• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WHAT IF ...? ANIMATED SERIES (2021)
5 5

424 posts in this topic

Hadn't seen episodes 8 and 9 when I posted above, but episode 8 sounds interesting.  I enjoyed those 1602 comics, so I'm all in on an MCU version.

Edited by fantastic_four

The Hela Episode was entertaining.

I did like the episode with the Tesserect falling to Earth during Spanish colonization and the "other world" it created.  There have been a few hints of this season's direction leading us to Marvel's 1602 by Neil Gaimen especially with Peggy Carter slipping back through what appears to be a Nick Fury of that time period. 

I'm at episode five and I have really liked every episode so far. I really enjoyed the opener with Nebula being a futuristic private detective. I think her character is easily expandable (a credit to Marvel for making her interesting in a way the comics-version always left me bored). I would absolutely love to see a solo stand-alone Nebula show (not that one would ever be made).

The Die Hard homage was also pretty hilarious. Fun to see Happy front-and-center on a show.

On 12/29/2023 at 11:47 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm at episode five and I have really liked every episode so far. I really enjoyed the opener with Nebula being a futuristic private detective. I think her character is easily expandable (a credit to Marvel for making her interesting in a way the comics-version always left me bored). I would absolutely love to see a solo stand-alone Nebula show (not that one would ever be made).

The Die Hard homage was also pretty hilarious. Fun to see Happy front-and-center on a show.

lost_complaints.gif.967e02d2363c4791a0c54e5e5f0c3dd3.gif

On 12/30/2023 at 8:41 AM, Silver Surfer said:

So I’m just picking shows randomly and I decided on the Hela episode since I’m a big Thor fan. Not sure about the plot line on that one.

Agreed. but episode 7, and 8 represent an upswing in the quality of writing, so I'm not dissecting it too much at this point.

So just a Dr Strange episode to go to tie them all together.   

I've enjoying the Captain Carter recurring theme.  Her character was particularly well portrayed in the first season.    So much so I went. back watched the Agent Carter series.   It looks like gold compared Disney's efforts lately. 

Just finished watching season 2.  Thought it was enjoyable but liked the first season better.

2 best lines of the season:

Ep 4 - Tony Stark:  "Thanks for the tip, Mt. Rushmore."

Ep 8 - Hulk:  "Hulk smash thee!"

Episode 7 with Hela and Xu/The Ten Rings was a step up for the show. 

The 1602 episode (08) was good. Though multiverse again where

Spoiler

Steve Rogers travel through time due to striking the Time Stone on the Infinity Gauntlet travelling to the world of 1602.

Though seeing that Peggy knows The Watcher is speaking and able to engage with him eliminates his mystery as part of the show concept. 

Episode 9 with Strange Supreme and many elements from The Infinity Saga is a culmination of the What If series to date and the MCU as a whole. Which gets a little messy story-wise as viewers would have to piece this all together from their experiences (or lack there of if you missed parts of the Grand adventure). Including

Spoiler

a Killmonger Infinity Stone-encrusted suit which then transfers to Peggy Carter to combat Strange Supreme. And now fitting in Kahhori to make her relevant to the overall story with multi-powers making her a Native American Mary Sue due to the Tesseract.

Peggy Carter transferred to The Watcher dimension and back to her world/timeline was anticlimactic for me. Like "All done now - back to normal" without a go-forward point of purpose.

I love the art throughout though. I like how that has been a consistent strong point.

On 12/30/2023 at 2:40 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Watched episode #1 with Nebula, just okay. Might try episode #9 later. 

It was decent. When they made the show I was hoping it would be more like a absolutely different situational "What If" type episode not relating to the others but all in all not too bad. Can't really complain about something I enjoy watching with the movies they've released lately lol

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

Very much enjoyed Episode 9.  Captain Carter has been very entertaining and it's nice to see Hailey Atwell voice the animated role as well.   The new character of Kahhori is actually pretty well done too.   How powerful though is Deal with the Devil Strange btw?  Even with the artifacts thrown to Carter and Kahhori, Strange was still a tough opponent. 

On 12/30/2023 at 2:40 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Watched episode #1 with Nebula, just okay. Might try episode #9 later. 

Quite a few episodes are somewhat connected.  Just watch it all straight through. 

If not then at least watch episodes 5, 6, 8, 9

I liked Episode 7.  Cate Blanchett's Hela is a lot of fun.

No.
overall
No. in
season
Title [5] Directed by [6] Written by [6] Original release date [5]
10 1 "What If... Nebula Joined the Nova Corps?" Stephan Franck Matthew Chauncey December 22, 2023
11 2 "What If... Peter Quill Attacked Earth's Mightiest Heroes?" Bryan Andrews Matthew Chauncey December 23, 2023
12 3 "What If... Happy Hogan Saved Christmas?" Bryan Andrews A. C. Bradley & Matthew Chauncey December 24, 2023
13 4 "What If... Iron Man Crashed into the Grandmaster?" Bryan Andrews A. C. Bradley December 25, 2023
14 5 "What If... Captain Carter Fought the Hydra Stomper?" Bryan Andrews A. C. Bradley December 26, 2023
15 6 "What If... Kahhori Reshaped the World?" Bryan Andrews Ryan Little December 27, 2023
16 7 "What If... Hela Found the Ten Rings?" Bryan Andrews Matthew Chauncey December 28, 2023
17 8 "What If... the Avengers Assembled in 1602?" Bryan Andrews A. C. Bradley & Ryan Little December 29, 2023
18 9 "What If... Strange Supreme Intervened?" Bryan Andrews Matthew Chauncey December 30, 2023

On 12/30/2023 at 5:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

First look at What If ? Season 3

Winter Soldier and Red Guardian

Again, I am really liking this artwork. And at least with this story it feels unique versus just a retelling of previous stories in a lazy approach compared to the WHAT IF comic stories themselves that made the right amount of changes to leave you wondering what could have been. These past two seasons had some standout stories. But not enough to make it worth the effort. Not yet anyway.

On 12/30/2023 at 5:31 PM, Bosco685 said:

Again, I am really liking this artwork. And at least with this story it feels unique versus just a retelling of previous stories in a lazy approach compared to the WHAT IF comic stories themselves that made the right amount of changes to leave you wondering what could have been. These past two seasons had some standout stories. But not enough to make it worth the effort. Not yet anyway.

You hit the nail on the head.   The best part is that they really think it out to the point that everything that happens is somewhat plausible. 

I know I keep mentioning her, but I genuinely liked the idea of what would have happened if the Tesseract / Space Stone fell to Earth during the age of North American conquest and colonization.    The interesting thing is that some of the events of Season 1 creeped their way into the narrative of the movies such as Captain Carter.  I am curious if that dimension that the Space Stone created comes into play for the cinematic universe.  Captain Marvel, Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver were given powers due to the Space Stone so it made sense for everyone in that realm to also receive some powers.   

Everything has been plausible and reasonable from big things such as how Peggy becomes Captain Carter to begin with to Bucky Barnes becoming a director of SHIELD or taking on that Robert Redford role from Winter Solider.   If you can go through the final episode.  I think I saw someone in the fight scene to the far side of the screen.  Let me know what you think.  (I have to take a pic with my phone since Disney has the screen grab blocker up when viewing on a tablet or computer.)

Spoiler

Is that guys face his own or is that a metal mask ?  Probably not a metal mask :( 

IMG_9427.thumb.JPG.a6a9716a81ae82585405ff28e75ee044.JPG