 PM, Silver Surfer said:

I have seen any of season 2 yet but with 3 shows released and no commentary here for days I’m guessing that is is another smashing success?

• Episode 1 - Nebula and the Nova Corpors was decent. But more rehash then something earth-shattering in the way of change.
  • Episode 2- Peter Quill coming under the control of Ego and attacking Earth - again a decent episode with a mix of period characters throughout the MCU history.

I need to see how Episode 3 turns out.

On 12/24/2023 at 5:19 PM, Bosco685 said:
  • Episode 1 - Nebula and the Nova Corpors was decent. But more rehash then something earth-shattering in the way of change.
  • Episode 2- Peter Quill coming under the control of Ego and attacking Earth - again a decent episode with a mix of period characters throughout the MCU history.

I need to see how Episode 3 turns out.

Ep 3 is the best one thus far IMHO and honestly not that impressed with any ep yet compared to season 1.

On 12/25/2023 at 4:57 AM, s-man said:

Ep 3 is the best one thus far IMHO and honestly not that impressed with any ep yet compared to season 1.

They definitely had fun with Episode 3 as part of the Holidays spirit. But finally making Happy Hogan as the big savior gives the character the payoff he craved.

Edited by Bosco685

Saw the first four episodes.  Episode 3 was the most fun if you like Die Hard.     In Episode 4, Taika Waititi's Korg made me laugh out loud.  I am interested to see how these episodes will be tied together as the characters were in the first season. 

On 12/27/2023 at 11:00 AM, sd2416 said:

So far 1/4 have been good..  The Sharon Carter episode has been the best.  The other three I feel I could have done something better with that 1.5 hours.  

I’m in the same camp. The best episode so far was the Sharon Carter Episode. 

On 12/28/2023 at 6:21 AM, piper said:
On 12/28/2023 at 5:00 AM, sd2416 said:

So far 1/4 have been good..  The Sharon Carter episode has been the best.  The other three I feel I could have done something better with that 1.5 hours.  

I’m in the same camp. The best episode so far was the Sharon Carter Episode. 

I'm sitting on 1/5 I actually enjoyed.

The Sharon Carter episode was the best, but somehow lacked the x factor to the story line.   There was no emotional buy in from me, something was missing.

The 2nd series is sitting on a solid 6/10 so far.   

The Kahhori episode was good, but has zero relevance to the MCU, so it's a big fat (shrug)

Episode 4 just felt like too much of a rehash of Thor: Ragnarok with some changes.

Episode 5 at least brought something new to the game building upon the Captain Carter Season One story. And a sadness to it too with Steve Rogers.

On 12/28/2023 at 8:19 AM, Rodey said:

Wow. I totally forgot this came out!

Based on the buzz on the street so did a LOT of other people.  I've not watched any of it yet (working my way thru Season 2 of Reacher)

I should have came into the this thread years ago. Once I would have read that all the What If stories are based on MCU movies I wouldn't have even wasted the time I did on the first two episodes. I really had to slog my way through the 2nd episode. 

Easy way to tell interesting using the vast Marvel Comics Universe. Instead it's more MCU. No wonder the saturation has caught up to Disney. No sure how this show gets so much love on these boards but it's trash compared to the majority of Marvel cartoons of the past 30 years.

On 12/28/2023 at 8:33 AM, Mephisto said:

I should have came into the this thread years ago. Once I would have read that all the What If stories are based on MCU movies I wouldn't have even wasted the time I did on the first two episodes. I really had to slog my way through the 2nd episode. 

Easy way to tell interesting using the vast Marvel Comics Universe. Instead it's more MCU. No wonder the saturation has caught up to Disney. No sure how this show gets so much love on these boards but it's trash compared to the majority of Marvel cartoons of the past 30 years.

I still hold my X-Men Vol. 1-5 DVDs close in my collection, and watch them from time to time to remind myself how great these were. At least looking forward to X-Men '97 with hope this stays far away from the MCU modern material.

:headbang:

On 12/28/2023 at 8:33 AM, Mephisto said:

Easy way to tell interesting using the vast Marvel Comics Universe. Instead it's more MCU.

Yep, although I don't think of "more MCU" as pejorative the way you appear to mean it.

I've only seen the first episode so far, but the list of episodes doesn't have a single concept that sounds interesting.  Even season 1 had more interesting concepts than what's been released so far for season 2.  The comic What If was like this as well--some were interesting ideas, most weren't.  But with the MCU there isn't NEARLY as much content to draw from, so the story concepts really sound like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel on ideas.  Nothing approaching anything close to "What If Wolverine Killed the Hulk" or "What If Spider-Man Jointed the Fantastic Four" in season 2 so far.

Having said that I did enjoy episode 1 so I'll keep watching even if looking over the episodes list doesn't make me want to.  (shrug)