• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WHAT IF ...? ANIMATED SERIES (2021)
5 5

424 posts in this topic

On 9/22/2021 at 7:05 PM, gadzukes said:

I think I've figured this out..... this was NOT the 7th episode of Marvel's "What If?"..... this was the 1st episode of Marvel's "Not Brand Ecch".

I get the joke, but still, not really. Party pooper, I know.

While this episode did feature a humorous variant of the Thor we know and love, the other featured players for the most part, that is, Jane Foster, Marcy, Frigga, Captain Marvel, Nick Fury, and Maria Hill, were all pretty much the same characters from our universe.

The Black Panther episode probably featured more humorous variants including Ravagers who steal for altruistic reasons and a Thanos who changed his mind about wiping out half the universe.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

The Killmonger episode did terrific work exploiting racial conflict, today's hot topic, for commercial success. Stan would be proud.

The Thor episode was my favorite thus far. A big time beat 'em up between the two heavy hitters, a likable Jane Foster, & Howard the Duck! 

I just finished the Killmonger episode and it was pretty bad.  I didn't mind the Dr Strange and Zombie episodes but in general I'm not digging the format of this show.  It isn't terrible but it just keeps getting pushed back behind other better shows.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:06 AM, 1Cool said:

I just finished the Killmonger episode and it was pretty bad.  I didn't mind the Dr Strange and Zombie episodes but in general I'm not digging the format of this show.  It isn't terrible but it just keeps getting pushed back behind other better shows.

I wouldn't say the episodes are bad, but the format means each episode stands alone on its own and there's no overarching plot/narrative to excite me for future episodes.  It's the same problem I had with Black Mirror.  While some of those episodes were good individually, I much preferred a show with consistent character development because I then become attached to the outcome of a story.  I guess it's great if you don't want something heavy or want to invest time into binge watching a full series, but in general, I find these types of shows less engaging.

While I've seen all episodes so far, except for the new one this week which I'll watch over the weekend, my initial hope was they would pull some stories from the comic book series which had some great What if stories. Realizing these are "MCU" What ifs, I find they are good so far for what they are but none have really floored me or hoped that this "What If" was the "reality" rather than a "What if" scenario. 

On 9/23/2021 at 5:28 AM, TupennyConan said:

The Killmonger episode did terrific work exploiting racial conflict, today's hot topic, for commercial success. Stan would be proud.

The Thor episode was my favorite thus far. A big time beat 'em up between the two heavy hitters, a likable Jane Foster, & Howard the Duck! 

I really wish Ike would keep his perverse politics out of our comics :(

Now that was an interesting story. And Marvel Studios being a franchise-building beast, naturally it links some of the What If stories together.

Episode 8: "What if… Ultron won?"

• Jeffrey Wright - The Watcher
  • Benedict Cumberbatch - Doctor Strange/Strange Supreme
  • Jeremy Renner - Clint Barton/Hawkeye
  • Lake Bell - Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
  • Ross Marquand - Ultron
  • Josh Keaton - Steve Rogers/Captain America
  • Mick Wingart - Tony Stark/Iron Man
  • Alexandra Daniels - Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel
  • Toby Jones - Arnim Zola

We will most probably see this continue.

Okay, that episode just pole-vaulted itself over my previous fav episode (4). Multi-verse eggs, Uatu gets busy, and yet another surprise ending with Strange Supreme in ... where the heck is that? Is that the place from What If Episode 4? Potential connections to the 'Death of Doctor Strange' story arc? (issue 1 just released last week, cover below; also, issue 4 cover, coming in December)

DeathOfDoctorStrange1.JPG

DeathOfDoctorStrange.JPG